FORUMS: list search recent posts

month to month?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
month to month?
on Jul 31, 2013 at 2:09:38 pm

Is there a monthly plan which doesn't require an annual subscription? The annual plan is actually a $600/year subscription, paid monthly.

I would like to be able to pay when I need it, turn the meter off when I don't. But I suspect that a month-to-month charge will turn out to be huge, if it is even available.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: month to month?
on Jul 31, 2013 at 3:03:57 pm

Yes there is but it costs more.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 31, 2013 at 3:41:00 pm

Welcome to the Brave New World of Adobe multimedia applications, wherein the Little Guy -- who may only have rare or occasional needs for a limited number of applications -- is completely overlooked.

How are you enjoyin' it so far?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jul 31, 2013 at 6:33:48 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "How are you enjoyin' it so far?"

I use CC daily. It's been good to me.

Return to posts index

Tyler Wiethorn
on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:04:11 am

If the 'overlooked little-guy' who only has 'occasional' need for a handful of applications insists on running the latest and greatest version of CC applications, then they should expect to pay a premium. Otherwise, they are still welcome and able to get a functional and capable CS6 license (or CS5.5, 5).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:16:55 am

That's nice. We'll see how using CS6 works out in about 5-6 years, I guess.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Tyler Wiethorn
on Aug 1, 2013 at 12:34:46 am

We can't possibly predict 5-6 years from now. But I'll play along and suppose you are right. Maybe in the year 2019, an enthusiast photographer will boot up his quantum computer, load in some vacation photos, then thrust his fists in the air, cursing the summer of 2013 when Adobe took away Photoshop for the hobbyist user.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 1, 2013 at 2:57:11 pm

[Tyler Wiethorn] "We can't possibly predict 5-6 years from now."

I have never owned a piece of software that was still valid and generally usable after 5 years. Changes in OS, hardware, general performance issues, features and comparability all lead to the same circumstance.

From that perspective, we most certainly can predict what will happen in 5 years. CS6 is NOT a long term solution for customers who will not get on the CC roller coaster. Adobe is well aware of this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:09:46 pm

[Chris Pettit] "CS6 is NOT a long term solution for customers who will not get on the CC roller coaster. Adobe is well aware of this."

Right! And if you're not a big fan of your project files being held hostage five years hence, you have some choices to make right now.

And one of those choices would be, "Do I stick with Adobe software?"

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:40:51 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Right! And if you're not a big fan of your project files being held hostage five years hence, you have some choices to make right now.

And one of those choices would be, "Do I stick with Adobe software?""

100% agreed. Adobe has forced thousands of its long term users to make very undesirable choices.

For me that process starts right now. It will take time, and I don't know where it will lead me (hopefully to a compromise solution with Adobe, although I'm losing hope). I certainly cant just go by other software (yet). But it's business suicide to just ignore the issue.

Researching alternatives, thinking about completely different workflow models, talking with other developers and vendors about their plans, talking to clients about file formats in the future, strong consideration to restricting the fairly wide services I offer my clients, a completely new thinking about what retirement might look like and how I would phase slowly in to retirement, what formats my work will ultimately be in, and how I continue to access and develop my work (art) over time.

All of these realities and many more are being forced on us by the hasty and abrupt "take it or leave it" mandatory move by Adobe. Profoundly unfair to it's own loyal customers.

No matter what anyone thinks of CC overall, it is simply appalling that Adobe has forced it's long term users, who have supported them all these years, into a state of crisis (of sorts).

Everything I do for a living, affecting how I pay to put my kids though college and pay my mortgage are being impacted by Adobe's decision. Serious and difficult decisions lie ahead in the coming days, months and years.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:40:35 pm

[Chris Pettit] "I have never owned a piece of software that was still valid and generally usable after 5 years. Changes in OS, hardware, general performance issues, features and comparability all lead to the same circumstance."

First, thanks for all of the comments, which I've thought about a lot. Second, Chris, I understand this comment and generally agree, esp. if you meant "compatibility" instead of "comparability." But we should not, as consumers of software, take obsolescence for granted. I use a couple of "old" programs (one of them, for accounting, from 1998) which are superior to the updates.

Apple's penchant for creative destruction (Firewire, classic FCP, etc.) is great for innovation. But stability and familiarity can enhance productivity and quality. I know a fantastic editor who used the original D/Vision Pro NLE on very high-profile projects for many years after it was EOLed. What counts in the end is the artist behind the machine. Hard to get "into the zone" when you have to keep learning the software - much better when the software sort of disappears from your consciousness.

