FORUMS: list search recent posts

What if CC gets hacked

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Pestes
What if CC gets hacked
on Oct 9, 2013 at 12:40:47 am

I don't know if this has come up before but what happens if the CC software itself gets hacked and then downloaded with the update? OOOPS! Guess everyone is screwed right out of business and who knows how much damage it could cause. Give me discs any day!

ronpesteshdvideo.com
JVC GY-HM600
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium
MacBook Pro
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: What if CC gets hacked
on Oct 9, 2013 at 3:23:29 am

Web browsers, operating systems and ubiquitous programs & plugins the vast majority of computer users have installed on their systems have already been hacked. And patched. And hacked again. And patched again...

Many reactions here remind of when The Hot Zone was popular and people started freaking out about germs even though the germs had always been there.

EDIT:
Getting hacked is a legit concern but the concern should be system wide and not just focused on a single vender.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Oct 9, 2013 at 3:40:00 am

CC is updated rapidly. PL's are not. Increased risk, reduced risk. Is risk eliminated with PL's? Of course not. But that doesn't change the calculation.

I could get hit by a bolt of lightning in my backyard randomly. Or I could go out and stand on a golf course with a giant metal flagpole during a thunderstorm. NOT the same risk.

The question is simple and frankly sensible: Do cloud based solutions present more or less security risks? This is a particularly rational question to ask

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:05:46 am

[Chris Pettit] "CC is updated rapidly. PL's are not. Increased risk, reduced risk. Is risk eliminated with PL's? Of course not. But that doesn't change the calculation.
"

I'm talking about more than Photoshop and Premiere though. I'm talking web browsers, Java plugins, OS exploits, etc., Sure someone *might* be able to use PPro CC to hack your machine tomorrow but I'd bet dollars to donuts they could hack it via a number of different avenues today.

[Chris Pettit] "The question is simple and frankly sensible: Do cloud based solutions present more or less security risks? This is a particularly rational question to ask"

A machine that directly or indirectly comes in contact with the Internet it is less secure than a machine that does not. The follow up question is, of course, how much convenient and useful is it to have a machine that is connected to the Internet and weigh that vs the inherent risks of being online.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Oct 9, 2013 at 4:17:52 am

being connected to the internet is not the same as being connected to a SAAS solution, or even a frequently updated "download and install" solution, would you agree?

SAAS means you trust the source of your applications. I realize the Adobe CC is something different, but internet and SAAS are not the same level of risk.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:48:02 pm

[Chris Pettit] "being connected to the internet is not the same as being connected to a SAAS solution, or even a frequently updated "download and install" solution, would you agree?"

I think being online is a much higher level of risk. Just the act of being connected or web browsing exposes the computer to malicious software (trojans, viruses, etc.,) that leverages everything from text documents to streaming video to the underpinnings of web browsers and operating systems.

I'm not really any more worried about Adobe than I am Evernote, Dropbox or Spotify.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Oct 9, 2013 at 6:39:21 am

According to the report the Adobe hackers went exclusively after Web and PDF related programs. These formats are the ones associated with monetary transactions, and therefore interesting for hackers...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 9, 2013 at 2:00:13 pm

You might recall that Java was exploited, which is why Apple silently disabled it on all Macs connected to the Internet without the owners being notified.

While done in the best interests of the users, it was a bit disconcerting that this action was taken without warning or even knowledge that it happened at all. That is, until you tried to use some software dependent on Java or an older version of it. In fact, you cannot now run a version of Java that is compatible with FC Server if that machine is connected to the Internet, thus effectively crippling an otherwise, still-compatible application.

If you want to stay connected to the Internet, your only current recourse is to stay as current as possible and hope the vendor stays one step ahead - or at least closely behind - the bad guys.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Oct 9, 2013 at 5:06:16 pm

[Oliver Peters] "which is why Apple silently disabled it on all Macs connected to the Internet without the owners being notified"

To be fair, Apple made an announcement months prior to handing Macintosh Java development back to Oracle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]