FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where is the reassurance that this won't happen again?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Where is the reassurance that this won't happen again?
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:31:54 am

As one of the people who had their details hacked I am looking for some sort of reassurance that Adobe have actually done something to prevent this happening again. Would anyone from Adobe care to comment?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Where is the reassurance that this won't happen again?
on Oct 9, 2013 at 1:05:32 pm

[Steve Connor] "As one of the people who had their details hacked I am looking for some sort of reassurance that Adobe have actually done something to prevent this happening again. Would anyone from Adobe care to comment?"

It will happen again...or are you the kind of person who is always prepared for every eventuality and thus can hold a hard line on this subject?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 9, 2013 at 3:15:24 pm

[Gary Huff] "or are you the kind of person who is always prepared for every eventuality and thus can hold a hard line on this subject?"

No, but I'd like them to tell us that they have found out how they got in and have taken all possible steps to stop it happening again.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Oct 9, 2013 at 3:33:10 pm

[Steve Connor] "No, but I'd like them to tell us that they have found out how they got in and have taken all possible steps to stop it happening again."

Based on past history, I wouldn't hold my breath:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/08/technology/security/adobe-security/index.ht...

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 9, 2013 at 6:43:43 pm

[Steve Connor] "No, but I'd like them to tell us that they have found out how they got in and have taken all possible steps to stop it happening again."

If they did would you believe them?

Granted some companies are better at maintaining security (or at least fixing holes quickly) than others but it's a constant game of cat and mouse between security and hackers.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:09:02 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Granted some companies are better at maintaining security (or at least fixing holes quickly) than others but it's a constant game of cat and mouse between security and hackers."

Exactly right.

I am part of the Apple Developer network, they got hacked just a few months ago. Lots of other companies too.

I highly doubt anyone will seriously make the claim to keep your money under the mattress, but that's definitely the direction your nose is pointed in if you think that having your information out there is a terrible thing that should be avoided at all costs.

Are some of you actually mailing in a check every month for every single one of your bills? If you're not, you're vulnerable. Someone want to suggest we should all start doing that to?

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:25:20 pm

[Gary Huff] "Are some of you actually mailing in a check every month for every single one of your bills? If you're not, you're vulnerable. Someone want to suggest we should all start doing that to?"

And checks are hardly a safe method. Your account ID and routing number are printed on the check (usually along with your name and address).

Return to posts index

Daniel McClintock
on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:41:22 pm

I think this is going to be the norm for our world from now on. In the past two years I've been affected by hacks to Adobe, iTunes, Amazon and my state utility. Any company that uses credit card information is subject to hacking. We have to be diligent. We have to keep our anti-virus software up-to-date, we have to change out passwords every so often, we have to clear our browser information on a daily basis... and we have to keep an eye out on our bank account for any strange activity. You say you won't be able to trust Adobe for not taking appropriate action. I say we can't rely on any company we give our credit card information to.

-------------------

"Sometimes Life Needs a Cmd-Z!"

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:47:46 pm

I use cs6 on a non internet pc and have never been hacked nor infected

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:16:00 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "I use cs6 on a non internet pc and have never been hacked nor infected"

I use CS6 on a Windows desktop and on a Mac laptop and have connected to numerous networks and have never gimped myself in any way with connectivity and I haven't been hacked or infected.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:06:26 pm

[Daniel McClintock] "I say we can't rely on any company we give our credit card information to."

Exactly. It's up to you to guard your information because it's virtually impossible to maintain the integrity of a massive archive of information such as this when you have a lot of clever and determined individuals who want access to it.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:48:13 am

Just take a couple of precautions.
1) long, complex passwords. I use 64 random characters when and wherever I can. Different ones for each service.
2) change your passwords regularly. Every month, or so.
3) only use pre-paid credit card(s) with limited funds you replenish manually
4) use fake personal information whenever you can to throw off identity theft
5) use a service like paypal instead of supplying every site on the web with your credit card info. I don't like them, but at least I prevent myself from throwing around my CC info.
6) limit or avoid the use of social networks. Or at least use fake identities.

and
7) do not subscribe to services like Adobe CC. Use perpetual license software instead. ;-)

Yes, I am paranoid on the web. Because I know how easy it is for crackers to get hold of information to abuse.

The Adobe CC thing is just asking for trouble - and trouble has happened far too often now in Adobe's case for me to ever trust them to take their security seriously.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:56:52 pm

[Herbert van der wegen] "1) long, complex passwords. I use 64 random characters when and wherever I can. Different ones for each service."

Different passwords for each service is good, but damn that typing in 64 random characters. Every single time? Are you using a password management system to help with that, because if you're not just typing it in manually each time, you're not really protecting yourself that much.

That said, I use software to generate random strings of passwords (usually about 12 characters) and I save them in Firefox for anything that's not financial related. Plus, 2-factor authentication is excellent, but annoying nonetheless.

[Herbert van der wegen] "3) only use pre-paid credit card(s) with limited funds you replenish manually"

This is way more of a hassle than it's worth. Most card vendors are really good about alerting you to strange purchases, and my experience with AMEX in this regard has been excellent. More often than not, it's actually me, but they still call anyway.

[Herbert van der wegen] "6) limit or avoid the use of social networks. Or at least use fake identities."

Don't even bother with social networking if you're going to use a fake identity in my opinion. It just annoys people you refer to as "friends".

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:44:35 pm

[Gary Huff] "Different passwords for each service is good, but damn that typing in 64 random characters. Every single time? Are you using a password management system to help with that, because if you're not just typing it in manually each time, you're not really protecting yourself that mu"

Mavericks rocks at this. No, really. I can't wait till it's out because it manages this natively where 1Password (which I also use as much as possible) is hampered by lack of OS level integration. It encourages lots of extremely long passwords and they all sync across all devices. Very nice.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Oct 14, 2013 at 11:44:22 am

As I understand it, in the very near future in the UK at least, once any companies network security has been breached that deals with the storage of private data and payment information, that company will be legally obliged to notify affected users within 24 hours of discovering the threat.

Adobe might not be able to stop themselves getting hacked, but they have to notify users as soon as they know about the infection....

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:05:57 pm

[Tom Sefton] "Adobe might not be able to stop themselves getting hacked, but they have to notify users as soon as they know about the infection...."

Except they aren't based in the UK?

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Oct 14, 2013 at 8:48:24 pm

I'm probably wrong again, but I think that it's actually an EU law which is pretty strict for any firm that wants to trade in the EU. Plus Adobe has offices in Holland?

Doubtless they will find some sort of way to weasel out of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]