FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Encore?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
No Encore?
on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:03:16 am

I'm new around here, so will someone kindly confirm for me that there is no Encore CC and that there is actually no other way to create a Blu-ray or DVD in CC, say via Pr CC?

Thanks,
RBG

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Re: No Encore?
on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:43:40 am

I just received confirmation from Adobe tech support that this is indeed the case. There is no Encore CC. The only thing that prevents me from going into a full apoplectic fit is that apparently DVD and Blu-ray CODECSs can be output from CC and then imported into Encore CS6 which is still available. Somewhere.

I'm really hoping this is a case of Adobe simply not having the immediate time to create a dynamically linked Encore CC. But I have a sinking feeling that this is actually the political idea of some "bright" person who thinks they know what's best for our market- ala FCPX- and deciding on our behalf that we should immediately be subscribing to their future vision of media. Never mind that Blu-ray and DVD players remain ubiquitous in business and homes. Never mind that lowly common-denominator DVD remains the primary way clients prefer to present their corporate material.

So now I'm left with a subscription to a spanking modern CC and their 30+ apps, tools and services - all of which I'm sure I'll find are very lovely - but if I want to make a basic Blu-ray or DVD I need to carry everything in my pocket over to CS6.

Some future.

Hey, but I hear Pr CC can now offload to tape.

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 19, 2013 at 10:27:20 am

Official End Of Life for Encore as per Adobe FAQ

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/55741

Return to posts index

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:05:50 pm

What a disappointment. It was so gratifying to use the elegant dynamically-linked Pr - Encore CS6 CC while it lasted. A real pleasure. I'm relieved that I still have an Encore option but I feel I'm going back to my old 3rd party caveman days.

From the Encore CS6 FAQ:
"The trend in the video and broadcast industry is moving away from physical media distribution. The future is in cloud and streaming content. ...allowing users to create iPad-ready video with QuickTime chapter markers."

Hmmm, equipment manufacturers are already selling us on 4K being the future. That should look good streaming to an iPad.

Never mind that government and corporate purchasing departments still require optical discs as part of RFP responses. Cast aside that marketing clients, museums, educational institutions, the myriad military, federal, provincial (in my case) departments are all set up to make their presentations by disc.

No, just consider all the beautiful new, ubiquitous, and big HD flat screen TVs and the optical drives that power perhaps most of them and ask: Just how are clients supposed to make quality presentations to larger and small groups? On their iPads and iPhones? Hope there is an internet connection? Master video hosting? What were you thinking, Adobe?

Though I will be missing out on a time-honoured tradition, I'm going to limit my public flagellation of Adobe and attempt to reason with them directly, for whatever that's worth. Suffice for now to say that a trust has been broken here and Adobe will be viewed by me with caution.

Re CC: They almost had me there.

RBG

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 19, 2013 at 7:29:00 pm

[Rob Brandreth-Gibbs] "Never mind that government and corporate purchasing departments still require optical discs as part of RFP responses."

Optical discs aren't going away. It's the authoring that's no longer progressing. You can use Encore CS6. It's available even though developed has stopped.

[Rob Brandreth-Gibbs] "Just how are clients supposed to make quality presentations to larger and small groups? On their iPads and iPhones? "

Yes, I've done it. Walk into a meeting the 1080p video on my iPad. No Internet connection needed. Used the Apple dock to HDMI connector to the HDTV.

[Rob Brandreth-Gibbs] " What were you thinking, Adobe? "

As per their FAQ response iPad video with chapter markers. Works fine. That's what I do.
Client gets files that play on iPhone, iPad, File on Computer, Internet viewing. Hook whatever up to an HDTV. No need to have a DVD/Blu-ray player, no worry about a disc that plays in one player but not another, no disc that can get stuck in their laptop.

Return to posts index

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:21:56 pm

With that acknowledgement that optical discs still exist, I don't give a hoot that development is not progressing. The shovel is complete. It works. It digs the hole. The notion that you must "turf" the shovel because it is now complete is interesting to say the least. Leave Encore complete then, just link it dynamically so my life is make easier by Adobe, not more difficult. I promise - no complaints that some arcane new feature wasn't added for the sake of appearances. I'm forced to use Encore CS6 already.

