Corel woos CS cross-graders with promotion
on Aug 2, 2013 at 3:25:19 pm

The Ad reads "Welcome CS Users.

http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/index.jsp?pgid=14900014

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Corel woos CS cross-graders with promotion
on Aug 2, 2013 at 10:22:40 pm

Yeah, and I bet they haven't touched a single, solitary thing in those applications to make them work more like the Adobe apps they claim to replace.

I suppose I should also say they haven't changed them YET. If Corel's smart, those folks will get busy.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Aug 2, 2013 at 10:58:18 pm

You are so right, Dave. Those Corel apps are basically only used by the laminated plastic sign industry, mostly because the printer/cutters were set up to use CorelDraw files. I was a Corel user for several years (in the 90s), and it's a pale comparison to any of the Adobe apps (specifically Illustrator and Photoshop). If you want to get into natural media work, Painter runs circles around Photoshop, but that's about it.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Aug 2, 2013 at 11:47:37 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "You are so right, Dave. Those Corel apps are basically only used by the laminated plastic sign industry, mostly because the printer/cutters were set up to use CorelDraw files. I was a Corel user for several years (in the 90s), and it's a pale comparison to any of the Adobe apps (specifically Illustrator and Photoshop). If you want to get into natural media work, Painter runs circles around Photoshop, but that's about it.
"

No doubt. I wasn't suggesting they are a substitutes for Adobe software at all, merely that Corel acknowledges that Adobe has alienated a portion of its customer base and Corel would love the business.

It would be difficult if not impossible to replace several products in the Creative Suite. I've been a loyal Adobe customer since the '80s. I still have my floppy disk for Illustrator '88. Bought Photoshop 1 at MacWorld, beta-tested InDesign when the splash screen called it K2 , began using After Effects when Adobe took it over from COSA and still have the purple dongle for After Effects Pro (remember those?). Flash, Dreamweaver, GoLive, ScreenReady, ImageReady, Authorware, Director, Premiere –  bought-em and used-em all.

I know there ain't no easy substitutes.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 2, 2013 at 11:54:16 pm

Oh, I agree. It's just like Avid Media Composer banner ad that says, "Own It".

In Avid's case, they could at least compare if not do better than the Adobe Application.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:46:38 pm

I went Adobe free 10 months ago, even before the whole CC shenanigans. At that time I could pretty much see where Adobe was going with it, and decided to look for alternatives.

I started out with Photoshop v3, and was a faithful user till CS6.
For Photoshop I found a particularly impressive alternative: Photoline. Its basic workflow outpaces Photoshop: as many layer masks as you want per layer; each layer can be set to a custom image mode; page support; virtual cloned layers, and as far as pure image editing goes, on par with Photoshop. No 3d or video fluff. I only open Photoshop CS6 sometimes to convert things. That's it. I actually PREFER to work in Photoline.

I left Dreamweaver years ago: WAY superior code environments out there, most free. Currently I use Komodo Edit and NetBeans (both are free!). They run circles around Dreamweaver.

Instead of Illustrator I now use Xara Designer Pro. Also a good web page prototype app. Comparable to Muse in that regard.

Adobe started killing Flash the moment they bought Macromedia out. No longer relevant for the web. For 2d character animation Flash is absolutely horrid, and I switched to Anime Studio a couple of years ago. Another good alternative is Toonboom Animation. If you really need to develop in ActionScript, Flex is a better approach (open source and free).

For digital painting I use a combination of Manga Studio, Photoline, and Krita. Manga Studio has the best drawing "feel" I have experienced so far. I am not alone in this: it's years ahead of Photoshop, even better than Corel Painter. Krita is the new kid on the block, and now runs quite well in Windows too. I use it as a "super painting" plugin in Photoline with its new "external program" link in the latest beta. Amazingly enough Krita is completely free and open source.

InDesign I replaced with a combination of Scribus and PageStream. There are other good alternatives, like QuarkXPress.

The only Adobe application I have not found a real replacement for is After Effects. Still on CS6 for that one.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Aug 3, 2013 at 5:49:15 pm

Corel also has pinnacle ultimate that used to be avid studio its got more pro features than the corel timate, maybe not for highend broadcast (depending) but good for most pro work.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 3, 2013 at 4:54:17 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Yeah, and I bet they haven't touched a single, solitary thing in those applications to make them work more like the Adobe apps they claim to replace.

I suppose I should also say they haven't changed them YET. If Corel's smart, those folks will get busy.
"

The page says you can download trial versions so who is going to go first and report back? Y'all keep saying "we're leaving Adobe" and here's a nice chance to see what's out there for free.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Aug 4, 2013 at 2:55:50 am

I did 'leave Adobe', just like I said I would. In my case, I'm a one man video production company
and I don't need Illustrator/Indesign. I got FCP X, Motion, and Compressor. I'm a former FCP 7
user who switched to CS 6 (ironically because it was closer to FCP 7 than FCP X was).
The CC sealed the deal and I paid less than a year in subscription costs to CC, for Apple's tools.
I'm also looking into MC 7 and learning Avid for the first time ever. No 'idle threats' here, I
refuse to use a Adobe product for as long as they force me to pay rent.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 4, 2013 at 2:16:18 pm

[walter biscardi] "Y'all keep saying "we're leaving Adobe" and here's a nice chance to see what's out there for free."

Who's y'all? The majority of the people on this blog (among those unhappy with mandatory CC) have said the opposite, that while they are looking at alternatives, they would greatly prefer some compromise from Adobe, and that we love Adobe tools.

I've read those sentiments many times on this blog. I've posted the same sentiments many times.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:13:54 am

[walter biscardi] "Y'all keep saying "we're leaving Adobe" and here's a nice chance to see what's out there for free."

There's a big difference between "leaving Adobe" and "not getting the Creative Cloud applications".

The video editing application looks okay, but it doesn't look like Corel makes anything that even comes close to After Effects. Audio editing and effects? Forget about it.

So: having used Adobe -- the Audi of multimedia software, I guess -- you don't really need to take a Yugo for a test drive just to see what's out here.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Dustin Lawhorn
on Aug 6, 2013 at 4:38:12 am

[Dave LaRonde] "So: having used Adobe -- the Audi of multimedia software, I guess -- you don't really need to take a Yugo for a test drive just to see what's out here."

Yeah! That!

(I used to work with a station engineer who was always talking in those automobile=editing suite metaphors... Nice memories...)

-dl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]