FORUMS: list search recent posts

One Size does not Fit All

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
One Size does not Fit All
on May 9, 2013 at 4:50:16 pm

Regardless of the intent of Adobe with this model, it appears that many people do not like it. Perhaps "like" is too weak a word for taking away the security of actually owning the means of creation and production of your life's work. If enough people walk away, or simply don't buy in, that certainly isn't helping Adobe's bottom line. This is a play to Wall Street more than it is to their loyal customers. Plain and simple. If they don't allow some method for ownership, they will be relegated to the people with larger facilities or those who have little emotional involvement with their work and consider it disposable. Because that is what it will be if you stop paying. Disposed of.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Andy Field
Re: One Size does not Fit All
on May 9, 2013 at 5:37:48 pm

Adobe's CEO Speaks out

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/adobe-ceo-says-creative-cloud-better-for-cus...

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 9, 2013 at 5:39:11 pm

Why not sell both perpetual and cloud? His answer/non answer is 3:16 into the interview

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 9, 2013 at 5:57:37 pm

[Andy Field] "Why not sell both perpetual and cloud? His answer/non answer is 3:16 into the interview
"

ROTFL. My jaw dropped when I first scanned the above line. For a micro-second, I thought somebody at Adobe was using Biblical scripture to justify not selling perpetual licenses, John 3:16 being the single most referenced passage in the New Testament.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 9, 2013 at 6:03:20 pm

nothing biblical! Just a time hack

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 9, 2013 at 6:08:05 pm

It would be quite the argument, though.

Why can't we have both?

Jesus died for your sins, so STFU!

You've got to admit, its direct and intense.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 6:12:21 pm

[Chris Harlan] "You've got to admit, its direct and intense."

And sounds so much better than his otherwise inane droning.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 9, 2013 at 6:06:28 pm

Chris -

Do you mean this quote?

For Adobe so loved the subscriber, that he gave his only begotten upgrade, that whosoever editeth should not perish, but have everlasting upgrades, as long as payethment continueth.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 9, 2013 at 6:11:05 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "For Adobe so loved the subscriber, that he gave his only begotten upgrade, that whosoever editeth should not perish, but have everlasting upgrades, as long as payethment continueth.
"

Actually, I believe that one is Monty 3:16 from the apocryphal Book of Python.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 9, 2013 at 6:19:46 pm

"Always look on the bright side of life......"

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 6:37:35 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Actually, I believe that one is Monty 3:16 from the apocryphal Book of Python."

This all assumes that the proper offering of a shrubbery has taken place, of course.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 9, 2013 at 6:54:07 pm

Of course Tim...plus another shrubbery...

...only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 6:55:03 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Of course Tim...plus another shrubbery...

...only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle."

"...not too expensive..."

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 9, 2013 at 6:58:56 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Of course Tim...plus another shrubbery...

...only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle.
"

See. This is the whole thing. You pay Adobe a shrubbery. Is that enough? No. You have to pony up a second one. And then, before you know it, just so you can open up a PSD file, you have to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring. It won't end.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 7:05:43 pm

[Chris Harlan] "This is the whole thing. You pay Adobe a shrubbery. Is that enough? No. You have to pony up a second one. And then, before you know it, just so you can open up a PSD file, you have to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring. It won't end."

To which I say

"Would you rather keep the lousy herring and see Adobe not finish their landscaping?...Well?"

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 9, 2013 at 8:00:32 pm

[Tim Kolb] "To which I say

"Would you rather keep the lousy herring and see Adobe not finish their landscaping?...Well?"

"

Are you trying to suggest that Creative Cloud is just an ordinary rabbit? A harmless little bunny?

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on May 9, 2013 at 7:08:55 pm

Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers? ..Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 6:12:42 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "For Adobe so loved the subscriber, that he gave his only begotten upgrade, that whosoever editeth should not perish, but have everlasting upgrades, as long as payethment continueth."

And the boy wins a cigar!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on May 9, 2013 at 6:41:22 pm

Joe, you deserve an award for that!
:-)

Bestest
- RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 9, 2013 at 7:16:21 pm

Jeez, talk about a non answer and no followup question pointing out the non answer. The New Journalism.

