FORUMS: list search recent posts

ESPN london with up to teens FCP seats closes - BT picks up, 20 suites to fill, some guy in his fifties says AVID.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
ESPN london with up to teens FCP seats closes - BT picks up, 20 suites to fill, some guy in his fifties says AVID.
on Aug 9, 2013 at 11:47:31 pm

Never mind its a stupid editing system, with a stupid horrible hacked on magic menu, barely managing tabs, with laughable nested (really nested?) effects architecture - never mind that avid is basically a deliberately obtuse, guild determined, blank faced hedge maze of editing that we thought FCP had largely killed -

that's not the problem - the problem is that in the single turnover year, which this is, where literally untold numbers of people could have gone "hey - PPro 7 - what's that? FCP level cost control or better, live JKL trimming, beautiful timeline, open framework, is nowhere near as brain damaged as avid....
why don't we all just seismically shift here, with all the incredible long term benefits to adobe? maybe they'll hit subscription on some level in the next 18 months?

super nice scenario - and a clean adobe sweep.

because avid is truly, truly brain damaged - people need to know. So you poke - sweet god: it is awful - It's guild, trade union, software - granted editing doesn't formally have union software, but it actually does - avid is software made by nineteen seventies coal miners in north england. You need to access buttons, that are de-activated by default, to discover the time of day. effects handling is kafkaesque - it is completely bananas software. It gets more insane the further you go. It's like car with knives sticking out of the steering wheel.

anyway, so rant -

so in this year, this bloody year, that critical FCP EOL space, where we were supposed to kill avid and the attendants all over again, adobe choose to go with their tails between their legs and make an insane move to lock in imaging, DTP, and whatever else is left that they actually feel is all they could ever hope to achieve.

Hogarth is fine, AP is good -but multiple CS small shops (up to game developers) are running scared, quite a bit of financial and some factual is starting to try and say FCPX -

more broadly, Avid is growing like mould over London.

Can adobe not do some broad PR thing.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: ESPN london with up to teens FCP seats closes - BT picks up, 20 suites to fill, some guy in his fifties says AVID.
on Aug 10, 2013 at 8:49:48 am

No. I swear to you. No. I mean, yes, if you try to make it work like FCP, but really, no.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
Re: ESPN london with up to teens FCP seats closes - BT picks up, 20 suites to fill, some guy in his fifties says AVID.
on Aug 10, 2013 at 9:17:24 am

I got an email inviting me to download a new Avid trial.

Downloaded it.
Tried it.
Remembered some awful days long ago.
Uninstalled it.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2013 at 9:55:50 am

Well, it wasn't for you, then. Good you unistalled it. My experience was different. I hadn't used it in years, and discovered when I started editing with it again, a very pleasant mode of working. I like its trimming better than anything else out there. I also quite like the source timeline, and wish other NLE's had it. I like to keep my audio organized, so patching isn't an issue for me. It may not be everyone's preference, but it isn't the God-awful glob that Aindreas was describing either. Of course, I like Premiere quite a bit as well. Between the two of them, I would still choose Avid first for cutting (based on Pr6; I haven't had enough time to play deeply with PrCC yet) but would choose Premiere for most other things. Either way, I'm happy using either of them.

Oddly, and perhaps ironically, I've spent the last two months on FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 10, 2013 at 12:46:07 pm

I completely understand that if you come from an effects-centric mindset, like AE, then Media Composer is not for you. But for people who mainly edit, there are so many little things that are helpful, which simply no other NLE approaches.

Things like your CTI and interface focus staying where you expect it to after you complete a function, rather than bounce to another pane. Or the fact that a numerical value is retained in a buffer. If you enter +1:00 ENTER to advance on the timeline by 1 second, then the next time you hit ENTER it remembers that the distance is +1:00.

Some of the ways MC was designed goes back to the fact that it was created in a time before most modern media conventions for computers existed. Tied more to linear editing and film editing than computing. That can be annoying, but also wonderful. Take column sort as an example. Most NLEs simply adopt the general computing method of ascending or descending sort by a single highlighted column. Change the value in that column of an entry and the list re-sorts automatically, sometimes scrambling the list for you. Avid leaves the list alone and requires a sort command. Plus you get a two-level sort (primary and secondary column), which is great for scene and take columns.