IPad pitches sound good, but being in the video business, I rather present with full Blu-ray quality when possible. In turn, I don't necessarily want clients to buy iPads or computers to make impressive presentations - a disc is a fair bit cheaper. Don't want them to fuss with unfamiliar internet access.

I say tomato, you say tomahto. It would have been no sweat for Adobe to accommodate until the rest of the world had bought in.

Pray that 4K doesn't become a standard.

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:27:47 pm

Can Premiere CC files be dynamically linked into CS6 (whether directly or by saving back a PP project file version - can this be done?)

But honestly, while I'm not surprised by this, it is a little sad.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:53:14 pm

If you need a good prosumer level authoring app for DVD and BD, have a look at Sony's DVD Architect (PC only).
It's actually much better than Encore ever was and for DVD almost on par with DVDSP. For feature film level BD production, Encore was totally useless anway. You are looking at other tools and much higher price range in that case.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:56:29 pm

Just to counter your opinion a bit, Frank, I always had just fine results with Encore. Granted, I never did anything beyond an animated splash screen, two layers of menus, maybe 8 clips of video, and a slideshow, but it always worked predictably, and quickly. "Totally useless" covers a fair bit of ground - what were your specific issues?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:42:45 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Just to counter your opinion a bit, Frank, I always had just fine results with Encore. Granted, I never did anything beyond an animated splash screen, two layers of menus, maybe 8 clips of video, and a slideshow, but it always worked predictably, and quickly. "Totally useless" covers a fair bit of ground - what were your specific issues?"

There is no proper scripting in Encore so complex discs are impossible to accomplish.
Just at the most basic level, Encore cannot write BD masters that can be replicated. So for feature film work that's a dead end there (you could use other tools to write a BDCMF master file but not Encore itself).
Region coding doesn't work as it should, no way to implement BD-J, no low-level access to HDMV commands so a lot of "jump-back and remember previous settings or button" doesn't work properly. no 3D, no way to animate buttons or graphics menus, setting UOPs doesn't really work at all plus tons of other things that simply don't really work the way they should.
Again, it fine for basic purposes but for anything that goes into stores on replicated discs in higher volume it is not really a usable tool.
Chapest and easiest entry level tool for poper BD authoring is Sony's Dostudio Indie at 2k. It has a Java WYSIWYG menu editor build it and writes proper masters. Also, there are add ons for full-on HDMV, BD Live and 3D MVC authoring so, if you need, you can upgrade to a full blown spec-level authoring app at 20k.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:23:50 pm

Thanks Frank. Your needs from Encore are far beyond what I've ever pushed it for. As I understand you, then Encore is not a "true" authoring package, in terms of scripting. I've never had problems creating animated graphics menus, but most of what you're talking about is beyond my needs (and my technical scope).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:54:24 pm

Ur welcome. Essentially, Encore creates BDs in a similar way it creates DVDs and the same concepts for creating your menus apply. You'd create your background loop, animate your stuff there and then there are your buttons which simply highlight when you click it and that's it. And the pop-up comes on and off and that's it.
But BD can potentially do a lot more. You could have your buttons change shape, enlarge, shrink, spin, go up in flames or do whatever when one becomes selected or activated. Pop-up menus can spin, slide, fade-in and out or whatever you want it to do - all independent of the background video loop. As long as you're within the buffer limit for graphics you're free to create.
That's just the graphics side of things, tons of other stuff with java and scripting. It's a bit like Flash, you can put a movie in but around that movie you do a lot more with regards to interactivity, graphics etc.
I know, all that is really just relevant for certain markets and a certain clientele but those are usually very uncompromising in terms of encoding qualities and features and they won't accept a "can't do that".
Still, sad to see see Encore not longer being developed. I hope they keep it functional for as long as possible because, as it stands, there is currently no other DVD or BD authoring app on the Mac at all. And DVD and BD is far from dead and it won't be for many years.

