FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pr CC cannot save CS6 compatible file

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Pr CC cannot save CS6 compatible file
on Jul 1, 2013 at 7:52:56 pm

Adobe promised us that we could save projects compatible for CS6, but I cannot find the option, and when I try to open a CC project in CS6, I get an error message saying it is damaged : (

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: Pr CC cannot save CS6 compatible file
on Jul 1, 2013 at 8:34:41 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Adobe promised us that we could save projects compatible for CS6, but I cannot find the option, and when I try to open a CC project in CS6, I get an error message saying it is damaged : ("

"Applications not listed here may not support exporting to Creative Suite 6, and may not do so in future releases.

New features added to the above list after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or by the Creative Suite 6 application."

From the Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ at this link:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#desktop-products

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:45:55 am

from Adobe's blog: "You should never lose access to your work, period."

I guess this doesn't count logging, subclips, primary colour correction, or titles - just to mention a few...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Shawn Altorio
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:44:25 pm

In the past 2 years I have had Premiere Pro 4.0, 5.0, and 5.5. As far as I remember, I was never able to save down to prior versions in any of those upgrades. I haven't come across anything that made me think that had change with CC.

- Shawn S. Altorio
Nuts 'n Gum
@NutsNGum on Twitter

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:57:42 pm

[Shawn Altorio] "In the past 2 years I have had Premiere Pro 4.0, 5.0, and 5.5. As far as I remember, I was never able to save down to prior versions in any of those upgrades. I haven't come across anything that made me think that had change with CC."

And I think that may be the problem. I never used PPRO in the past. I was a Final Cut Pro ship-jumper. Even though I bought the license for 5.5, didn't really start using PPRO until CS6. And I bet there are a lot of Final Cut orphans such as myself (though I admit I have been using FCPX sometimes of late) who are new to the Premiere software. We just didn't know about its general lack of backward compatibility and we made assumptions. Oh well, live and learn.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:59:21 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "I was a Final Cut Pro ship-jumper... We just didn't know about its general lack of backward compatibility and we made assumptions. Oh well, live and learn."

I don't mean to pick on you, but FCP wasn't backwards-compatible either. The workaround was the same: XML.

That said, I'd love to see a better solution here, and I'd encourage everyone here to file their feature requests as Todd suggested.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:08:25 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I don't mean to pick on you, but FCP wasn't backwards-compatible either"

That is true. Never really had to go backwards 'cause I always had a perpetual license for the version I was using. With CC Premiere this would change.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 1, 2013 at 9:44:04 pm

> "Adobe promised us that we could save projects compatible for CS6, but I cannot find the option, and when I try to open a CC project in CS6, I get an error message saying it is damaged : ( "

Please tell me the details of how that promise was made to you for Premiere Pro, so that I can follow up with whoever misinformed you.

The Premiere Pro team would, I'm certain, like to receive your feature request:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

FWIW, After Effects CC (12.0) can save a project as a version that can be opened in After Effects CS6 (11.0), and it is our intent to have future versions do the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2013 at 11:31:44 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "Please tell me the details of how that promise was made to you for Premiere Pro, so that I can follow up with whoever misinformed you."

classy snark there Todd. well done. Wonderful tone. Looks like you really enjoyed typing that one out.

man I tell you, adobe sure are going to be a super fun crowd of lifetime landlords.

better make sure the rent cheques are on time people. reckon these guys kill the software on the very minute its past due for the month.

Also I have to say - I just feel so warm about all these adobe reps out here listening and engaging. Its just such a warm glow.

http://www.adobe2014.tumblr.com
#adobe2014

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Richert Goyette
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:28:44 pm

Well said, Aindreas.

Rich

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:57:31 pm

I know you have good reasons for not liking CC, but that doesn't mean it needs to get personal with Adobe employees.

Todd is a highly valued member of the community. He has been selfless with contributions on his own time over the years, and he's here trying to help.

Premiere Pro CC doesn't save out CS6 project files. If someone from Adobe told Morten that it would, then that is misinformation that someone like Todd should sort out, exactly as he's offered to here.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:52:27 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Todd is a highly valued member of the community. He has been selfless with contributions on his own time over the years, and he's here trying to help."

Agreed.

[Walter Soyka] "If someone from Adobe told Morten that it would, then that is misinformation that someone like Todd should sort out, exactly as he's offered to here."

Except Todd knows damn well that no one from Adobe ever said that. Hence the use of the word "snark".

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:16:43 pm

Certainly no one from Adobe should have said that -- but as Danny has pointed out below, there has been misinformation coming from people who should know better. If Morten got misleading information from someone in support via chat or phone, for example, that should be corrected immediately.