Check out the Find function in MC. Far superior than any other NLE's Find.

But to the main point, what people who are making the buying decisions may have realized, is that editing IS NOT GENERAL COMMODITY COMPUTING. Putting faith in Apple - a general computing company - didn't turned out the way they liked. Adobe is similar in their eyes, so the decision is to go back to a company that is perceived as having the best interests of the pro video/film community as its core mission.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 10, 2013 at 12:48:55 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "more broadly, Avid is growing like mould over London."

But wait - you can't have your cake and eat it, too. You can't argue against the CC and then hope that Adobe takes over London, if the Cloud is clearly their business model.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:03:16 pm

I'll say this - I never got that phrase thinking about it - I won't google it as that would be cheating, but if I have the cake, isn't the next logical step to start eating it?

anyway - all I want in the world is for there to be broad adoption of PPro CC - nevermind my own apprehensions over the subscription move, the way it was handled,and the management team that presided over it, my biggest concern is that it is strangling the first usable PPro in the cot. thats my biggest issue.

I don't think 6 can gain wide adoption because the patching is way too insane, and the timeline is pretty damn finicky. PPro CC on the other hand, is pretty gorgeous, I've had nice long sit downs with it, and I completely love it. It without question deserves to capture a large broad market share - my agitating against CC aside, the problem is that there is a problem out there with the subscription model - easily enough to seriously stunt premiere's growth - its still an incidental part of the suite for most of adobe's core design, motion design, print and photography customers.

The subscription needs to be a broadly successful continuation of CS in order for premiere to gain proper visibility and traction - even under the adobe model, they only get to 40-50% of their current install base by 2016. right now around one in nine of their customer base is on CC. And of those, a reaonably significant number are going to be design houses, and web shops with limited exposure to, or use for, an online editing system.

Basically, a really top notch editing system, with some advantages no other editing system comes close to, that has near the same dynamic trimming abilities as avid (so I am told), is sitting on a fraction of the overall CS install base and only a portion of that fraction are focused on its abilities.

Can anyone in the states or the UK reel off the production companies they know currently moving to CC for teams with a focus on implementing PPro CC.

I know two - AP and Hogarth. I know 7-8 other mid size places that were FCP shifting to Avid.

isn't it far more likely that the fat assed middle aged technology bods in the company are only going to say one word now - AVID. it's all they ever wanted to say. There is more than enough FUD around adobe to disqualify PPro.

that's my problem. An editing system that should be thriving isn't - and isn't likely to - the way things are currently looking.
With FCPX reduced to margins, PPro not really gaining any velocity - what does that leave? Voldemort. The undead, recently tabbed clod of software that is Avid.

best of all worlds.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 11, 2013 at 4:38:22 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "anyway - all I want in the world is for there to be broad adoption of PPro CC"

I don't believe that will ever happen.

Sorry, you hate Avid so much. BTW - what do you mean by "magic menu", since there's nothing called that in the software? Also you CAN see and work with effects as stacks without stepping into the application. Been that way for a decade or more. But, I agree the effects and color correction is very long in the tooth.

OTOH, I've done better and more complex composites in Media Composer than I've been able to do in FCP or PPro. Just takes a bit of work.

FWIW - it's pretty limiting to characterize Avid as just for TV editors. Media Composer is obviously the main choice of film editors, but also of a lot of top end commercial and trailer houses.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 11, 2013 at 4:52:15 pm

[Oliver Peters] "what do you mean by "magic menu", "

it's what some people call the smart tool menu? - maybe hasn't caught on quite as much as the hamburger?

[Oliver Peters] " also of a lot of top end commercial and trailer houses.
"

not so much over here really - FCP made major inroads to both. Avid was punch drunk at the point X arrived.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 11, 2013 at 6:30:14 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "it's what some people call the smart tool menu?"

Aah, I see. A lot of Media Composer guys hate it. It was Avid's response to making MC more FCP-like. The trick is to leave it off and enable it with a mapped keyboard shortcut. Then set your prefs to disable it when you click in the TC tracks or timeline ruler. Then it stays off unless you really want to use it. It's finicky because insert/overwrite functions are contextual based on the top or bottom of a track, so it gets touchy with small track heights.

