FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe breaks pricing logic and runs screaming to Photoshop home plate.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Adobe breaks pricing logic and runs screaming to Photoshop home plate.
on Sep 6, 2013 at 11:12:00 pm

two image adjustment apps now for half the price of any other single application in the suite?

Is there a web version of this?
A print version?

Can we have Pr and Ae for the same terms? Is there a new two app rental tier that sits at half price below the previous one app rental floor?

Is this starting to be a joke? Is adobe beginning to sustain any real damage yet?

Seriously to one and all - stakeholders etc- who doesn't actually feel that this isn't beginning to feel a bit out of hand.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
Re: Adobe breaks pricing logic and runs screaming to Photoshop home plate.
on Sep 7, 2013 at 1:50:08 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "two image adjustment apps now for half the price of any other single application in the suite?
"

I agree, this seems really odd. Is Adobe caving in to pressure from its customers or are they trying to pump up subscription numbers?

I assume that Adobe sees photographers as a unique market, deserving of special attention.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that Adobe wants to cozy up to them with a reduced rental offer. Video, Motion Graphics, Animation, Web Dev, and Print take a back seat to the almighty Photoshop/Lightroom customers.

Regardless of the price, you're still renting, that's the deal breaker.

The only reason I still visit this forum is to read your post Aindreas, keep up the good work.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Sep 7, 2013 at 4:21:06 am

It *is* strange. If anyone would have told me a year ago Adobe would offer a lifetime Photoshop and Lightroom license for $120 a year, I'd have thought them bonkers.

The only viable reason behind this offer must be short-term thinking: getting enough subscribers to pacify the shareholders this Autumn/Winter. Adobe is severely undercutting themselves - doesn't look good to me.

Another issue, of course, is all the ruckus surrounding whistleblower Snowden: as a company I would think twice about the "cloud" now, since all files we put up the web are monitored.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 7, 2013 at 11:45:50 am

[Herbert van der wegen] "Another issue, of course, is all the ruckus surrounding whistleblower Snowden: as a company I would think twice about the "cloud" now, since all files we put up the web are monitored"

Take every bet: If NSA wants to monitor, it doesn´t matter if the files are local (PC online) or clouded. They get it.
(There where discussions decades ago that there are backdoors in windows and other software)
But true, it´s more easy for them to scan, if you deliver your live to the cloud.
And it´s also a question of availability. If servers down - files are gone (if not mirrored).

[Herbert van der wegen] "Adobe would offer a lifetime Photoshop and Lightroom license for $120 a year"

Is this up to table already? And who can guaranty a "Lifetime offer"? I don´t think they will do. Who knows what 9.9 $ are in a decade?
(I think that there will be a special part in their EULA)
It´s only for their business-reports.
All the photoshop enthusiasts (which are more than half of Adobes users) will be shown as cloud members.
Wonder how many they will have on first december (end of fiscal year).
May be they reach their self set target of 1.25 K. But it looks like, the CashCow is more avoided than even Adobe thought.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:30:00 pm

They are shooting themself in the foot with a gun that is getting bigger by the day.

I will never hire software on the basis that I dont own ongoing access to my work. Adobe can go to hell. CS6 will work for me until it no longer is possible, then our business will move to fcpx and another image based piece of software.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 7, 2013 at 4:24:37 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Is this starting to be a joke? Is adobe beginning to sustain any real damage yet? "

From what I can see, no damage yet to the company and folks I'm dealing with on a regular basis are coming around to the subscriptions.

This pricing seems to just be an extension of the $19.99 for a single app they were already offering.

You need to keep in mind that Adobe has been saying for a while that the Cloud will continue to evolve and with that pricing. I believe this is an example of Adobe responding to feedback on what folks want.

Perpetual licensing most likely will never return, but they will continue to evolve the Cloud subscriptions based on user requests.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Can we have Pr and Ae for the same terms? Is there a new two app rental tier that sits at half price below the previous one app rental floor? "

Have you made a feature request yet? You can bet that's likely how this new Photoshop deal came along.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Southeast Creative Summit, Oct 25-27. Register Now! Save with code: creat...
Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 7, 2013 at 4:50:16 pm

Making Adobe react with feature requests?
Sorry but that sounds...
They can´t get enough users into the cloud & they are losing the photoshop community.
Maybe digital imaging is not longer called "photoshoping" in future (even if "gimping" sounds funny).
That´s it & nothing else.
They need their numbers for Wall-Street.
To believe Adobe is doing us a favor here is... I´m out of words.
Every bet: You will never see a 9.99 "lifetime" offer for something else than photoshop (with estimated 10 K users)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2013 at 7:00:22 pm

I can't help but feel that people at Adobe are being instructed to maintain a cheery and confident face to outsiders while doubt and grumbling takes place within.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 9, 2013 at 11:55:59 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I can't help but feel that people at Adobe are being instructed to maintain a cheery and confident face to outsiders while doubt and grumbling takes place within."

I don't know. 150 new updates less than 6 months after the first release.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Southeast Creative Summit, Oct 25-27. Register Now! Save with code: creat...
Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:01:51 pm

For all Vid. Apps (Seems, that is not much more than in previous updates if you take that per App. Also not astounding compared to other companies)
Anything necessary within? Or just error correction/GUI color etc.?
They have to mollify and catch us till next business report.
Let´s see, how they act in 2014 (or after end of catching Cloudies period) and ongoing....

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 7, 2013 at 5:35:05 pm

[walter biscardi] "I believe this is an example of Adobe responding to feedback on what folks want."

I'll give you this walter - you're funny.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Sep 9, 2013 at 5:53:59 am

[Walter Biscardi]"You need to keep in mind that Adobe has been saying for a while that the Cloud will continue to evolve and with that pricing. I believe this is an example of Adobe responding to feedback on what folks want.

Perpetual licensing most likely will never return, but they will continue to evolve the Cloud subscriptions based on user requests.
"

My apologies. I could not resist. :-)

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]