One question I have about the CC subscription mode: It is a truism not to buy "1.0" of any software, and not to upgrade until other people have bought/beta-tested it. If the software is continually being updated/upgraded, does the user run the risk of unplanned quirks and outright programming errors? What happens when there is the equivalent of a major "point.0" release in the CC universe?

If I were producing my own projects exclusively, I would probably stay with what I have. But I do a lot of collaboration, and have to keep up with my clients and colleagues, so I'm subscribing, because you are correct about the technological side of it. It isn't for the rest of my life, and if, in a year or two, a competitor has emerged, I can switch. I doubt that will happen for AE, though.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:46:53 pm

[Bob Cole] "Chris, I understand this comment and generally agree, esp. if you meant "compatibility" instead of "comparability.""

Yes, thats what I meant, sorry for the typo

[Bob Cole] "One question I have about the CC subscription mode: It is a truism not to buy "1.0" of any software, and not to upgrade until other people have bought/beta-tested it. If the software is continually being updated/upgraded, does the user run the risk of unplanned quirks and outright programming errors? What happens when there is the equivalent of a major "point.0" release in the CC universe?"

My understanding is that you will not be forced to install an upgrade to a specific product until you're ready. I have questions about how that's going really shake out in practice, but Adobe has made that clear to thier credit

[Bob Cole] "If I were producing my own projects exclusively, I would probably stay with what I have. But I do a lot of collaboration, and have to keep up with my clients and colleagues, so I'm subscribing, because you are correct about the technological side of it. It isn't for the rest of my life, and if, in a year or two, a competitor has emerged, I can switch. I doubt that will happen for AE, though."

I agree Bob. AE is my biggest concern, and my biggest impediment to migration elsewhere. That's why I still holding out hope for some modification to policy regarding "exit strategy" but Adobe's silence in this regard is becoming impossible to ignore.

EDIT: And FLASH. 1/2 my business at the moment is touchscreen application development. There is nowhere else to go, at least at the moment. I was nervous when Adobe bought Macromedia, my concerns have proven correct.

Return to posts index

Dustin Lawhorn
on Aug 1, 2013 at 6:42:18 pm

[Chris Pettit] "I agree Bob. AE is my biggest concern, and my biggest impediment to migration elsewhere. That's why I still holding out hope for some modification to policy regarding "exit strategy" but Adobe's silence in this regard is becoming impossible to ignore.

I have to say it's AE for me too. Premiere was my solution to the FCPX problem. (Although I have both NLEs) I've been using Premiere since v.6 way before CS came along. I preferred FCP, used Avid a lot. But I wasn't married to Premiere...although Roundtripping / Dynamic Linking became a real asset with AE in my workflow. So, I can move on to another NLE; but, AE is gonna be hard to leave. I also really liked Encore for creating dead simple flash sites for previewing--but, I understand why it's dead in the water.

The second most useful program in the Adobe Suite that I'm gonna miss is Audition. Hands-down my favorite audio editor since the days of Cool Edit Pro. Soundtrack doesn't even come close for me. Edit: Good riddance to Soundbooth

-dl

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Aug 2, 2013 at 12:35:07 am

[Dustin Lawhorn] "The second most useful program in the Adobe Suite that I'm gonna miss is Audition. Hands-down my favorite audio editor since the days of Cool Edit Pro. "

Yep, used AU again today myself. While there are options for competing products in audio, I prefer AU as well Dustin.

That's the point isn't it? The Creative Suite concept was sold to us as something we could purchase, invest in not just with our cash, but our lives and careers.

From the concept of bundling in different configurations that fit different business models, to dynamic linking, to the broad concept of Adobe's ability to continue to deliver innovations that enhance our productivity, creativity and profitability, we were sold for years on the idea that we could invest with confidence in these tools and that they would only get better over time.

"Trust us"...

I love the tools. I no longer trust Adobe.

Return to posts index

Paul King
on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:48:04 pm

Hi Bob

Yes you can switch anytime you like.
However you still have to continue to pay Adobe.
You'll be paying for two lots of software.

You might have time left on your Adobe contract when you switch. You also have need to keep you subscription going because you need to access old files ( I certainly do).

Return to posts index

Paul King
on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:36:33 pm

Yes but they are buying software with bugs that have not been fixed and will probably never be fixed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]