------

Return to posts index

Paul King
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:54:37 pm

It's just one less cost for Adobe and a reduction in the value to CC customers.

Adobe are already showing ways that CC improves their bottom line. You have to pay the same monthly fee no matter what apps they discontinue.

Return to posts index

Ernest Ratliff
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:04:45 pm

So what is a good Mac compatible professional DVD/BD authoring solution? Burning physical media isn't going anywhere for me, and I need a proper replacement for when Encore inevitably breaks in some future OS X update.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:08:23 pm

Dave Helmly does a good job of showing how you get Encore through Creative Cloud here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2013/06/installing-premiere-cc-encore-c...

You can find that information and more in the post that Paul linked to above.

It is not that we don't see the value of Encore; rather, there wasn't any advancement to be made in this tool that supports a technology that is not advancing or changing. It would have been wrong for us to slap a 'CC' brand on an unchanged application and pretend that it was something new. So, we are continuing to make Encore CS6 available through Creative Cloud.

That said, I also find it annoying that it's only available in the Premiere Pro CS6 installer. Sorry about that. It would have been work to disentangle it from Premiere Pro, and that work would have subtracted from advancements in Premiere Pro and other video applications.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:14:16 pm

So the question is can you do dynamic link between AE, Photoshop and Encore on CC?
Because if you can't, that's more reason for me to stay on CS6

Return to posts index

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:38:42 pm

Thanks for chiming in here, Todd.

My company, Bravo Zulu Productions, is one of a small number of production companies authorized to produce larger-scale videos for the Canadian federal government.

It shocked me to find clients such as the Canadian military actually requesting output on DVD. This year. Standard def for petesake. (At the same time, we are at the forefront of their private-system internet interactive learning.)

Their rationale is that not all of their audience has yet bitten into Blu-ray and they want to k.i.s.s. They know everyone can play a DVD (even if they own a Blu-ray, of course.) This concept is true for a range of other government and corporate clients. Streaming is still too esoteric for all. Again, clients are (frustrating for me) aware that they need to "sell" to almost the lowest technical common denominator. I think I still have to limit bit rates for this reason.

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 19, 2013 at 7:36:04 pm

[Rob Brandreth-Gibbs] "Streaming is still too esoteric for all."

But they don't have to stream. You can burn a file to a disk without authoring. You can make a simple screener disc if you want. You can put an H.264 .mp4 file on the optical disc so they can copy it to whatever computer, smartphone, tablet they want. No streaming. No internet. Files can still go on optical discs. What's declining is authoring.

[Rob Brandreth-Gibbs] "aware that they need to "sell" to almost the lowest technical common denominator"

Like my 80 year old mother in law who is computer phobic, can barely use the remote on a DVD player (let's not talk about arthritis and remote buttons) but you can't pry the iPad from her hands. Tapes and icon and she shows all the family videos she wants. She carries her iPad with her every where. She doesn't need a disc that needs a player and she's certainly not going to carry a DVD player.

Return to posts index

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:51:50 pm

Just responding to Adobe's "the future is in cloud and streaming content."

I want, and seems my clients want: disk in, auto play. No purchase of iPads. No computer requirement. That is the way it is when you're trying to sell something and there is resistance. Especially if a larger audience is involved or, as you say, they're computer phobic.

Sounds like your grandmother might also be lost making a video presentation to the boardroom full of corporate execs.

Traditional disc-based video will someday be extinct. But we are nowhere near that. And Adobe should know this.

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:03:20 pm

> And Adobe should know this.

That's why we continue to make Encore available.

Even if all of the CS6 applications weren't available through Creative Cloud (which they are), we would still make Encore CS6 available. But, as it happens, that comes as an automatic consequence of Premiere Pro CS6 and other CS6 applications being available through Creative Cloud.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:13:24 pm

And for that, I am truly appreciative. Just make it easy to use like it used to be in CC.