If you assume Todd is actually trying to identify and solve a problem, it doesn't read as snarky at all. I know CC is unpopular in this crowd, but there's no reason to jump on a guy who's got nothing to do with the licensing decisions and who is actually trying to help users out.

I hope we can keep this forum about discussing ideas, not people.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:37:15 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I hope we can keep this forum about discussing ideas, not people."

I do agree.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jul 3, 2013 at 12:46:55 am

CC not popular in this growd? In any growd!
But you are right, with what you said about ideas & people.

Return to posts index

Paul King
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:35:07 pm

I have to agree

I'm not happy with a lot of issues relating to CC, but I think Todd's reply was a genuine attempt to chase down what may have been misinformation.

There has never been backwards exporting from Premiere, and for good reason based on the way the product changes each release.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:00:56 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "classy snark there Todd. well done."

Aindreas...are you suggesting that you should be the arbiter of class and tone in professional communication?

Todd asked a very specific question as he wanted a very specific answer...you read the tone into it...I don't see it. If an Adobe employee stated or even implied something that was speculative or even just wrong, Adobe needs to follow up.

If it was an Adobe employee who said this, isn't that what you'd have them do? Is it better that they allow employees to tell people anything that pops into their head?

As Adobe keeps overlapping and more tightly grouping their software applications, I do find that if you ask a question like this of various Adobe people, you just might get an answer that is well-intentioned, but specifically for the application they're most closely associated with...

"Will CC save as to CS6 compatible files?"

Photoshop person answers "Yes CC will do that."

Premiere Pro person answers "No, we're forward compatible, not backward."

Both answers are honest, but not specific enough to be accurate, as each answer is actually incorrect for the other application.

Of course Photoshop has traditionally been able to save legacy formats and Premiere Pro never has...but if you're at NAB and don't know the role or perspective of the Adobe employee you're asking, if neither one specifically breaks the question out application-by-application to answer it, and doesn't mention their specific application-of-reference to confine the scope of their answer...each user walks away with their own interpretation.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 2, 2013 at 7:38:14 pm

[Tim Kolb] "I don't see it."

well, then you're blind Tim. that reply was pure snark.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:07:25 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "[Tim Kolb] "I don't see it."

well, then you're blind Tim. that reply was pure snark.
"

Well, I'm blind too, then.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:23:30 pm

Aindreas,

There is certainly no snark intended or implied - I can certainly attest as I know Todd personally. Premiere Pro has never had a save as backward compatible feature listed or implied when we have discussed a pending release via a 'sneak peek.' If there is indeed some communication to the contrary, we would like to know in order to correct it. As others have stated previously, perpetuated misinformation only compounds discussions like this.

As Todd indicated, if this is important to you and other users, by all means please submit a feature request along with your reasons for the feature. Adobe tabulates the feedback quarterly and take it into account when planning subsequent features or releases.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:14:25 am

For whatever it's worth: I am incapable of snark, being most often compared to a robot.

As others have said, if someone is telling you the wrong information, I need to know about it so that I can fix it. That's part of my job--- making sure that the information that we're putting out about our software matches reality.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:43:32 am

[Todd Kopriva] "For whatever it's worth: I am incapable of snark, being most often compared to a robot."

Aindreas on the other hand...... :)

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:26:28 pm

fine sure - possibly its my mercurial irish nature reading snark into it.

it *is* possible to read snark into it tho.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:14:51 am

[Todd Kopriva] "For whatever it's worth: I am incapable of snark, being most often compared to a robot.
"

Oh, now I don't know. I was buying it all, but that snarkish remark proves your programers are just a few keystrokes away from having you pass the Turing Test. I realize now, with a shudder, that this whole license thing is just a diversion to keep us all off the topic of the singularity until its too late.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:22:50 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "Please tell me the details of how that promise was made to you for Premiere Pro, so that I can follow up with whoever misinformed you."

I think this impression can be traced to this posting based on a vague Adobe FAQ:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/378/109

"Creative Cloud - Some Peace of Mind Offered...
by Tim Vaughan on May 8, 2013 at 9:24:41 am

As many of you have seen, I've railed against the "cloud" as being the only option. I'm not against it as a whole, mind you, but am concerned with it as the only option. Great points have been argued, for which some have been answered. Adobe has, to its credit, eased most of my concerns according to its extensive facts on their website and via Todd, Denise, Steve, and others. (Walter B, a big shout out to you as well).

First and foremost: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

A breakdown of a few of my biggest concerns:

#1: Not owning the software.
While this is "true", it would appear that we are able to save our future projects backwards to CS6. Meaning, IF I/we decided to shut down ops or whatever crazy scenario, we could simply save our projects as a CS6 version for future useage. Also, if we don't like paying each month, the same could apply. While not 100% ideal, it does offer some peace of mind."