[Aindreas Gallagher] "not so much over here really - FCP made major inroads to both. Avid was punch drunk at the point X arrived."

Over here it varies with market. Smaller cities are largely FCP "legacy" in the commercial world. Large cities (NY, LA, Chicago) are probably 50/50.

And yes, I agree that FCP 7 is STILL hard to beat for versatility and functionality.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:30:53 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Can anyone in the states or the UK reel off the production companies they know currently moving to CC for teams with a focus on implementing PPro CC.
"

Yes. I know a place that is moving from Avid to CC.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 11, 2013 at 9:08:36 pm

well, its better than nothing.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Aug 10, 2013 at 1:12:33 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "never mind that avid is basically a deliberately obtuse, guild determined, blank faced hedge maze of editing that we thought FCP had largely killed - "

Alright Aindreas --
You need to start writing a script, and I'll do the editing (on Avid, no doubt), and we're going to make something amazing.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 10, 2013 at 3:30:09 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " It's like car with knives sticking out of the steering wheel."

Great line to start a saturday with!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 10, 2013 at 3:44:54 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "because avid is truly, truly brain damaged - people need to know. So you poke - sweet god: it is awful - It's guild, trade union, software - granted editing doesn't formally have union software, but it actually does - avid is software made by nineteen seventies coal miners in north england. You need to access buttons, that are de-activated by default, to discover the time of day. effects handling is kafkaesque - it is completely bananas software. It gets more insane the further you go. It's like car with knives sticking out of the steering wheel.
"

Brilliant, truly some of your best work

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 10, 2013 at 9:04:10 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "It's like car with knives sticking out of the steering wheel."

So good. Thank you for this.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:50:24 am

Aindreas, first off, if you hate it this much, don't use it. Simple.

Second off...is there anything you DO like? It seems that all we hear from you is hatred of this or that...with every NLE. How do you get by in the world?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 11, 2013 at 12:40:39 pm

[Shane Ross] "Aindreas, first off, if you hate it this much, don't use it. Simple."

not really no. I was busy not using it, but its becoming increasingly likely that I will have to know it half properly because I am going to encounter it.
Getting into it, it occurs to you that it really is godawful stuff, made by obtuse people for obtuse people. The fact that they touted cracking the difficult issue of tabs technology in this decade made me laugh. The effects architecture (hey, why visibly stack things when we can nest inside them? Brilliant! shouted nobody ever.) the crudiness of the magic menu is depressing. The media management inside a blackbox at the root of the drive is depressing. the crudiness of ama is depressing. the ludicrous resolution limits are depressing. the keyframing is depressing. People defending this software is depressing.

[Shane Ross] "Second off...is there anything you DO like?"
Oodles - I really liked FCP, but then we all did. I really like PPro CC a lot. I think it was supposed to win the broad share, but I'm increasingly worried that's not going to happen because Adobe had a brain haemorrhage and decided to hole up in a cave holding around 40% of their customer base hostage on subscription on the assumption that the market will never come rescue them. I think adobe are effectively cashing out Dell style on some personal level - either way you slice it - the subscription mess cuts PPro off at the knees - PPro 7 was the first truly usable incarnation and hardly anyone is seeing it.

I also like a good rant every now and then. Basically a bunch of people agitated against FCPX, and for PPro - then adobe went bananas, and people started agitating for improved terms, then Avid started appearing quite a bit outside of its traditional tv editor bum in the seat for 45 years enclaves where we all thought it had gone to die and we could all forget about it - and hey presto- it turns out to be ridcuously godawful obtuse arse software. Which apparently has some amazing column sort features, and persistent number entry fields - which I'm sure is nice, but doesn't quite make up for it being a waking nightmare of an editing system.

Return to posts index

Jim Hines
on Aug 11, 2013 at 4:47:17 pm

(hey, why visibly stack things when we can nest inside them? Brilliant! shouted nobody ever.)

