FORUMS: list search recent posts

CC vs CS6 on eBay

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nels McLaughlin
CC vs CS6 on eBay
on Sep 6, 2013 at 8:58:19 pm

I have a fulltime job as editor/camera op/producer/everything-video-guy, but I'm also a freelance editor from home on nights/weekends, and I've been looking into buying Adobe Production Premium CS6 off eBay, but only if I could find a good deal.

I found a copy of PP CS6 for extremely cheap recently on eBay, got freaked out with how cheap it was ("How could he possibly be selling it for that much!? Something is definitely wrong here."), and let it pass by. But then I got to thinking that maybe that was my opportunity to get a lifetime CS6 license for next-to-nothing.

I don't get a ton of freelance work, so maybe CC is ideal for me, but having my own license and serial is nice - plus, if I want to check it out later and steal some things I've already done from a previous comp, I can do that.

My question is...if I'm going to buy CS6 (or any type of software) on eBay, what sort of things should I be looking for? I know the basics -- non OEM products, make sure it's not an upgrade, make sure its the right OS -- but what else should I be looking for to make sure my next opportunity of getting a CS6 license for under $100 doesn't pass me by? Or should I come to grips that maybe I should just succumb to Adobe's evil ways and move to CC?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: CC vs CS6 on eBay
on Sep 7, 2013 at 2:35:59 am

I suggest reading this:
http://prodesigntools.com/dont-buy-adobe-software-on-ebay-craigslist-or-ama...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 7, 2013 at 11:28:52 am

...don´t buy anything from anywhere as Adobe, huh?

If you check back with the seller (via eBay Mail) if...
... original copy
... register able
... upgrade able
... no student version
... photo of product
and pay secure

Why not?
It´s an advantage of CS, that you are able to sell.
(Other than with this horrible CashCow CC)

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 7, 2013 at 2:37:11 am

I bought my perfectly legal copy of the CS6 Master Collection on *bay for about a third of the street price. The trick to making sure what you get on *bay is legal, is to ask the seller if they guarantee that the software is legal, and can be registered and updated, and, if not, that they will refund the purchase price. Once this is sent through the Ebay mail system, you have a promise from the seller which *bay will stand behind. If the software is no good, you get your money back.

Be wary - some people tout that the software is the full version, but it's an educational copy (check the packaging picture, and ask, if need be). Some sellers will sell software which has been registered to them, and tell you that's no problem. It is a problem -licenses can be transferred, but it's not worth the trouble. You can find amazing deals on the real thing - just keep your eyes open and ask questions.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Nels McLaughlin
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:05:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions for questions to ask the seller - and thank you, Todd, for responding with a link (that certainly raised some concerns I wasn't aware of). I'm sure there are others out there like me who are wondering the same thing and having an extra resource out there will help them, too.

Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]