FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creative Cloud App still shows a clueless and unpolished Adobe

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Moody
Creative Cloud App still shows a clueless and unpolished Adobe
on Sep 18, 2013 at 3:22:30 pm

I have previously complained about the Creative Cloud app. Ostensibly the function of this app is supposed to be quite simple--it unifies the installed CC apps and services and allows the user to install, and update his CC suite. Since it is sort of the face of Creative Cloud, one might think that Adobe would endeavor to put some care into the app, especially considering its rather modest function.

But it has never worked well.

It frequently is the last place you will find out about updates-pushing update info is apparently too hard for Adobe to tackle. It was said that the app would catch up within 24 hours or that quitting and restarting the app (!) would allow it to catch up.

Today we see a new low in the CC functionality and a sort of snapshot of the haphazard way that CC has been thrown together without care.

Today there is a new update for LightRoom.

I read about the update on someone's blog. I checked the CC app--no mention of the update. I quit and restarted the app--it is still brain dead about any update.

I started up Lightroom and was immediately informed by a startup dialog of an update and that the update used a procedure completely outside of CC to install the update: going to a web page downloading a disk image andinstalling by hand.

Will the CC app recognize the new version now? Who knows?

The readme talks all about entering serial numbers and so forth--no mention at all of Creative Cloud. I'm scared to install it.

Is this the way the CC experience is supposed to work? Who knows? Does anyone at Adobe ever think about the user? Who knows?

At Adobe's LightRoom forum, I see people now streaming in asking about this issue--as is typical, no answers from Adobe.

This slipshod manner of running things may not trouble anyone else but I think it shows just how clueless and amateurish Adobe is about the user experience.

YMMV,

Lance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creative Cloud App still shows a clueless and unpolished Adobe
on Sep 18, 2013 at 8:02:43 pm

Well, in appreciation of the hard working Soldier software engineers at Adobe, I doubt it's because they're clueless. I'm of the mind that this whole Creative Cloud foolishness was imposed on them from On High, with a mandate to Get It To Work By This Deadline.

....unfortunately, the folks On High may not have anticipated the difficulties of getting all that software -- originally from different developers, mind you -- to play nicely together.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 18, 2013 at 10:51:35 pm

Hi Lance,
Sorry for your troubles. Unfortunately, Lightroom doesn't see the update via CC manager. Instead, choose Help > Check for Updates from within Lightroom. The CC app may report Lightroom being up to date incorrectly. So in the case of Lightroom, trust the updater before the CC app.

This is a known issue that we are working on right now. Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2013 at 11:45:19 pm

Is it because you can actually buy Lightroom :)

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Sep 19, 2013 at 4:19:19 am

Thanks Kevin,

The point is not that I had a lot of trouble. Compared to some of Adobe's previous update schemes it was relatively painless.

The point is that Adobe shows a lack of care. It's a poor fit and finish for those of us paying for your premium "suite".

You understand, I hope.

Lance

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:10:07 am

To be fair to Adobe, Lightroom did come in late in the CC subscription offering. But I generally see the same problems with other Apps as well. The CC App needs attention.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 19, 2013 at 5:39:06 pm

Thanks for your feedback, guys.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Sep 30, 2013 at 1:57:23 pm

I assume that the whole CC is a work in progress. They've only had this out for about a year, and it will take another couple of years to iron out the issues. None of this is a show stopper from my point of view, and I have though that the CC approach has been a good deal for me. But I'm a small single man shop. Maybe others in larger environments would have problems I wouldn't see.

By the way, Morten, thank you for participating in this forum. The fact that Adobe folks have actually been on this and the Adobe forums and taking the time to communicated with us is one of the reasons I buy (or rent!) your products...I've never seen an Apple person come on any board at all.

Al

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Sep 30, 2013 at 2:05:09 pm

I do love my new job at Adobe - Evangelist or whatever they wil make of me ; )

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:55:15 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "I do love my new job at Adobe - Evangelist or whatever they wil make of me ; )"

Whoops! Hey Al, I'm the Adobe guy.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]