LOL 5x

Rock on!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:23:49 pm

One thing I have learned over the last few years is that there isn't one NLE that suits all editing needs. There are way too many styles editing, way too many areas that editing is used to limit it to one tool. Sure, there are editing situations that Avid MC is totally not suited for, and trying to get it to work for that would be like driving a car in molasses with knifes on the steering wheel. I'd want to kill myself. That's why we have options.

Before FCP, we had Media 100, Lightworks, D-Vision...lots of options. Because Avid was simply far to expensive, and limited, for corporate video work. And even in the feature world, Avid wasn't the only choice, there was Lightworks.

I'd hate to try to use Premiere to cut a feature shot on film. I think that it's also tons easier to cut episodic TV where you need to share media and projects on an Avid. Even with FCP, which I loved and was devoted to, it was problematic. Mainly because the editors didn't think about what they were doing...not noticing where they were putting media and assets, now knowing the NLE well enough to make it work right. Avid has a very rigid way of doing things to force editors to do things a certain way....because face it, many need that. That's one thing I realized when using FCP.

Is it possible to use Premiere for Features and TV work? TOTALLY!

I dread the day that there is only one NLE...that is a monopoly and leads to arrogance. Avid of the 1990's and early 2000's is evidence of that. They were the king. They needed to be humbled.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:20:26 pm

true bill, true bill.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:26:39 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Getting into it, it occurs to you that it really is godawful stuff, made by obtuse people for obtuse people."

Speaking for all of the other obtuse people out there (officially, I got permission before posting), we just want you to know how sorry we are for liking the software, and that we would, if we could actually muster the brain cells to do it, move to something else, but we can't because we are just not mentally or physically capable of doing so. Again, sorry. Our bad.

We also apologize that circumstances may soon doom you to share our fate. If it happens, though, be prepared for us to gather around you in the shadows of the animal cages and begin chanting "One of us! One of us!"

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:32:04 pm

[Chris Harlan] "be prepared for us to gather around you in the shadows of the animal cages and begin chanting "One of us! One of us!""

Like at the end of 'Requiem for a Dream?"

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:39:09 pm

Gooble Gobble

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Aug 11, 2013 at 9:12:34 pm

I think the best thing that happened after FCPX and CC, are the infamous Gallagher's rants.
I would pay to see that live! Just think about it, "An evening with Aindreas", NAB after show. Pure gold!

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:00:02 pm

I have to say "steering wheels with knives" is in fact gold.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:05:02 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "I think the best thing that happened after FCPX and CC, are the infamous Gallagher's rants.
I would pay to see that live! Just think about it, "An evening with Aindreas", NAB after show. Pure gold!"

Agreed! I want to see dramatic "Gallagher rants" as read by Kelly Macdonald (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0531808/)... or possibly Colm Meany (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000538/) :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:38:32 pm

where is franz beiberkopf when you need him? that man would have a video response to this.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 11, 2013 at 9:08:05 pm

jesus lets not go there.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:16:53 am

Well, I'm certainly signing up for "steering wheels with knives" tour, ort least some merch.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:50:41 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "jesus lets not go there."

Come on now. We have to be frank about this stuff. Using MC 5.5 and above clearly leads to prison, overdose, sex slavery, and arm amputation. People need to know.

BTW, today I'm cutting on CC and really enjoying myself. It IS quite good.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:45:17 pm

try anchoring your source selects timeline above your main assembly if you've got that kind of edit going. get a couple of spanned comment markers going. bang the markers panel into the left where the roles thing goes in X. it all gets very nice. And i find the interface overall just snappy as hell.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 12, 2013 at 6:26:13 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "jesus lets not go there."

It's all out of respect, man. Plus, even when I disagree with you, I still think you make good points. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:08:02 pm

god no - I meant the requiem for a dream finalé. That is a rough last fifteen minutes that is.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:13:37 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "That is a rough last fifteen minutes that is."

Yet strangely relevant to the modern state of post production.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:34:09 pm

Wellll in that case I pick the catatonic mother endlessly winning a game show. That's the PPro fantasy where we can still buy it.

The guy with one arm is on FCPX, and poor jennifer connelly is being introduced to avid.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 13, 2013 at 3:01:29 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "and poor jennifer connelly is being introduced to avid."

