FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharecropping, tithes, land ownership, morons and tenants.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Sharecropping, tithes, land ownership, morons and tenants.
on Oct 11, 2013 at 9:14:52 pm

If we choose, now, to surrender all tool ownership across photography, illustration, motion graphics, web design and print design - to describe the areas where the adobe corporation hold near monopoly - what do we actually become at that point?

once we do that, once we become habitual tenant renters of the tools we need to earn our living - who exactly are we?

historically speaking I mean - I think we get blinded by the fact that we are engaged in largely bleeding edge areas such that we might be stupid enough not to recognise the anachronism inherent in the situation proposed for us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharecropping

we're morons. Literally morons all of us. the degree to which the proposal is predatory - and how far it stretches back in terms of predatory ownership instincts.

words would fail you: this isn't netflix, this is tilling another man's soil for the rest of your life to put food on the table. We're morons.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
Re: Sharecropping, tithes, land ownership, morons and tenants.
on Oct 12, 2013 at 1:18:30 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "once we do that, once we become habitual tenant renters of the tools we need to earn our living - who exactly are we? "

I think sometimes I must be going completely crazy.

Adobe's new proposition seems so obviously bad for most artists and developers, editors, graphic artists, photographers, business owners and anyone who believes in being independent and self sufficient without unnecessary dependencies. Becoming a slave to subscriptions forever in order to work, access your work or simply be able to work is the worst possible outcome conceivable. Adobe simply controls too many avenues of content creation, there is nowhere to go, at least for now. So for now, Aindreas is right: the consequence of not fighting this is indentured servitude. Why would we willingly be forced into this? I've heard countless people say "yeah, this blows, but I want the tools...".

There are certainly benefits to the CC model I suppose. But being forced into it against your will has got to be the single worst idea I have ever heard in my business. I agree with Aindreas, we must be crazy to let this happen.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 12, 2013 at 1:23:21 am

[Chris Pettit] "Adobe simply controls too many avenues of content creation, there is nowhere to go, at least for now"

I think there are quite a number of people creating content who don't use any Adobe software, or a very limited subset of it (like, say, Photoshop only, and everything else is other offerings).

It's a pretty big world out there if you think about it.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Oct 12, 2013 at 1:33:20 am

AE and FLASH are my two biggest tools.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 12, 2013 at 2:25:43 am

Like a lawnmower that you rent with a direct debit from your checking account. Don't pay, it sits in the garage but can't do anything. Who would do this? Car is in the drive, but if you don't subscribe it doesn't run. I don't want to subscribe to my tools...I want to own them.

Please.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 12, 2013 at 3:39:57 am

It is time for new tools. I hope there is an entity that understands this and creates them. I can't help but think that someone realizes the opportunity at hand and is already at work on something that is not only a capable substitute, but even better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 12, 2013 at 4:07:19 pm

[Chris Pettit] "AE and FLASH are my two biggest tools."

Good for you, doesn't mean that's the same for everyone else. In fact, a lot of people are developing for the web just fine without Flash.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Oct 13, 2013 at 12:30:09 am

The imminent failure of Flash is probably one of the biggest reasons Adobe is trying to make up that shortfall by milking us in perpetuity with this Creative Cloud rental racket.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Oct 13, 2013 at 10:28:59 pm

[Gary Huff] " In fact, a lot of people are developing for the web just fine without Flash."

I didn't say anything about the web. I haven't developed Flash for web in many years.

But amongst other things that we do, Flash is irreplaceable for custom touchscreen applications for trade show and live events.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Oct 14, 2013 at 11:39:02 am

Exactly the same as Chris. We work with Flash and Director on a daily basis for creating custom smartphone apps and desktop applications for heritage, trade show and visitor centre clients. Flash is still a very viable tool for us; that is until another one comes along that does the same job and doesn't require a subscription, and we will dump it faster than you can say ..... Flash!

Still only on CS6 - we won't be moving to CC until we can buy it, and if this never happens we will say goodbye to Adobe forever - it is a viable option....

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 14, 2013 at 7:24:19 pm

I've been saying it for months, now. Glad someone was tuned in.

