FORUMS: list search recent posts

Holding steady

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
Holding steady
on Aug 30, 2013 at 5:18:11 pm

adobes new offer to cs 6 users is dirt cheap. this means that they are behind in numbers. I am not budging and I recomend all to hold steady at least till 2014. I will hold steady for as long as cc only exists. Ill be keeping an eye on the new fcpx coming late 2013.

This new offer makes me feel like a fish looking at a worm on a hook from nowhere. no way.

If you fell for it you still have time to cancel without paying the penalty.

Ricardo

by the end of october it should be a free 1 year subscriprion tied to a second paid year. or get 2 for 1. if they dont make the numbers by the end of this year, sometime next year the cloud only, will colapse. at least thats what i hope will happen.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Holding steady
on Aug 30, 2013 at 7:27:47 pm

All due respect, but I really think the ship has sailed, despite any deals Adobe is offering to get folks onboard. I'm happily cutting on PrCC this week. It's a wonderful app, except for the multiple tabs, windows, settings, and tracks. ;-) Anyway, whatever you choose to cut on, I hope you all don't end up like these guys…

Vietnamese soldier, son found in jungle 40 years after the war ended.

:-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Aug 30, 2013 at 7:46:21 pm

I agree. That deal is the same they have been offering all along. They are just promoting the fact that it ends Aug 31st.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 30, 2013 at 8:20:59 pm

[Michael Hendrix] "That deal is the same they have been offering all along. They are just promoting the fact that it ends Aug 31st."

Yep, but don't worry, it'll be back again soon.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Aug 30, 2013 at 9:03:08 pm

I think that´s right.
They are behind targets (which where low set).
I take every bet, that we will see more "deals" after Aug 31 ;)
Piep Pipers from Adobe will have to tell their half true marketing a little bit longer as plant...

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 31, 2013 at 2:03:10 am

If everything was going perfect and according to plans, there wouldn't be deals. Companies don't offer discounts because they want to be nice.

Adobe doesn't know yet whether the mandatory part of this was a good idea for their bottom line in the long term or not. No one does. It hasn't been long enough.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 1, 2013 at 3:54:35 pm

[Chris Pettit] "If everything was going perfect and according to plans, there wouldn't be deals. Companies don't offer discounts because they want to be nice."

Yes, just like the iPhone trade-in program.

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Sep 3, 2013 at 4:28:42 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the iPhone trade in program directly effects a few dollars going back to Apple. Something about they will receive commissions from the cell stores (or maybe its they get to keep the commissions they would otherwise pay to the cell companies...) or something to that effect. It's certainly not because Apple wants to be nice...LOL

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:35:39 am

True.

German discount deal for former CS users is now extended till 3rd of December (More "hard to sell" than "overwhelming", it seems).
2 days after Adobes fiscal years ends, and they have to report wall street how many/few people followed to their "vision of somewhat like a cloud" (jail).
Compared to their self set targets (Will their minimalistic business reports show how earnings are in relation to CS/CC versions?).

LOL?

I think, there are still more users buying fair CS 6 than CashCow now.
Talked today with a few colleagues from other agencies, who bought a few licenses of (the last) CS6 Collections.
They will also leave Adobe and are looking for alternatives (within the time, CS works).

Silence at Adobe.
Are there solutions for the people, who like to use their archive (as they promised a few month ago)?
Are there marketing folks screaming out, how many new Cloudies Adobe got into dependency?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 3, 2013 at 2:55:03 pm

[Rainer Schubert] "Are there solutions for the people, who like to use their archive (as they promised a few month ago)?"

Did they explicitly promise that?

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 3, 2013 at 3:31:49 pm

It was told by their CEO on a conference/interview a few days after their coming out.
So not a real "promise". Can´t remember the source.
But here is a blog-adress of Adobes John Nack, who told similar...
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2013/05/you-should-never-lose-access-to-your-work-period.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57583817-92/adobe-mulls-creative-cloud-twe...

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 3, 2013 at 5:20:21 pm

Yeah, no real promise here, just a "boy who cried wolf."

Shame that there's a lot of b.s. still swimming around here.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 3, 2013 at 5:44:43 pm

[Gary Huff] "Yeah, no real promise here, just a "boy who cried wolf."

Shame that there's a lot of b.s. still swimming around here."

I believe you're mistaken. Adobe has a problem and they know it. Here's a quote from their blog on May 28:
With regards to file access, Adobe completely agrees that customers should have access to their files if they choose to stop their Creative Cloud membership. Our job is to delight our customers with innovation, but there are a number of options open to us here and we expect to have news around this issue shortly.

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/our-move-to-creative-cloud-an-update/

It's been more than three months since that post and we're still waiting.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:15:30 pm

[David Lawrence] "I believe you're mistaken. Adobe has a problem and they know it. Here's a quote from their blog on May 28:"

"Access to your files" is not at all the same thing as "being able to open project files created with Adobe software".

Your point of contention is not that you lose access to your QuickTime .MOV files, or your JPEG renders. For all you know, that quote simply as to do with the files that you are hosting up on the Cloud's Dropbox-lite service.

