FORUMS: list search recent posts

To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price until the sun runs out of hydrogen.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price until the sun runs out of hydrogen.
on Sep 4, 2013 at 10:07:47 pm

And welcome everyone to the sweaty desperation stakes live show.

I presume adobe are going to be counting these new, price guaranteed for all human time subscriptions to the all new "photoshop photography program" (god that was a late night phrasing in PR) within the hard Q4 1.25M adoption target.

now I say until the sun dies because there is no qualifying legal language readily available.

Let's all go to the page together shall we?

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/introducing-the-photoshop-photography-...

let me post the relevant language again:

To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the [their italics] price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013. This offer will be available at the same time we introduce the new version of Lightroom 5.2 in a couple weeks.

I'm sorry, you sweaty second hand car salesmen for a cashed out management - what does the no longer introductory "the price" mean?
If its not introductory, is it in perpetuity?

Arent you suppose to legally qualify that statement? - because hilariously, when they say "to learn more", they direct you to an ancient vanilla paper CC FAQ.

I'm almost not kidding - nevermind the screaming desperation written all over the language - is it legal for it to be that loose?
Where the hell is the asterix?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Gwen Lindsey
Re: To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price until the sun runs out of hydrogen.
on Sep 4, 2013 at 10:36:13 pm

From the FAQ:
Will the cost of my Photoshop Photography Program membership increase?

Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price.

They didn't say it well, but I think they are saying, unlike some sales promotions that say "Join for the introductory price of X [which will change to Y after 6 months]", for this promotion the $9.99/month will stay that price for you forever, if you sign up by 12/31/13, and don't un-join and re-join for any reason.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price until the sun runs out of hydrogen.
on Sep 4, 2013 at 11:05:03 pm

[Gwen Lindsey] "think they are saying, unlike some sales promotions that say "Join for the introductory price of X [which will change to Y after 6 months]", for this promotion the $9.99/month will stay that price for you forever, if you sign up by 12/31/13, and don't un-join and re-join for any reason."

A - sure, OK, but inflation can have a real impact there. Photoshop will cost those people an awful lot less than the locked ten bucks inside a decade or so of continuous inflation increases. It's hard to believe the remaining adobe accountants signed that off.

B- i don't believe the $9.999 statement represents anything close to the true legal position of Adobe on this offer. I almost hope so - otherwise it's car salesmen left on the floor scribbling on a piece of paper to try and get subscriptions.

C- broadly speaking this is all starting to feel more than a bit dodgy. It really is.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 6, 2013 at 3:10:04 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " broadly speaking this is all starting to feel more than a bit dodgy. It really is."

Aindreas, you do have the ability to make whatever Adobe does fit into your conclusion that they're somehow trying to exploit us poor customers.

As with any product, the manufacturer has the right to raise prices whenever they want to...assuming their customers will tolerate it. No price is ever guaranteed until the end of time, and the statement simply says that the price is good for the entire term that you purchase.

The whole Creative Cloud thing isn't perfect for everybody and pointing out why the arrangement doesn't work for you is legitimate, but the constant implication that Adobe is doing business dishonestly is worn out.

It's time to learn a new song.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 6, 2013 at 6:32:38 pm

[Tim Kolb] "the constant implication that Adobe is doing business dishonestly is worn out.
"

Oh Timothy - even pcpro over here said the announcement and the lack of clarity of terms is a bit bizarre.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/383989/adobe-throws-cheap-creative-cloud-packag...
An Adobe blog post announcing the new programme confusingly insists it is "not an introductory price," but "the price for those of you who sign up by 31 December 2013". Whether that means the price will increase after the turn of the year is anyone's guess.

In short, you are, for the umpteenth time, putting words into my mouth. I've never once called adobe dishonest, plenty else but not that. you are constructing a false argument to knock down. Its a poor debating habit.

This is just a weird new offshoot deal, with no clarification of terms or length of pricing, out of the blue.

so now, please follow on here Tim:

We have the suite for £46.88 per month.

A single app for £17.58 per month

And now two apps for £8.78 per month.

Its not dishonest Tim - its completely all over the place.

It frankly reeks of subscription uptake desperation - or, you know, everything is fine.

Basically, The pricing is now incoherent and some piggies are visibly more equal than others.
Why would I sign on now, not that I would, when they might start doing other zany new things to the pricing structure?
Look at that pricing tier structure again - adobe are losing control of the sales structure exactly four months in.

What particularly irritated me was the adobe PR rep Todd there saying - hey! make your voice heard! - it's annoying because this isn't a customer engagement, they were running scared of the PS crowd, such that they gave them a deal that completely distorts the rest of the entire offering.

it's a mess. the stockholders and analysts have to start noticing how random things are starting to get - you would think.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 8, 2013 at 6:58:18 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Why would I sign on now, not that I would, when they might start doing other zany new things to the pricing structure?"

That is definitely a concern on my end.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 5, 2013 at 12:45:53 pm

I can't wait for the Adobe wedding collection. Photoshop and Premiere Pro (but only with star wipe transition included).

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 5, 2013 at 1:38:02 pm

[Daniel Frome] "I can't wait for the Adobe wedding collection. Photoshop and Premiere Pro (but only with star wipe transition included)."

But since it's subscription, they're able to add the heart wipe as soon as it's ready to ship.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:58:03 pm

On what level Adobe wants to sink?

It gets so obvious, what they are trying.
(losing your discount lifetime price by quitting for 1 month... Isn´t that making dependent?)

When will they stop telling us, that this CashCow (CC) wasn´t made for anything else than making profit?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]