Additionally, whereas the actual slaveocrat controlled local land regulated by local laws and voting, the rentier-capitalism of software via the internet is global and largely unregulated. If anyone is interested, there's much more on the topic, here: http://www.amazon.com/Intellectuals-Class-Power-Helen-Wolff/dp/0151778604

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 14, 2013 at 8:42:06 pm

Indeed there Herd - I just hit on a way of regurgitating your points already made.

damn all difference its going to make either.
unless the subscriptions decelerate - unless adobe start to hit a basic resistance wall somewhere early between one and two million - then its a done deal.

If the numbers run out of steam in the first half of next year maybe they have to re-evaluate - much after that and they'll wait for os compatibility and market forces to corral the last million plus or so holdouts into line. then they've got a functioning rental base to monetise. they've got shareholder/analyst carte blanche to ride this experiment out to 2015.

Its the fact that no one can wrap their heads around the basic idea that this is all pre-show for monetising that future rental base, with near monopoly products in many cases that would make you bang your head on the desk.

Creative cloud my ass. We are idiots. We might have some third level degrees, but we're not half morons in the round.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Oct 14, 2013 at 11:05:34 pm

Dare I say Adobe is the modern day Communist state?

ronpesteshdvideo.com
JVC GY-HM600
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium
MacBook Pro
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:29:42 pm

Dude, you have it ass-backward. It is rentier capitalist--the opposite of communist. (maybe you were being ironic, I don't know; I was never a good hipster.)

Return to posts index

John Joyce
on Oct 15, 2013 at 12:30:51 am

My fear is that we ain't seen nothing yet.

How is this for a next step? Software companies demand a piece of the action. Something like the terms of a shop lease in a mall, where you have to pay a percentage of the turnover - the top line, not the bottom line - as well as the rent. When most accounting and bank records these days are electronic, it may not be impossible to do.

I am inclined to think that the story of creative industries over the last century is the grinding down of the creators, so that eventually they will work for the minimum wage; or better still, nothing at all.

A hundred years ago, a writer could make a comfortable middle-class income by producing a novel every two years. The lion's share is now taken by the publishers. Consider what has happened to still photographers. How many can make a living? Very few can make stock photography work for them Look at Hollywood accounting and the music industry:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100712/23482610186.shtml

I don't know the answer. Maybe there isn't one.

Sell the Porsche; buy a bus ticket. And bend over.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:28:45 pm

Bad news: the numbers will not run out of steam.
Even more bad news: it's such an efficient delivery system, competitors and like-minded businesses will be forced to follow the trend.
But wait there's extra bad news: Think about "the old days," when an NLE cost $90k...is that what NASDAQ: ADBE is eyeing--a return to that kind of money?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 15, 2013 at 1:16:05 am

I'll do this again even - last rant -

the intrinsic health of viable tools in the hands of those earning by them is a bit shot here.

that's a problem for any conception of a contemporary market -

this feels dangerously close to a dick move to re-assert nineteenth century style tool ownership with conjoined worker execution.
Adobe software- as a tool turned capital asset where profit is now primarily derived from its rental tenant execution?

no shut up - how are you going to word it?

and that from a relatively transient vulnerable low scale earning groups? we're not all all-stars.

what - in the hell - are we doing here? Are we meant to protect adobe, or ourselves? If ourselves, are we morons?

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Oct 15, 2013 at 8:24:23 am

Aindreas - you've got a great way with words.

I think I might go and set fire to my Adobe disks and fire up FCPX.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:35:45 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "as a tool turned capital asset where profit is now primarily derived from its rental tenant execution"

That point maybe the only saving grace (mentioned by Oliver in another post) where Universities and Large Post Houses, Inc. have a sharp accounting distinction between capital assets and expenses. I'm relatively certain that those big folks's accounting departments will not bend over and rent tools.

This NASDAQ: ADBE delivery system seems like a watershed moment, in software distribution.

On the other hand, NASDQ: ADBE could provide the software for free and sell advertising to us as we use their software (vis a vis NASDAQ: GOOG.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:47:38 pm

[Richard Herd] "That point maybe the only saving grace (mentioned by Oliver in another post) where Universities and Large Post Houses, Inc. have a sharp accounting distinction between capital assets and expenses. I'm relatively certain that those big folks's accounting departments will not bend over and rent tools. "

I'm not so sure. Lots of businesses over the last decade or so have been very eager to replace capital expenditures with operational expenditures wherever possible. If you can put the emotion around subscription aside, Creative Cloud may actually be quite attractive to your accountant.