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:15:26 pm

If you want feature work done, please submit a feature request here:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
on Jun 19, 2013 at 10:18:33 pm

Thanks much. Will do. (Though I thought that was for new features. :^)

Rob Brandreth-Gibbs
Bravo Zulu Productions
Vancouver, Canada

Return to posts index

Paul King
on Jun 20, 2013 at 12:50:25 am

Come on Todd, we both know that is BS.
Adobe software is not developed via popularity contest, we both know that.

I have seen you suggesting this on other forums (regarding the AVCHD bug with spanned clips in Premiere). It's a way of deflecting the issue and making out a bug is a feature request.

Some bugs come down to professionalism and should be fixed because they should not be there in this level of software, not because the user base hasn't screamed enough about them.

I have to do my taxes, it's par for the course. You guys have to make things work properly, you can't hind behind the "lack or resources" chestnut. If I didn't do my taxes because I dont have the resoures then I'd be shut down.

Hey, when Toyota have a bug in one of their car models, they have to do a recall, regardless of the cost or their allocation of resources.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:54:04 pm

"Hey, when Toyota have a bug in one of their car models, they have to do a recall, regardless of the cost or their allocation of resources."

So yeah, when Toyota has faulty brakes in their cars it's exactly like having an inconvenient software installation process.

Return to posts index

Scott Swingle
on Jun 20, 2013 at 7:01:43 pm

Thats a very appropriate URL in their "feature request" form. Go Wish. Indeed

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 20, 2013 at 10:29:47 pm

While I have mixed feelings about this, there are lots of third party products that might fill the gap. BUT, I agree that this seems premature. Even Sony Vegas gives me the ability to pull a DVD from inside the editor!. It's not elegant, but it does give me a way to a quick and dirty delivery if the customer needs it. I've been amazed that Sony can do this but neither FCP nor Premiere could get that done. I usually don't need a full featured DVD creation package, but do need to occassionally burn disks for clients.

So my request is to keep Encore valid, or at least take the guts of it and put it in Premiere for fast burns.

Al

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 20, 2013 at 10:42:09 pm

> So my request is to keep Encore valid

Encore CS6 still works, and there is no plan to remove it.

The reason for ceasing adding additional features isn't because there is no need for shiny discs, but because there isn't much to add to an application that is serving a technology that isn't moving forward.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 20, 2013 at 10:52:31 pm

The FAQ states that there will be no guarantee that it will work with future versions of Operating Systems. The assumption we are all making is that that means even the next rev of any OS. Once it breaks, it will force us to keep around older OS's just to burn a disk. Heck, even Sony keeps moving it's extremely primitive DVD creation tool forward, at least last time I checked. I know, it's likely to be hard to find any developers willing to work in the Encore team, but just outsource it to a team in India. They like maintaining old code over there. I've seen COBOL outsourced by banks to maintain.

(written as I burn a client DVD in Encore).

Al

Return to posts index

Harold Abbott
on Jul 13, 2013 at 12:23:24 am

If I may point out to you that, with Encore, Adobe is not serving some static "shiny disc" technology, but rather should be serving their CUSTOMERS who need Encore for their businesses. I must now make a simple business decision, based on my perception of what my customers think they need. And without Encore as part of the package, my answer is obvious. My next problem is what happens when Apple releases OS ?, and Encore CS6 no longer operates on it? I'm betting I'll find an alternative!

Return to posts index

John Mitchell
on Sep 25, 2013 at 6:32:10 am

[Todd Kopriva] "
Encore CS6 still works, and there is no plan to remove it.

The reason for ceasing adding additional features isn't because there is no need for shiny discs, but because there isn't much to add to an application that is serving a technology that isn't moving forward."

Well last time I looked BD's were still pretty popular at my local and Encore's lack of chapter based menu support for that technology was woeful.

Encore is still essential for my workflow - you can't distribute Payware video any other way at a reasonable cost. It is still the way magazines deliver bonus copyright content, and still the way a million small providers do it. I don't think Hollywood has quite given up on the "shiny" discs just yet either.

I'll put in my features request for Encore - but you may as well call "go wish" "nick off" or something even ruder. Adobe has clearly stopped development of the product so what would be the point.