The issue is solely opening project files, those files that end in .AEP and .PRPROJ. If you can show me how that statement is explicitly indicative of opening these files, then that's fine.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:37:33 pm

[Gary Huff] "The issue is solely opening project files, those files that end in .AEP and .PRPROJ. If you can show me how that statement is explicitly indicative of opening these files, then that's fine."

Agreed. Adobe has given themselves a lot of wiggle room in their statements. Anything less than a meaningful solution that fully addresses these serious concerns is unacceptable.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 5, 2013 at 1:40:58 pm

[David Lawrence] "It's been more than three months since that post and we're still waiting."

Here's a quote from John Nack yesterday:

[Are you asking about being able to keep accessing your files? That's a valid ongoing concern that we haven't addressed yet. Getting the answer right takes more time than you'd think, and I'm afraid I don't yet have an ETA for an answer. It *is* a topic of ongoing discussion here, however. --J.]

It's in the comments at http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2013/09/photographers-a-great-new-deal-on-phot...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 5, 2013 at 5:33:58 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Here's a quote from John Nack yesterday... Getting the answer right takes more time than you'd think..."

It's only difficult to get right if Adobe thinks DRM lock-in needs to be part of the answer.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 5, 2013 at 5:50:32 pm

[David Lawrence] "It's only difficult to get right if Adobe thinks DRM lock-in needs to be part of the answer."

I assume "difficult to get right" means balance what Adobe seems to want with what their customers seem to want.

Regarding selling licenses, from a little further down in the comments:

[Given that there are no plans to do that, I'm talking about finding other workable alternatives. --J.]

Reporting, not endorsing,

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Sep 6, 2013 at 7:12:40 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I assume "difficult to get right" means balance what Adobe seems to want with what their customers seem to want."

Agreed. The problem is there is no balance between the absolute DRM lock-in Adobe wants and the digital rights millions of customers demand.

This is an old story. The music industry tried to stop piracy and lock-in customers with DRM and failed. Steve Jobs was proven right with his letter to the industry in 2007:

http://www.apple.com/ca/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

While the situation with CC is different in many ways, the fundamental disconnect between the goals of Adobe management and the needs of customers is exactly the same.

Adobe needs to decide who they ultimately serve - Wall Street investors (who only care about the short-term bottom line) or millions of customers who helped make the company what it is today.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 6, 2013 at 10:41:42 pm

...and what it will be in the future.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Sep 3, 2013 at 11:19:51 pm

[Gary Huff] "Yeah, no real promise here, just a "boy who cried wolf."
Shame that there's a lot of b.s. still swimming around here."

Not sure I fully understand your point, but what about this statement from Mala Sharma Adobe VP:

"The community is telling us is that what we have in place today – where you can export from your CC apps to CS6 – is not an acceptable solution," admits Sharma. "There are other ideas and expectations that customers have that we are actively discussing internally – but more importantly with our advisors and customers (on the forums)."

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-software/adobe-vp-on-creat...

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:08:42 pm

Chris, here is what was said originally:

[Rainer Schubert] "Are there solutions for the people, who like to use their archive (as they promised a few month ago)?"

Key word here is "promised". Now, in the quote that you listed, does that sound like a promise to you? Because if it does, then we have no common ground. Not sure where you go from "discussing internally" to "as they promised".

Seriously, if you want to have a discussion on this, that's all well and fine in my book, but I'm frankly appalled at the display of poor reading comprehension and logic that is going on in this thread.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:28:07 pm

I'm wasn't defending the use of the word promise, maybe I should have made that more clear. Even Rainer backed off of it a bit. I was simply pointing out that Adobe has implied that they are going to address this issue, but have not. Just silence. That was Davids point as well I assume.

But seriously, nobody's attacking you Gary, I really don't see the need for such condescension ("poor reading habits", "b.s. still swimming around"). Relax, we're not your enemy

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 4, 2013 at 6:14:03 pm

[Chris Pettit] "But seriously, nobody's attacking you Gary, I really don't see the need for such condescension ("poor reading habits", "b.s. still swimming around")."

Well, if people are going to continue to smugly post quotes that don't actually state what your surrounding commentary claims it states, then you will earn my condescension.

Seriously, just because I don't feel like treading through bullshit doesn't mean I feel like people are attacking me. Have a legitimate, logical conversation that doesn't involving making up stuff, and it goes a lot easier. Trust me.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Sep 4, 2013 at 3:50:20 pm

Sorry, if my English is not good enough... Not my native speach & not easy for me, to read and write always correct.
No, they didn´t "promise" that they will find and offer a solution, which will let you have full access to your work - they only "said" and I took as a promise.
(And may be, they only meant they find a solution, that you could open as a fewer but not edit)
But: It was told by their CEO (tried to find the source, but didn´t) and a few VIPs of Adobe, that they are trying to find a satisfying solution.
OK - not very intelligent to use the word "promise", if people from Adobe say, they are working on a solution...
My concern is more, that they simply don´t address this concern in any way.
Can´t see, that there will be a solution (ever). Especially no satisfying.
Sorry again for confusion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]