Gooble Gobble.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 5, 2013 at 11:27:49 am

Either that or Jennifer Connelly is on the phone to Adobe tech support.

Cracking thread.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 12, 2013 at 9:09:37 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "god no - I meant the requiem for a dream finalé. That is a rough last fifteen minutes that is."

Ah, gotcha'. Yeah, totally agree.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 19, 2013 at 3:35:16 pm

I find all thee big NLES have there obvious strengths and weaknesses, but i find avid the most consistant over the 3 and for stuff i have a choice on, i use it pretty much exclusively these days.

Patching can seem like a bitch at times, but once you have it all mapped to your keyboard and you memorize it, its like second nature. Never blink an eye when having to patch. Once in the timeline theres nothing faster or better for true timeline editing.

FX arent ideal either especially vs other NLEs but with a little patience you can do more in Avid then you ever could in FCP. its pretty deep, just got know the little workarounds.

As far as the smart tool, ignore it! You dont even have to know its there. All the functions are already mapped.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Aug 19, 2013 at 7:47:01 pm

"some guy in his fifties says AVID"

(Most of the sport editors I come across are MUCH closer to 50 than 30... )

Well I'm not that guy... but if I were in his shoes it would be a pretty easy call. Avid every time for shared Sports editing installations with tight turnarounds.

Not much else deals with EVS capture and playback as efficiently. Nor is there anything likely to deliver AS11 before Avid (which is getting to be a bigger and bigger requirement).

The bravery is in the guy who's chosen Adobe for the World Cup in Rio - that'll be the first major sporting installation using Adobe...

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 20, 2013 at 2:51:27 am

[Neil Goodman] "As far as the smart tool, ignore it! You dont even have to know its there. All the functions are already mapped.
"

And yet--I like the Smart Tool. Oh, oh. I said it.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:12:29 pm

[Chris Harlan] "And yet--I like the Smart Tool. Oh, oh. I said it."

while i dont use it per say, i dont see why people are so offended by it.

i just always found it easier to shift A,S,D,F accordingly and then shift tab to turn it off.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:32:15 pm

[Neil Goodman] "while i dont use it per say, i dont see why people are so offended by it.

i just always found it easier to shift A,S,D,F accordingly and then shift tab to turn it off.
"

I DO see why its a PITA to many. I think it just gets too mousey for old school MC folks in terms of where you can and cannot click on the timeline. If you spent a lot of time in FCP, and tended to trim with your mouse, its pretty intuitive. I wouldn't argue that its the fastest way to work, but sometimes it just feels better for me to work that way, especially if I'm popping all around the timeline, and not working in consecutive order. If I am working consecutive, keys are much faster.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:38:08 pm

I would reiterate that trimming is a real defining item in NLE software. IMHO, it's one of the weakest parts of FCP X. Working on this film, the software really bogs down in trimming. Not the actual function, but rather whenever it has to switch into the trim "mode". Getting the cursor to latch onto the edge of a clip gets very frustrating. It often takes a full second just for the app to "think" about it. This is an area where ALL Media Composer trim methods are superior, but so too is FCP 7. Of course, as this is an Adobe forum, Premiere Pro CC is also more of a pleasure to trim in than FCP X.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Aug 30, 2013 at 1:37:37 am

All I can say about this continual Avid bashing is that you clearly haven't used the software enough to understand it. Until such time as you do, I'm done taking your rants the least bit seriously.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Aug 30, 2013 at 1:30:07 am

Personally I couldn't disagree more. Avid is clearly the most efficient and powerful NLE on the planet. People don't cut $250 million dollar features on it because they don't like using it. They use it because it works, it's stable, and the workflow is proven. If you let go of your efforts to make Avid work like FCP, and learn why it does what it does, then you'll soon appreciate it's power and efficiency, I guarantee it.

I came from a Toaster Flyer, a Draco, Speedrazor, Adobe, Incite, and D/Vision before using Avid. Believe me, it took a while for me to "get it" too. But once I did, I couldn't imagine cutting on anything else. I've since learned to appreciate FCP 7 a bit. But my 1st choice is still always Avid.

Chris Conlee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]