A quick list of what Adobe missed over the years with Encore:
Proper BD support including the ability to create chapter based playback on menus.
No template ability - you can't template anything in Encore. Even if projects are similar you can't just replace a movie and leave links to chapters in place just awaiting a new chapter to be inserted. So basic.
The ability to switch standards on a project (eg NTSC to PAL frame rates etc)
The inability to properly judge the final size of a DVD
Numerous bugs .. too many to mention.

It's a shame because the integration with Photoshop is the one thing which made people love Encore. There is no other program out there that makes it so easy to deliver a menu..

Return to posts index

Wendilyn Emrys
on Jan 1, 2015 at 9:11:04 pm

The whole CS6 and Encore thing is BYZANTINE. We are a small production company and I want to burn some DVDs [NTSC] of our short film for FESTIVAL entries, some festivals require a hard copy instead of an ONLINE SCREENER. So, we have CC2014.... NOTHING in it can easily make a DVD screener without having to go through a bunch of BS, that is confusing, mind you they tell you to DELETE the freaking CS6, but then tell you to get templates from the CS6 for Encore. How can you do that when they told you to effing delete the CS6 first?

A DVD maker should be STANDARD when you have Premiere Pro to make movies. I don't have time to waste on the b.s. so I went out and got a free trail of Sony Architect 5.0 off of Amazon.

BTW, I have a YEARLY membershipt to CC2014... not a happy member right now.

Right now the CC2014 is like a circumcised penis, it works okay, but does not come with all the equipment some folks want on it ;)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 1, 2015 at 10:18:45 pm

Why on earth didn't you just download Encore CS6?

Return to posts index

Wendilyn Emrys
on Jan 1, 2015 at 11:04:54 pm

Followed the instructions given on CC2014. Said Encore CS6can be found in CS6 and gave detailed if confusing instructions. If you can download CS6 separately why don't they just have a freaking link?

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jun 21, 2013 at 5:20:45 am

[Todd Kopriva] "It is not that we don't see the value of Encore; rather, there wasn't any advancement to be made in this tool that supports a technology that is not advancing or changing. It would have been wrong for us to slap a 'CC' brand on an unchanged application and pretend that it was something new. So, we are continuing to make Encore CS6 available through Creative Cloud."

[Frank Gothmann] There is no proper scripting in Encore so complex discs are impossible to accomplish.
Just at the most basic level, Encore cannot write BD masters that can be replicated. So for feature film work that's a dead end there (you could use other tools to write a BDCMF master file but not Encore itself).
Region coding doesn't work as it should, no way to implement BD-J, no low-level access to HDMV commands so a lot of "jump-back and remember previous settings or button" doesn't work properly. no 3D, no way to animate buttons or graphics menus, setting UOPs doesn't really work at all plus tons of other things that simply don't really work the way they should.
Again, it fine for basic purposes but for anything that goes into stores on replicated discs in higher volume it is not really a usable tool.

Sounds like there's quite a bit that could have been improved on Todd. I have to deliver BD/DVD's often as well, alongside Tape and Digital - and my clients are almost exclusively Advertising Agencies. I have been muddling through with DVDSP and sending out for BD Authoring, but was considering Encore as a single app CC subscription. Guess that's not possible now.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:58:10 pm

Well, since Encore CS6 is still being offered, why would it not be possible? I've read the limitations of Encore by Frank Gothmann, and, having been an Encore user for a few years, haven't run into that wall of limitations. It's always worked just fine for my projects. I think that, for the price, Encore offers a lot of capability - for authoring at Frank's level, you need to spend more.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:45:48 pm

Joseph,

I need some of the features that are missing. So as they don't currently exist and there is no plan to develop the tool further, it's not going to be possible for me to consider using Encore.

This idea that high end features need to cost significantly more is not relevant anymore. We are surrounded by tools that are cost effective and supremely capable.

If Adobe doesn't want to fund development of a package that isn't selling in numbers, that's their prerogative. But to say that the technology is stagnant, when you are already feature-light is...well Apple level reality distortion.

