FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying After Effects versus Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angelo Mike
Buying After Effects versus Creative Cloud
on Jun 30, 2013 at 8:51:34 pm

I'm confused about what Adobe requires about the Creative Cloud. I tried talking to a representative online about how to buy After Effects (since I couldn't find it on Adobe's website, and even with his direct link cannot figure out how to get to that page by navigating their site), who tried to get me to subscribe to the Creative Cloud a few times.

But do you need it? Is it required for getting updates? For keeping your copy of After Effects working regularly? I'd much rather just buy the software alone and pay for updates should I need them.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: Buying After Effects versus Creative Cloud
on Jun 30, 2013 at 9:12:30 pm

With the new release of Creative Cloud Adobe only sells subscriptions and no longer offers perpetual licenses. In other words, you can no longer "buy" the software; you must maintain an ongoing subscription. An individual application can be licensed for $20/month or $10/month for the first year if you are upgrading.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jun 30, 2013 at 9:49:38 pm

Well, I'm not doing that. Thanks.

Return to posts index

criis daw
on Jun 30, 2013 at 10:24:26 pm

So the last version is the last one you dont have to subscribe to ?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 30, 2013 at 10:38:09 pm

Yes, CS6 is the last one that doesn't require a subscription.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

criis daw
on Jun 30, 2013 at 10:39:47 pm

I better look after it then :)

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jun 30, 2013 at 11:21:55 pm

Oh, I'll probably get CS6 as well.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 1, 2013 at 7:13:08 am

You can still buy perpetual licenses for After Effects CS6 here.

Details about After Effects CC (12.0) and Creative Cloud are here:
http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:43:00 pm

While I have jumped on the subscription bandwagon (actually this makes my taxes easier), I am not terribly fond of the complete move away from traditional licences. However, if you really start looking at the costs, even for the skeptical, it becomes a lot less intimidating.

Right now AE CS6 cost is the equivalent of 40 months of it through the cloud service. Stand alone licences will only end up saving money if you are upgrading less than once every 3 years. Of course, if you are using AE heavily then you'll almost certainly want to be upgrading more frequently. Even if you are infrequently using AE, you can still spend less. While Adobe wouldn't want to encourage this behavior, you can sign up for month-to-month AE plan and then cancel it, only subscribing during the months that you need access to AE.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:40:18 pm

Wait, so if you buy the current version of After Effects, do you only pay the subscription fee? Or do you still buy the software up front, and then pay the monthly fee?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:50:28 pm

After Effects CC (12.0) is only available using a Creative Cloud subscription. Details about this version (with links to more information about Creative Cloud) are here:
http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:29:45 pm

...so, do you have to pay for the software up front, or do you only pay the monthly fee? I'm not psychic, and I'm not going to trust an already somewhat opaque website when it comes to this without specifics.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 3, 2013 at 10:04:11 pm

It is a subscription. You do not pay up front.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Jul 5, 2013 at 11:59:26 am

How about hiring me for the AE team blog? I know how to give clear and precise explanations of AE products better than the team behind your website does. I'm not joking. Someone could write a much clearer explanation of Creative Cloud and what it means for users for Adobe's website.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Beach
on Jul 5, 2013 at 1:19:43 pm

@Jeff Kay.

You are forgetting the value of the OWNED software when you calculate the 40 month time frame. You need to think about it like having equity in your house. Take your 40 month hard stop point. I will reference After Effects CS5 here because that is what we are talking about and the assumed value is in the 40 month range since it was released. AE CS5 still sells for $250 - $500 on Ebay. That means at the end of your 40 months with a perpetual license, you HAVE anywhere from $250 - $500 in equity. This pushed the "balance point" of subscription software much closer (more like less than 2 years). So at the end of 40 month what you have is an equivalent experience, except you have $250 - $500 in equity if you go the licensing route. Although this may not include possible value in updates, it also doesn't include possible market adjusted price increases in the subscription model is something like this DOES happen 2-3 years down the line.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]