FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can this (Please!) be the end of subscription software?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Can this (Please!) be the end of subscription software?
on Oct 4, 2013 at 1:52:58 pm

Exactly why I resist giving over direct debit info to any and every software I own....I prefer a single transaction, a box of software and upgrades when I merit them necessary.

I am not alone...I hope.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/03/technology/security/adobe-hack/index.html?h...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Can this (Please!) be the end of subscription software?
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:14:58 pm

I fail to see the difference between Adobe having my CC info for a monthly fee versus GoDaddy or Lynda or Videoblocks or an internet server space provider.

There are precious few of us...in this industry at least...that can say they have no monthly services charged to a bank or credit account.

Got an iPhone? an Xbox? a Playstation? They've all been hacked in the last couple years...Amazon was hacked in August...not to mention the banks and credit card companies themselves that have been hacked.

You can not like software subscriptions and you can not like a company that lets itself be hacked, but connecting them as cause and effect ignores the rest of the world's history of corporate IT security issues for decades...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:04:50 pm

[Tim Kolb] "You can not like software subscriptions and you can not like a company that lets itself be hacked, but connecting them as cause and effect ignores the rest of the world's history of corporate IT security issues for decades..."

True, but by acquiescing to it, you simply perpetuate the issue.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:37:49 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "True, but by acquiescing to it, you simply perpetuate the issue."

I'm not acquiescing to it...I'm just keeping the two reasons to be upset with Adobe compartmentalized.

Each are legitimate reasons to have a beef with Adobe.

On this forum however, every negative thing about Adobe from a 2% stock value fluctuation to a product feature decision is automatically linked to/blamed on software subscription and its overwhelming pox on our entire industry...

And yet most positive things offered about Adobe's running of the subscription service thus far are usually dismissed as blind advocacy or the work of compliant rose-colored glasses.

I'm not even sure I prefer subscription for myself, and I can't say it's all worked perfectly, but it's been far from all bad...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:35:36 pm

Thing is, it's not really about whether the subscription model is good or 'evil'. It depends on the customer. The point is that Adobe could resolve this mess by offering a choice for either a license OR subscription.

Everybody happy (except the shareholders).

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:18:07 pm

Count me as one in this business who does not have a CC 'on file' with anyone for recurring monthly charges.
Whenever I see news like this, I am happy about that choice.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Oct 4, 2013 at 4:37:22 pm

You are NOT alone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]