The referenced Adobe FAQ includes this statement:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

"Many of the Creative Cloud desktop applications provide the ability to export files to the Creative Suite 6 version of that same application. Creative Suite 6 products are available via a perpetual software license.

Adobe plans to continue to support the ability to export to Creative Suite 6 in the applications that have that capability now.

New features added to the desktop applications after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or by the Creative Suite 6 application."

Note that it doesn't limit itself to AE. It is not hard to see why first Tim and then Morten assumed that PPro was one of the "Many of the Creative Cloud desktop applications" referenced. I know I made that same assumption.

So Todd , now you know that the misinformation came from Adobe, not some anonymous nobody.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 1, 2013 at 9:57:26 pm

You can. It's called "Export-> Final Cut Pro XML".

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 1, 2013 at 10:28:30 pm

[Gary Huff] "You can. It's called "Export-> Final Cut Pro XML"."

Or File --> Export --> EDL...

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:50:50 am

In all fairness, an EDL or FCP XML are not Premiere Pro project files...they simply don't support enough features.

I think this was mentioned in some generic way in regard to Adobe applications...but Premiere Pro is one that people were quite concerned about, and I don't recall and specific applications being included or excluded from that implication.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

danny princz
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:37:01 pm

i think tim hit it on the head

there have been blanket statements made without details and some people may have taken and presumed PPr would save down to CS6.

The CC information overall in what it is, isnt, can and can not do has never been easy to understand or properly communicated and much of that has come from "adobe" and its employees itself not knowing the answers or giving wrong ones when they werent sure themselves

http://www.vimeo.com/rendernyc

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:41:02 pm

[Tim Kolb] "I think this was mentioned in some generic way in regard to Adobe applications...but Premiere Pro is one that people were quite concerned about, and I don't recall and specific applications being included or excluded from that implication."

Especially on this forum. Let's face it, Premiere Pro is the big one. We can get by on CS6 AfterEffects or Photoshop etc. However it was CC PPro that was the upgrade we were all looking at (the one being touted as a true replacement for FCP7 and such like).

To find out it had no backwards compatibility was kind of a facer. And Adobe, while never explicitly saying it would be backward compatible, implied as much by their silence on the matter when broadly stating they would include save-out to CS6 functions.

Yeah, I guess you can save to EDL or XML. Or not use it at all. But being as PPRO was the BIG upgrade, I feel Adobe was a tad disingenuous touting CS6 as a fall back, when in fact it is the program that you will have to remain tied to subscription because of its lack of CS6 compatibility.

I guess we should have seen this coming.

Return to posts index

Ron Piedrahita
on Oct 28, 2013 at 8:30:37 pm

Folks, just had 3-way call Friday, with vendor and Adobe Sales Rep. I specifically asked 2 questions:

Will migrating to Cloud in any way delete my CS 6 applications, and was told no (obviously correct). My 2nd question was if I could edit CC project in 6. Adobe rep answer was to save it to 6. This -- to me -- sounded like a save function similar to MS Word saving to earlier versions. WISH I could remember her name...

This happened Friday; spent today being disappointed, and quite frustrated. Yea, XML, EDL options are there, but that's nowhere near the same as just opening up the project.

Ron Piedrahita

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 28, 2013 at 8:37:32 pm

[Ron Piedrahita] "This happened Friday; spent today being disappointed, and quite frustrated. Yea, XML, EDL options are there, but that's nowhere near the same as just opening up the project."

Some CC applications have a specific "Save As CS6..." function (I think Photoshop has one, maybe After Effects). Premiere Pro does not. XML, EDL, AAF is still the best ways to move back to previous versions or other applications (Resolve, Smoke, Avid, etc.).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 28, 2013 at 8:50:34 pm

> Some CC applications have a specific "Save As CS6..." function (I think Photoshop has one, maybe After Effects). Premiere Pro does not.

Correct. After Effects does have the ability to save back from the CC (12.x) version to the CS6 (11.0) project file format.

Premiere Pro doesn't yet have this ability. Could you give the me the name of the Adobe person who misinformed you about this, so that I can make sure that she's properly informed? (You can email me at kopriva at adobe dot com if you'd rather not say on this forum.)

I know that the Premiere Pro team has gotten this request a lot. I can't speak for them about if/when they'll add this feature, but I can say that it's a very good idea to submit a feature request for this:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Oct 28, 2013 at 9:18:37 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "Some CC applications have a specific "Save As CS6..." function (I think Photoshop has one, maybe After Effects). Premiere Pro does not. XML, EDL, AAF is still the best ways to move back to previous versions or other applications (Resolve, Smoke, Avid, etc.).
"

Correct Premiere CC does not have this feature. As Ryan mentioned we support lots of interchange formats. Feel free to add a feature request.

Cheers

Dave

David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]