FORUMS: list search recent posts

New CC Subscription Deal

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
New CC Subscription Deal
on Aug 13, 2013 at 9:23:54 pm

They are starting to offer CC 1 year @ $479 w/ a guarantee same price for the second year. So this is getting interesting.

The down side of all of this uncertainty for me is; normally I would be spending time honing my skills and improving my versatility on Premiere, AE & PS,(about a year into Premiere since FCP X) but because I may be dropping Adobe I'm not quite sure what systems on which to concentrate. I'd like to stick w/ Adobe, but what they are asking is unreasonable. Hopefully, they will get nervous enough about customer flight that a better offer will emerge.

On a side note, Aindreas keep up the good fight, your rants and insights brighten my whole day.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Re: New CC Subscription Deal
on Aug 13, 2013 at 11:38:21 pm

adobe still doesnt get it. its not just the price its the concept. by next oct it will be down to at least $300.00

ricardo

Return to posts index

Dustin Lawhorn
on Aug 14, 2013 at 5:12:27 am

[Ricardo Marty] "adobe still doesnt get it. its not just the price its the concept. "

Yeah.
That!
+1 to Ricardo! It IS the 'concept"!

We've not been (primarily) talking about a price negotiation 'round here.

I’m looking for an EXIT PLAN with Adobe CC--I really am.

I HAVEN'T SEEN ONE offered for us yet by Adobe. In short, no exit strategy=no sale for most of us that are holding out.

My fear is that the subscription model means that I would be working “without a net.”

Let’s imagine some bad thing happens to Adobe:
2 years from now, the company hangs a “gone fishing” sign on their front doors, or they go bankrupt, or their servers have a massive meltdown or whatever... That kind of thing starts a 99 day countdown to the end of my access to my work, right? Not a good scenario.

The subscription model does not provide a way out--a “retirement” plan--a way to backup the data permanently and a way to access it. Part of the back-up process for me is to package the installation discs alongside two hard drives that I’ve retired the project on. The project is one one hard drive, mirrored on the other hard drive, and the legacy version of the software is sitting on that shelf, along side a copy of the OS that it ran/runs on. Another disc is there with the drivers or patches that I may need along with the dongle or what have you.

I know that old version of Avid Xpress (that’s currently sitting on one of those shelves) is not installed on any of my computers right now; however, I know how to get it running and I have the discs to install it. I can install Win 2K as a boot camp partition and then install the program. I won’t be able to run that Matrox card but I can still get to the timeline...

How am I going to do that with a project made with CC version 1 when CC is in version X and there is no version 1 with the subscription model at that point in the future?

-dl

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Aug 14, 2013 at 10:22:59 am

Well said.
But I think, Adobe knows exactly, that the main lack is not the price.
And it´s part of their plan, that you can´t come out "sure", if you plan to quit (or they quit).
I hope, that the amount of Non-Subscribers will change the devilish philosophy.
Not for me, because I´m done with Adobe, but as an example for other companies, that this kind of distribution is not wanted by the most of users.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:32:36 pm

[Dustin Lawhorn] "...2 years from now, the company hangs a “gone fishing” sign on their front doors, or they go bankrupt, or their servers have a massive meltdown or whatever... That kind of thing starts a 99 day countdown to the end of my access to my work, right? Not a good scenario. "

I had not considered that particular scenario. However, it does provide a crystal-clear illustration of how Adobe is now more concerned about Adobe rather than Adobe CUSTOMERS.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:00:30 pm

[Dustin Lawhorn] "Let’s imagine some bad thing happens to Adobe: 2 years from now, the company hangs a “gone fishing” sign on their front doors, or they go bankrupt, or their servers have a massive meltdown or whatever... That kind of thing starts a 99 day countdown to the end of my access to my work, right? Not a good scenario. "

A perpetual license does not really solve this problem: it still requires an Adobe server's authorization for installation. In your nightmare scenario above, your perpetual license is only a hardware failure away from being unusable, and you can forget about upgrading to newer or faster computers because you'll have no way to move your activation.

If Adobe goes bankrupt and is going to close, I'd bet that their creditors/shareholders will want the cash from a quick sale of buyouts to subscription customers.

I will also note that when Adobe took the CS2 activation servers offline, they made a non-activating version available to customers.

I'm not saying this is all perfect, but speaking for myself, I'm not interested in creating a real problem for myself today (sticking with old versions or switching away entirely) to avoid a theoretical problem in the future. If something bad does happen, I'll deal with it then.

Of course, if we assign different degrees of value to those problems and risks, we'll very logically come to different conclusions about a reasonable course of action going forward.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 15, 2013 at 12:48:26 am

[Walter Soyka] "A perpetual license does not really solve this problem: it still requires an Adobe server's authorization for installation. In your nightmare scenario above, your perpetual license is only a hardware failure away from being unusable, and you can forget about upgrading to newer or faster computers because you'll have no way to move your activation."

True, and a great example of how DRM punishes legitimate users. DRM software is defective by design and does absolutely nothing to stop piracy.

I believe all software companies using DRM activation have an ethical responsibility provide activation-free versions to their legitimate customers if they ever they turn off their activation servers. Just like Adobe did with CS2. And if they fail to do so, at that point I believe legitimate customers have every right to route around them.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Aug 14, 2013 at 10:15:57 am

Don´t think so.
They have to bring in enough users into cloud till Dec. 1st (Adobes fiscal business year end).
They must show results to Wall Street.
And they need 1.25 K cloud users (to be within their risky plans).
If they don´t reach that, they have a problem.
Till that date we might see some special advertisngs.
Seems like not enough former users like to switch to dependency.
But after December you will see prices raise.
(They have great losses of income for the moment & sooner or later they must raise...)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:12:24 pm

[Dustin Lawhorn] "Let’s imagine some bad thing happens to Adobe:
2 years from now, the company hangs a “gone fishing” sign on their front doors, or they go bankrupt, or their servers have a massive meltdown or whatever... That kind of thing starts a 99 day countdown to the end of my access to my work, right? Not a good scenario.
"

We all run similar risks with a variety of software and services (especially on the mobile devices that are becoming more ubiquitous in people's lives). I'd assume Adobe would issue new serial numbers that basically engage local activation and authentication (like they did for CS2 owners when the CS2 activation servers were permanently shut down). Lots of companies (big and small) use activation servers so even if you have your workstation HDD backed up you better hope and pray you never need to re-install software that's had its servers taken offline.

EDIT: And Walter pretty much beat me to the punch.

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:36:25 am

I just recently had this exact experience happen to me. I updated to Peak Pro 7 in April of last year. In Late May or early June Peak Pro abruptly closed down. After a time they bought their activation server and it still runs but since they had a 3 activation/deactivation limit, that had to be reset manually by them by support request, the software is non-functional now after getting new computers.

I had installed it on a work computer because I used it at my school. I am out of license activations now.
Fortunately, Audition has been greatly improved in CS6 but I worry about problems eventually with that now since I don't wish to start CC.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Aug 21, 2013 at 3:05:34 am

[Ricardo Marty] "adobe still doesnt get it. its not just the price its the concept. by next oct it will be down to at least $300.00

ricardo"

I'm not sure I totally agree with this. It is the combination of price and concept. If Adobe were to charge $10 a month, and lock that price for subscribers, I don't think we'd be hearing much complaining. Certainly not from me. Similarly, none of us would buy a perpetual license for $10,000.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]