FORUMS: list search recent posts

What if FCP had been subscription only?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Parfit
What if FCP had been subscription only?
on Aug 24, 2013 at 7:27:12 pm

What if Final Cut Studio had been subscription only?

Every time I edge toward CC, I think of that question, and pause.

I don't outright reject it, but I pause.

Mike Parfit
http://www.thewhalemovie.com

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
Re: What if FCP had been subscription only?
on Aug 24, 2013 at 8:16:15 pm

Autodesk just announced this week that they are expanding their subscription offerings as well, although they were VERY careful to make clear that they have no intention of making it mandatory:

"Because we're starting in a different place than Adobe, we don't feel the need to force people, as they did, to go to these new license models and end perpetual licenses."

A broader question is what if EVERYONE someday goes to subscription only models? What if the only way to work in this business someday was to rent all that software?

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Aug 24, 2013 at 8:44:38 pm

...and operating systems !?

(but I hope and think, if it comes to this, Open Source will grow and win in the end)

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 25, 2013 at 12:05:48 am

Agreed, OS as well. Very real threat.

Exactly why asking tough questions is so important right now. If we just assume that everything will work itself out, we could wake up one morning and not be able to operate in this industry without multitudes of never-ending monthly payments, including OS.

Speaking for myself, I'm deeply concerned by what might happen if we don't put the brakes on mandatory subscriptions for all the software we use.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Aug 25, 2013 at 9:14:23 am

+1

Return to posts index

Hans Swets
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:57:09 pm

An analogy might be how airlines float trial balloons of extra costs what used to be free. It works when all airlines go along with it. Customers? Well, mass defections, when possible (see microsoft new XBox reversal of policy, but their competitor, Sony did not go along)
When possible, is the keyword
I bought my last 2 production laptops just before Windows 8 was coming out. Windows XP + DV was a good platform. Windows 7 + CS6 is also.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]