Probably not so much to educational institutions for a variety of reasons.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 15, 2013 at 4:55:39 pm

I should clarify. Large post houses may have other reasons (like the other posters here do) for not liking Creative Cloud, but I doubt the accountants are the ones holding up the red flag.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:41:44 pm

Corporate political football -- which department wants the monthly expense: IT or Production or Post? The context here is (meaningful) push back to Adobe, because I'm assuming my small dough won't make a loud voice, and "workers of the world unite" rhetoric is more akin to Don Quixote and windmills.

You may be right, LargePostHouseIncorporated.com might not push back and that would leave Universities. But being non-profits, they might get a new deal from Adobe.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Oct 15, 2013 at 10:53:02 pm

Adobe did not make its target for subscribers despite its firesale. i doubt very much that they will make the 4 million unless they give it out free like aol did. the cc is capatilist wet dream and will stay that way.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:51:32 pm

[Richard Herd] "I'm assuming my small dough won't make a loud voice, and "workers of the world unite" rhetoric is more akin to Don Quixote and windmills. "

yep. It's fun to bang out sentences but it makes little difference. I'd still like to see that they got their numbers wrong on the 3.5-4 million they need for a viable permanent subscription without any offer of an optout

like you I know of some people - one large broadcaster, and one extremely large post group dragging their heels over licensing terms.

presumably they have full on accountants doing some long term sums and projections for getting into bed with permanent tool hire at scale.
the point being that that is not something they have ever associated with adobe as a software partner.

I wouldn't totally discount the small fry tho - as krill we still make a large part of that proposed 3.5-4 million target they have set themselves and the market as viable.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:02:09 pm

Just today, a few minutes ago, I received Illustrator and Photoshop files that I animated in After Effects.

I am forced to rent. Accounts need to figure this out soon, and I argue IT should be paying for it as part of their software stack!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 16, 2013 at 10:08:16 pm

I'd very much rather the available pool dries up between 2 and 2.5 million subscribers. because then they are fresh out of luck on tool rental.

you'd have to think they've done some incredibly careful actuarial analysis on this tho - including when, over the 2012-15 cycle, the various holdouts fall over.

you'd kill for a functioning competitive software announcement of weight, but maybe there's not likely to be one if all the other real players are rooting for this to run well for adobe.
subscription is corporate nirvana really? if anyone reads Banks and the culture - you'd have to think it's about the equivalent of a sales orientated corporation subliming to a higher realm..

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 16, 2013 at 11:24:05 pm

Wouldn't actually kill, might break some knuckles.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "there's not likely to be one if all the other real players are rooting for this to run well for adobe."

Bingo.

It's very efficient delivery -- renting, checking in monthly. It offers some nice perks for the user like instant updates (theoretically). And from corporate computing environment being able to lay-off workers and save their computing expenses instantly adds to the efficiency.

There are 3 delivery systems competing for efficiency: iTunes, Google with Ads, and Adobe rental. NASDAQ:ADBE is surely trying to get their stock price to that silicon valley price. It's clearly a good time to invest in NASDAQ:ADBE even if one does not use the software.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 17, 2013 at 3:35:44 pm

[Richard Herd] "Just today, a few minutes ago, I received Illustrator and Photoshop files that I animated in After Effects. I am forced to rent..."

No, you're not. You DO have a permanent-license version of AE, correct? Why not use it, reninventing the wheel, and then tell the bean counters that if they don't keep up the payments, this may continue to happen? And follow it up with advice that they should demand a permanent license?

A little extra pressure to abandon this foolish and disastrous rent-only model.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 17, 2013 at 8:29:47 pm

Even if I changed to Nuke and the graphic designer still uses psd and ai...I'd need something -- I guess more legacy versions. Big bummer with my CS2 though.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Oct 18, 2013 at 11:14:32 pm

[Richard Herd] "Big bummer with my CS2 though."

Wait, you're still on CS2? :)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 25, 2013 at 7:00:17 pm

I put it on my kids computer, but then I updated it to 10.8 and it refused to open CS2 -- not Adobe's fault that OSX no longer supports "PowerPC apps."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 19, 2013 at 12:50:04 am

I bet CS4 and CS 5.5 and perhaps even 6 can be had on eBay.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]