FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jim Campbell talks about Adobe CC.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Taylor
Jim Campbell talks about Adobe CC.
on Jul 20, 2013 at 8:14:26 pm

I wonder if others in his profession feel the same way?

http://clintflickerlettering.blogspot.com/2013/07/head-in-clouds-saying-no-...

JT

Return to posts index

Dustin Lawhorn
Re: Jim Campbell talks about Adobe CC.
on Jul 21, 2013 at 1:14:14 am

Wow, great read! I especially love this part:

(Start of quote)
"Someone called Sam Charrington posted the following on Adobe's Creative Cloud Facebook page, in response to a call from them for people's favourite jokes:
A man goes into a pub and asks the landlord for a pint of bitter.

"Sorry," says the landlord, "we don't sell beer anymore, we rent it instead."

"But that's madness," says the man.

"It's called innovation," says the landlord.

"Oh well," says the man, "I'll rent a pint of bitter please."

"You can't just rent the bitter," says the landlord, "you have to rent the whisky, the rum, the lager, the gin, the vodka, the crisps and the pork scratchings - the whole lot."

"But I don't need all that, and I can't afford it," says the man.

"I don't care," says the landlord.

"But I've been coming here for years," says the man.

"Talk to the hand..." says the landlord. (end of quote)

Nice.

I have talked to a lot of my print graphics buddies and they feel similarly. However, most of them feel they are stuck between and rock and a hard place. They acknowledge that Adobe is a monopoly in their industry and they don't feel that there is much they can do about it. It's something that has been stated in the "Thanks, Adobe" thread a few times. And I don't really know what to say beyond that.

I remain optimistic myself. I worked in the Education sector for many years and we shifted in our curriculum from Final Cut Studio Suites with Quark over to Adobe CS suites that had Final Cut Studio on them too.
The Art instructors were pretty happy teaching Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator and even some Flash. Now they're talking about staying with CS6 until it just won't run anymore. It feels strange to think that students five years from now may be losing out a bit on what they can say they know when they get out in the field...

It's funny because I always taught After Effects + Illustrator and Motion the same way I taught FCP and Premiere. Come to think of it I taught Blender and Maya the same way... I would teach the concepts: compositing, keying, key framing, expressions, etc. Then I would show them how different programs just had different ways of saying the same things. Students always thanked me later because they could figure out programs so much faster when they got out in the field. If they knew the concepts of "logging and capturing" they just had to figure out what that same feature was on that Video Toaster in their local market. They could figure out how Maya and Blender do NERBs and polygons differently yet (still) similarly. They weren't as intimidated by the Chyrons because they knew how to composite...

Now that I'm not in Education, I have to make decisions that are best for the work that I do. I'm sticking with CS6 until the subscription issues clear out. If Adobe came out tomorrow and offered the choice of a single purchase price OR subscription for the rest of your life, I would be purchasing the one time purchase price and not looking back.

-dl

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 21, 2013 at 3:09:35 am

[Dustin Lawhorn] "Now they're talking about staying with CS6 until it just won't run anymore. It feels strange to think that students five years from now may be losing out a bit on what they can say they know when they get out in the field..."

This is a legitimate issue in education. I'm cutting a professionally-produced indie feature film in conjunction with a local college film technology program. They've been on FCP7 and this is the start of their fiscal year, so there is some budget money to upgrade.

We weighed FCP X, Premiere Pro CC and Avid MC7. To add 4 licenses of Adobe CC for the department's machines would add $1440/year to their operating expenses. While this might not be an issue relative to cost, it IS - relative to budget structures. They often upgrade hardware and software based on grant money and cannot predict what they have to spend from one year to the next. Adding an ongoing EXPENSE for a service, as opposed to purchasing a defined product, changes the equation.

Although the college may ultimately do a Cloud deal, this particular decision would have needed to go to the Dean level or above and wouldn't be decided in the necessary time frame. So for now, the department has gone with Avid and FCP X, plus a slew of App Store software, including Photoshop Elements. In total, less than a year of the Cloud for 4 systems, with possibly no additional cost (or at least minor) next year.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Jul 21, 2013 at 3:36:13 am

[Oliver Peters] "the department has gone with Avid and FCP X"

Not sure what the deal is with FCPX for education but my understanding is that a single seat is 5 licences.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 21, 2013 at 5:26:16 am

Funny...that's the part of the article that I found wrong and took issue with. Because he says, rightly, that you can license ONE application for $19.95 a month. But then when he does the bar analogy, the bartender says that he can't just rent a beer, but he has to also rent all the other alcohol too...he can't just do one. Which is at odds with what he said earlier.

Besides, it's a completely WRONG analogy, not similar to this at all. A better one is that a carpenter can no longer buy his hammer or saw, but has to rent it. And if they stop renting it, then it gets reclaimed and is no longer in his tool belt.

Subscriptions work for magazines, cable, telephone. Those are SERVICES. Software isn't a service, it's a tool. Yes, you rent some tools, like Panavision cameras (no one could buy them, rent only) and other camera types. But that was rare. And once you shot the film, you no longer needed that tool to access it. It's job was done. Photoshop files, AE files, PPRo Project files...you need to access those constantly.

I have CS5.5 for Photoshop and AE and other stuff...I'm pondering getting CS6 for PPro only, as I do use that for editing and as a conversion tool. I'm going to avoid the CC, which is easy in the area of post I'm in. Avid is king here.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dustin Lawhorn
on Jul 21, 2013 at 3:15:04 pm

[Shane Ross] "Funny...that's the part of the article that I found wrong and took issue with. Because he says, rightly, that you can license ONE application for $19.95 a month. But then when he does the bar analogy, the bartender says that he can't just rent a beer, but he has to also rent all the other alcohol too...he can't just do one. Which is at odds with what he said earlier."

I found it more funny that it was something pasted on Adobe's Facebook wall!

I agree with you about the tool analogy too. I need access to all of my work (those you listed) constantly and dependably.

-dl

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:13:04 pm

When it comes to editing, Avid is the only choice because Adobe is dead because of the CC, and Apple because of FCPX. In terms of Photoshop, I think you can live with 5.5 for the next 10 years, with after effects for the next 5 years. See what happens in the meantime.
We are not a stupid cow, eating the grass we get served!

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 26, 2013 at 4:37:44 am

Dustin, it seems from your comment about needing to subscribe to "the whole lot" that you might not realize that there are single-application subscriptions, which are now $9.99/month for people who already have CS6 applications:
http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs-single-app-membership.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jul 26, 2013 at 8:19:07 am

...for one year!
(Without that it´s misleading)

Return to posts index

Dustin Lawhorn
on Jul 27, 2013 at 1:27:01 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "Dustin, it seems from your comment about needing to subscribe to "the whole lot" that you might not realize that there are single-application subscriptions, which are now $9.99/month for people who already have CS6 applications:"

Nope. I knew that all along. Either you have access to one app or access to everything. No more Production Suites, etc. After Effects by itself isn't enough for me, but at the same time I don't need InDesign for my current workflow.

-dl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]