Tim

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 9, 2013 at 7:31:37 pm

What question? There's nothing on this forum but opinions, misleading statistics, and some bonehead mis-quoting the bible!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 7:34:30 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "What question? There's nothing on this forum but opinions, misleading statistics, and some bonehead mis-quoting the bible!"

Hey...I'm quite certain that there is a shrubbery...or bush or something in there...

I think he's referring to the video that Andy linked to in the second post.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 9, 2013 at 7:43:26 pm

There is no tangent on which folks on this forum can't veer off!

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 8:45:39 pm

[Andy Field] "There is no tangent on which folks on this forum can't veer off!"

(sigh) Guilty.

I guess I just enjoyed the tension lifting for a few posts...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 9, 2013 at 9:07:08 pm

no the shrub tangent is great!

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 9, 2013 at 8:26:48 pm

Sorry, Joe. I was talking about the Adobe CEO's answer to why not do CC and Perpetual Licenses. I lose clarity when multitasking.

Tim

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 9, 2013 at 8:40:04 pm

The ceo doesnt want to say yes or no because he dosent want to be caught with his pants down. Remember he said "no plans at this moment for cs products" Which in corporatees means we have not discounted cs yet. He could have said "No, cs is not going to be further developed"

They dont know what going to happen. They will avoid talking about it.

Richard

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 8:51:48 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "They dont know what going to happen. They will avoid talking about it."

I do think that they're waiting to see what will happen...that's why I've been saying that the kinds of concerns expressed are warranted...just not so much as a web forum rant session.

Keep in mind that there are any number of laws regarding what a CEO of a public company can say...precisely so that markets don't get ampy over some minor phrase or misrepresented intent.

I'm certain that it's more "can't" than "won't" say what the future plans are...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 7:31:41 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Jeez, talk about a non answer and no followup question pointing out the non answer. The New Journalism."

Yes...being an officer in a public company these days isn't exactly a license to make specific proclamations OR promises unfortunately...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 9, 2013 at 10:30:44 pm

I wonder what department(s) they laid off 750 people from? It seemed as if it had something to do with this change in model, but as above, he response was not specific. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 11:22:16 pm

[Matt Gal] "http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/09/us-adobe-idUSTRE7A77R220111109"

Yeah, that's what I thought...it's from 2011.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 10, 2013 at 3:19:25 am

[Tim Kolb] "Yeah, that's what I thought...it's from 2011.
"

There Will Be FUD.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 9, 2013 at 11:20:16 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "I wonder what department(s) they laid off 750 people from? It seemed as if it had something to do with this change in model, but as above, he response was not specific. Has anyone heard anything about this?"

Adobe goes through layoffs every year...usually late fall, and 2012 was no exception.

I haven't heard of any layoffs recently (not that they notify me)...the last time I heard the headcount "750" associated with layoffs, it was a couple years ago.

You're sure someone didn't pick up a news item and not check the date?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 10, 2013 at 12:12:37 am

No, Tim -

The story date says right on the byline - 2011 - it's really old news...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 10, 2013 at 3:42:34 am

Double post see below.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 10, 2013 at 3:51:20 am

@Tim Kolb
It was in the the seven minute Bloomberg interview released today with the CEO of Adobe, Narayen. The interviewer said that they had laid off 750 people and it sounded like recently. He did not deny it. The video link is posted in one of the threads here. Just wondered if it had anything to do with this change.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/adobe-ceo-says-creative-cloud-better-for-cus...

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 10, 2013 at 5:03:35 am

[Jim Wiseman] "The interviewer said that they had laid off 750 people and it sounded like recently. He did not deny it. "

Yeah...his answer was "...actually the company has been firing on all cylinders." It's a somewhat cryptic response. Starting an answer with "actually" in an interview is a pretty standard polite correction word cued after something the interviewee feels was misstated...but your guess is as good as mine with CEO-speak.

Adobe would need to file documents for laying that many people off...and they wouldn't be hard to find in the case of a public company. I would also think anything like that that could be tied to this moment in time would have been jumped on by far more news sources trying to predict what will happen and further comment on all the contrversy, yet that's the only place I've heard it.

The "750" number is so specific that it would seem it would be fairly discoverable...in a web search I could only find one layoff announcement that was that specific...and it was indeed 2 years ago.

Maybe our Bloomberg reporter made the same mistake some others did?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]