FORUMS: list search recent posts

Picking out a sentence and being mean about it.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Picking out a sentence and being mean about it.
on Jul 21, 2013 at 11:00:21 pm

basically a re-post and buried in the thread below but:

[Juan Salvo] "Adobe isn't making any claims on the edited product. They are making claims on the tool used to produce that product."

Say that to a writer and see how it works - no one would ever dare.

[Juan Salvo] "Adobe isn't making any claims on the edited product. They are making claims on the tool used to produce that product."

say that to an architect and see how it works - no one would ever dare.

say that to a musician and see how it works - probably no one would ever dare.

adobe asserting continuous live authorship of the tools regardless of usage, that the tools are always theirs to rent creates weird circumstances.
It's also noticeable that we are not in a cultural hotspot. we are not writers. Adobe have a lot of leeway here. The best we are ever going to get is the pogue piece in the times.

I would seriously ask anyone to re-read that, repeated, top sentence above and have a really, really long, proper think.
think about what it means going forward.
seriously - we're talking about print, photography, dtp, web, mograph and video post.
we are willing to accept those continual tool ownership claims on all creative products of the software they, adobe, code?

are. we. out of our minds.

If this isn't a monopolistic claim, I don't know what is, because unless adobe felt they had a reasonably monopolistic position at the outset, they would never dare declare that their tools are not for sale.
Instead, they, as landlords, are refining a toolset that they expect to be utilised by their tenancy: that they have land software property to be effected by tenants.
that adobe intellectually propose (consensually even), and their tenants enact.
we are gotten to a pretty anachronistic point here in case it escaped anyone, its gotten pretty close to feudal: because if there were competition in imaging, dtp and mograph, we would drop their weird terms like a rock, and move on. but we have very limited room to manoeuvre here.

the idea that certain people (#postchat #teamadobe) are enabling them in this new mindset is mindboggling.
Adobe are market supposed to lose this kind of argument. its a bad argument. a functioning market is supposed to swat it. If their software cannot compete in the mid term, so be it.
the interesting point is that they're dying online and they know it.
you might think that is why video, image and post got such weird overwhelming love at nab. Adobe have a near dead audience online.

no one cares about muse or edge. the kids have moved on.

this is a company in a bad place doing weird things and we would be well served to wait them out.

to repeat this: could people please have the sense to not sign up right now?
because it is the only short term lever we are ever going to have to alter their fairly distorted mental thinking.

as they say, and I really mean this: if you care about adobe....

#adobe2014
http://www.adobe2014.tumblr.com

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Re: Picking out a sentence and being mean about it.
on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:53:12 am

i think we are seeing a mass conversion of apple fanboys to adobe plus new converts.

no other explanation.

ricardo

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 22, 2013 at 3:02:16 am

[Ricardo Marty] "i think we are seeing a mass conversion of apple fanboys to adobe plus new converts."

I don't think it's fair to label supporters as fanboys...unless they were one of the ones going, "The only people mad about the cloud are the pirates, because they won't be able to pirate anymore!" since that was stupid b.s.

And it's been pirated. So neener neener!

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:00:02 pm

i dont think its fair to call those mad at the cloud as pirates. adobe pulled a fast one and that pissed many.

ricardo

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jul 22, 2013 at 5:51:38 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "i dont think its fair to call those mad at the cloud as pirates"

I think it would be healthy for those on either side of the argument to recognize that the other has legitimate reasons for their position.

Those who feel like it works are not "fanboys" and those who don't like are not criminals...but neither is Adobe for trying to run a healthier business.

It's a new way of doing business and I think the jury is out on whether it will ultimately work, but Adobe had to make a total committment to it to give it a fair shot, so I suspect they knew they'd have a rough run in the beginning.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:26:25 pm

Avid + Symphony
Resolve
Smac
Pixelmator
A new top end iMac to run it all on
Chuck in a colorist panel & motorized faders

Better in every way and the same money adobe will leech off you over the next 7 years - and you never have to hear that word again..

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:37:29 pm

[Dan Stewart] "Better in every way...."

I guess I don't understand how these applications plus an iMac are better than the Adobe Suite in "every way"... are you saying that, for every capability found in the Adobe Suite, one of these applications does it better, or are you saying that these packages combined do more than Adobe's offerings?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:51:32 pm

some dont need all the apps in production premium or the cloud. with the exception of certain functions in ae most of the suite is expendable.

ricardo

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:39:41 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "some dont need all the apps in production premium or the cloud. with the exception of certain functions in ae most of the suite is expendable."

I guess I still don't understand how this makes the applications that Dan listed "better in every way" than CC? I can understand the case for perpetual licensing of software vs subscription... but it seemed like Dan's point was more about the quality and features of the software listed. I was looking more for a feature comparison... or maybe some more specific reasoning as to why Avid Symphony, Resolve, Smoke for Mac
and Pixelmator are "better in every way" that Adobe CC.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jul 22, 2013 at 9:27:27 pm

i agree but if they dont need them or its not mission critical they become useless. like a refrigrator to an eskimo or a comb to bald head.

ricardo

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jul 22, 2013 at 11:38:07 pm

Solipsistic, sorry. It's all I need at least..

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jul 23, 2013 at 2:47:11 am

Here's a cool link:

http://fountain.io/

not as cool link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rentier_capitalism

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:08:20 pm

That's a good pair of links Richard.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]