FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Shareholder Oriented License Model: CC Review (arstechnica)

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
A Shareholder Oriented License Model: CC Review (arstechnica)
on Jul 10, 2013 at 2:59:21 am

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/photoshop-cc-modest-u...

page 4 for the highlights:

There are other subscription models out there, but if you compare them to something like Autodesk’s subscription model, Adobe’s is comparably awful. I pay for a yearly subscription to Autodesk’s Maya, and while you don’t have the ability to resell your software (which was successfully challenged in the EU but not the US), Autodesk doesn’t take away your ability to use the software if you choose to stop your subscription. [...]

The entire industry is not going to shift overnight to non-Adobe applications because of this, but the company definitely just handed a bump to its rivals in every software category. I think a lot of people just rethought switching to Premiere from Final Cut. [...]

... thanks to a shareholder-oriented license model that places Adobe customers in a bad spot, the entire line of Creative Cloud applications comes with a massive asterisk hanging over them. I think that Photoshop CC’s features are nice, but the licensing drawback is so severe that it leans this version toward “don’t upgrade.”

Franz.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: A Shareholder Oriented License Model: CC Review (arstechnica)
on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:07:40 am

LOL, you beat me to it! (just deleted my post above) :)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:34:05 pm

That's the whole game, right there IMO. What happens if subscriptions stop... loosing access not just to the tools, but to the work. The single most important issue in the debate.

If Adobe finds some way to deal with this issue, I believe that opposition and bad press diminish dramatically overnight.

I know I want the tools. I know that I don't have time to waste fighting Adobe every day. I know that if they protect my long term security with their products, I'll hold my nose and probably subscribe. Probably the week they announce a change.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 11, 2013 at 3:35:52 pm

What would be your reaction if Adobe changed the way it works, to allow you to open existing projects, but would not allow you to create new ones (the Memento option?) if you let your subscription lapse?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Jul 11, 2013 at 3:53:15 pm

Fair question. I've heard this floated before.

I guess my reaction would be what good is it to open old projects if I cant update them? And if I can update them, but cant create ANY new files of any kind (a new dynamically linked AE file to an old Premier edit for example, or a new PS file to import layers into an existing AE) then is it in any real sense editable anyway?

Also, frankly, after giving Adobe thousands of dollars for years of subscriptions, I guess I just would never be happy not being even able to create a video edit of my kid playing baseball or experiment with new plugins without any client actually paying for the work. etc

I think Adobe has forgot that their customers are artist as well as business people

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:09:57 pm

"Fair question. I've heard this floated before.

I guess my reaction would be what good is it to open old projects if I cant update them? And if I can update them, but cant create ANY new files of any kind (a new dynamically linked AE file to an old Premier edit for example, or a new PS file to import layers into an existing AE) then is it in any real sense editable anyway?"

I honestly haven't thought through very carefully how it could be implemented, but for sake of argument..you could open a project...tweak existing edits, even adding new elements....but actually creating a new project would require at least a months subscription. I guess Adobe would have to have some sort of check in process to prevent people from creating dummy projects with one clip in them to get perpetual use.

Or is the only acceptable solution where you get a perpetual license for the last version you were subscribed to? (Essentially total capitulation by Adobe)

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:25:07 pm

To be honest, I hadn't thought through this particular scenario either, no one has proposed it yet. All I heard from A. Rabiniowitz was what if you could open but not edit your files? The answer in that case would be of course not, that's useless.

Bottom line, Adobe has sold me and thousands of others for years on the value of dynamic linking and compatibility between their suite of apps. That's why we paid all that money for the suite to begin with.

I honestly don't see how you can "tweak" a project without being able to create new files. On my projects I usually have 100's or even thousands of documents from AE, PR, PS, FL, sometimes AI and AU. You simply cant update work without being able to create new files, it essentially locks me out of my work by default.

And I don't see making subscription payments for years rather than purchasing a suite of apps ever again as total capitulation by Adobe. Yes, if after a period of years, they grant me the last version of software, I "kind of" have a perpetual license, but I still made the payments.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:36:19 pm

[Chris Pettit] "I think Adobe has forgot that their customers are artist as well as business people"

This. ^

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]