FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Will Versioning Work?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Huff
How Will Versioning Work?
on May 9, 2013 at 3:10:31 pm

Maybe I'm just not understanding the concept here, but you have, on the one hand, people claiming that updates will be streamlined into the Creative Cloud and they won't be held back for the "next version".

Okay.

But at the same time, we're being told that under Creative Cloud we'll have access to older versions (with CS6 being the oldest I presume).

These two ideas conflict. Is there just "Premiere Next" and it will have all future enhancements applied to it with a simple patch? Or will there be "Premiere Next 2" and "Premiere Next 3" and so forth? In which case, isn't the kind of updating going to be exactly what we're use to seeing?

Return to posts index

Karl Soule
Re: How Will Versioning Work?
on May 9, 2013 at 3:23:13 pm

Premiere Pro CC is at Version 7.0, Prelude CC is on version 2.0, After Effects CC is on version 12.0, etc. The individual products have always had version numbers as well. The Creative Cloud app will notify of updates, but continue to offer the major older versions as well, with CS6 being the starting point.

Karl Soule'
blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad
k soule (@) adobe (period) com
Twitter: karlsoule

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 4:38:57 pm

[Karl Soule] "The Creative Cloud app will notify of updates, but continue to offer the major older versions as well, with CS6 being the starting point."

So this whole "more, faster updates!" doesn't really equate to any difference to the end user it sounds like. Why wouldn't Adobe still hold off on major new features for, say, Premiere Pro CC Version 8.0? Or Prelude 4.0?

If the "updates" will continue to be standard bug fixes and issue resolving, then isn't Adobe basically saying that it wasn't really worth their while to really fix problems with their software all these years before?

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 9, 2013 at 6:07:28 pm

Adobe said upgrades anytime but they did not ipgrade anything yer so those that entered cc a yeat ago got nothing unless they continue.

Richard

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 6:18:11 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "Adobe said upgrades anytime but they did not ipgrade anything yer so those that entered cc a yeat ago got nothing unless they continue."

Well, it was a good deal for what I got at $29.99. And I'm a satisfied Creative Cloud subscriber at the moment, but this is my livelihood and I don't like having it messed with, so I'm sorting through this just like everyone else.

Adobe could simply nail it going forward and turn $49.99 into a super good deal that is worth every penny...or they could royally muck it up. The trick is, for those of us who need software of this type to actually work, to have a gameplan ready in case of the latter. And one way to help develop that is to cut through the b.s....and this whole "Adobe can now deliver upgrades even faster" strikes me like that.

Upgrades, updates, whatever, need to be coded and tested thoroughly...seriously, pushing them out to the end user has been a no-brainer for years now, and I fail to see exactly how CC is going to enhance that at all...unless, as I stated before, Adobe is essentially saying that it wasn't previously worth it to them to actually fix things and give us incrementally functionality updates.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 9, 2013 at 6:36:23 pm

Selling a suite of boxed software every year puts all the project teams on an artificially locked update cycle and I think CC is supposed to eleviate this. I mean, hypothetically let's say Pr has a really good upgrade ready in January but they can't get it to users until July when the next suite release is scheduled. Down the hall, the AE team is having some bug problems with a new feature so they have to decided whether or not to ship it as-is, and hopefully squash the bigs shortly after launch to avoid taking excessive heat for shipping a buggy program, or they pull the new feature entirely and wait a year to include it in the next iteration of the software.

As I take it this will allow CC apps to be updated independently of themselves and it also frees Adobe from worrying about SOX accounting problems since people are paying for a subscription.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 6:40:47 pm

[Andrew Kimery] " I mean, hypothetically let's say Pr has a really good upgrade ready in January but they can't get it to users until July when the next suite release is scheduled. Down the hall, the AE team is having some bug problems with a new feature so they have to decided whether or not to ship it as-is, and hopefully squash the bigs shortly after launch to avoid taking excessive heat for shipping a buggy program, or they pull the new feature entirely and wait a year to include it in the next iteration of the software."

Okay, that makes more sense to me. We'll see if it turns out like this in practice. All too often people try to shoehorn the old way of doing things into the new delivery method.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 9, 2013 at 6:49:48 pm

[Gary Huff] "Okay, that makes more sense to me. We'll see if it turns out like this in practice. All too often people try to shoehorn the old way of doing things into the new delivery method."

Of couse. How something is pitched to work and how it actually works aren't always the same thing.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 9, 2013 at 7:45:53 pm

knowing that even released software can be buggy now they can take there time yup no more ovetime or rush it will be ready when its ready. on a day week year or more. mean while keep your debit account funded.

Richard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]