FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hampered by Subscription: CC Review (macworld)

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Hampered by Subscription: CC Review (macworld)
on Jul 12, 2013 at 4:06:59 pm

http://www.macworld.com/article/2043340/adobe-audition-cc-solid-upgrade-ham...

The only thing that will prevent me from using it on into the future is the requirement that I rent rather than own it. Audition is a wonderful tool, but its talents and audience make it an inappropriate choice for subscription-only access.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Hampered by Subscription: CC Review (macworld)
on Jul 12, 2013 at 5:51:57 pm

That is the only thing I dislike about it. I used the trial, even have a few days left and got to try the new update. But the idea of perpetual renting is very off-putting. I might get only PPro for a year and see how things go, if I do more than edit home movies on it. Might. I'll have to see if a project demands it before I even go there. I might just do month by month, project basis.

It's decently priced for a single user like myself, but the concept of not owning, perpetual renting...has put me off using it. I'm so torn, I REALLY like what it offers. Pricing model is the key factor for me not trying to push it for future projects.

Sorry Adobe...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Jul 12, 2013 at 6:25:48 pm

~What Shane said. Same boat.

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Jul 12, 2013 at 9:02:55 pm

ditto. Want the new tools. Looking for anyway to justify the subscription thing. Hard to do, at least until for now

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 12, 2013 at 9:15:02 pm

Same here - whats worse, I think PPro is kind of hobbled out the gate in London by being tied into a subscription scheme in its first deadly serious incarnation. Even if adobe wanted to go here, you'd think they would have held off at least a year even to let the new suite - and particularly PPro bed in across town. there's a million ways they could have prepared the ground for the reality that they needed to move the suite to some form of subscription. Particularly if they'd had anything like an adult conversation with 8.5 million+ pro customers. As opposed to blitzing the globe with stupid artists renderings of the CC logo. christ.

with a bit of time, with PPro they could have half locked in a ton of mid size post houses. they've got one or two biggies including hogarth, who are half huge, and AP, but a lot of people are drawing their hand back.

I've been in a bunch of places that are not at all keen to get all their ongoing client assets into a rental bed with adobe. mostly because adobe engineered a mountain of FUD by springing everything in the weeks after NAB. that was a crazy jack in the box surprise. Its the actions of the management as much as anything that would give you pause.

there's a post below that says some people from adobe are vocally aware of the perception issue and working to formulate something, but they'd want to get something out. Has anyone looked at the CC FB page? it is still a total bombsite. Every single post they put out is a crater of derision.

If anything the recent ars technica and macworld articles seem to reflect a growing press understanding that adobe may have a fundamental problem here. They're not apple. they can't take FCPX level rejection over the midterm - Adobe currently have just under 9% of the CS suite installs on CC after 18 months.

they figure if they get to just on 50% by 2016 they are OK. I'm genuinely starting to wonder if that's true.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 12, 2013 at 9:55:24 pm

I'm torn as well, but the model does work for a lot of folks. This comment from a client facility yesterday that moved from FCS to CS6 and now CC. The owner said he loves the fact that he no longer has to worry about budgeting for upgrades and keeping track of a myriad of serial numbers. Plus he gets multiple revenue streams if he wants them - photo, video, print, audio and web.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 12, 2013 at 11:22:30 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Plus he gets multiple revenue streams if he wants them - photo, video, print, audio and web."

true as far as it goes? Although I sat through a lot of muse demos - I was struck by the fact that off college quark/indesign mental headspace - off a few weeks grind, you can probably present for small scale B&B sole trader websites. that said the billing on that scale stuff is incredibly low these days?

I can't escape the notion that adobe are being a bit crass in selling the idea that we can pollinate in all directions simply because they are offloading everything they ever made for a one time pitch to rent onto their entire customer base.

it feels a lot like higher management picking up and shaking out a large software cutlery drawer all over the table. Its messy.
Stuff is everywhere here. Macworld make a valid point in relation to audition, and its natural market.

Isn't this beginning to feel slightly weird?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jul 13, 2013 at 12:28:14 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Isn't this beginning to feel slightly weird?"

It's been weird since May 7.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jul 14, 2013 at 10:39:08 pm

Never worry about budgeting for upgrades...????

Is it meant: I will pay what ever they want for automated updates, if I don´t have to compare/want to think about/want to watch competition...
(what´s the statement of the financial department : )?

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jul 15, 2013 at 11:45:50 am

It's quickly becoming Adobe's achilles heel. The problem is that their software is not an end-game product, it's a line of software that makes other products (music, videos, apps, etc).

Unlike most other software on the market, Adobe's software is a tie-in to something valued much greater: the music, films, and other various artistic creations by their customers. An artist, without question, always wants to own their creation, and therefore wants to own the tools required in that creation process. If you take away ownership of the tools, then you also take some ownership of the artist along with it. The psychological impact of this truth is going to cost Adobe millions in the next year alone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]