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 22, 2013 at 4:39:07 pm

I don't know for a fact that high end features can cost significantly less, either. All I was saying was that I've been very happy with what Encore has provided for my needed feature set. You're obviously not. And Frank has said that Sony DVD Architect, which is much cheaper than Encore, does the job for him, and yet there are packages out there such as Mediator, which costs over 500 dollars. What does it add for that price that the others don't have - I don't know...

I don't recall Adobe saying that the technology was stagnant, but I do remember reading that they had decided to stop development of Encore, then suddenly it was EOL'd. While I don't like that, I'll be happy working with the CS6 version as needed (which is not very often). I'm not arguing with you, I'm just saying that what's feature-rich for one person, may well be feature-light for another. I see tons of DVD "authoring" packages out there for free, but I honestly don't know which ones might or might not do the trick, since everyone's needs are different. What I love about Encore is the ability to develop my DVD graphic design in Photoshop, with layers tagged as to what they will be in Encore, then have it import into Encore ready to roll, except for the function assignments. It saves me a lot of time.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jun 22, 2013 at 5:47:03 pm

I am trying to figure out how to approach CC. Currently I own a CS5 license for PS and AI, and don't find them lacking in anyway. My thought was that if Encore was workable for me then I could stop sending money out to my outside vendor for BD Authoring and keep it in-house.

So if Encore worked the way I needed it to, then paying $29 for access to Encore and Story (which I really really like) would be good value for me.

That's where I'm coming from.

Re: High-end features: You can get AE for $20 a month, Smoke for under 4k, Resolve for $999. So that was my point. Coming back to Encore, if you want to author feature level BD's then yes, you need a special pipeline, but there is a mid level that also needs to be serviced, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have the chops for that.

Which is a pity, as based on what you say, PS seems to integrate well with it.

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 22, 2013 at 6:42:48 pm

I'm also ambivalent about CC, since I own CS6 Master Collection, plus a CS4 license of Production Premium. I really love the way Encore works with Photoshop - if you have a moment, take a look at this:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/cs/using/WS2C3F3ABD-6457-4ca0-898F-720B7...

...and scroll down to Layer Name Prefixes for Menus. You can create an entire menu structure which will drop in to Encore, ready to use. The first time I tried it I was quite amazed. It's a simple matter of using (+>) for Next Button, (+<) for Previous Button, and a bunch of other tags that make the work easy in Encore.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jun 22, 2013 at 7:25:43 pm

Yes that is nice. Thanks for sharing.

Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Lee Fleetwood
on Aug 14, 2013 at 10:46:24 pm

What is Adobe smoking? So far, all I see is unacceptable excuses for not having Encore linked to PP CC. The rant from Adobe about no new feature in Encore has nothing to do with the reality of video professionals needing to work in PP and author in Encore. This nonsense is what I was afraid of when we were forced to buy into CC. I hope Adobe will fix this soon.

Return to posts index

Trevor Harris
on Apr 19, 2014 at 2:18:14 pm

I had not realised until quite recently that Encore development had stopped. At one point Adobe argued that BLU-ray development had stopped. That is not true. We now have 3D and I expect 4k spec soon.

All my video is 3D now. I do edit in premiere pro with cineform but I have to use Vegas Pro and DVD Architect pro to produce 3D Blu-rays.

Encore still has some serious bugs which need fixing. Some of these bugs are easy to fix.

So it would be nice if Adobe kept up with the specs but even more importent to fix the bugs.

Adobe should also abandon the subscription only policy.

Return to posts index

Justin Hawley
on Apr 30, 2014 at 6:09:06 pm

That argument is ridiculous. There is not advancement with the mouse either, but that doesn't mean you end support for it.

I have not seen ANYONE on here is suggesting that you "advance" Encore in any way. We just want the simple, existing option to export the timeline from PPro CC to Encore! The workaround that exists is NOT acceptable to me, or apparently most people..

No one with half a brain will believe that Adobe can't allow us to export from PPro CC to Encore because it's not fair to us to link to a product that isn't "advancing". It is a slap to the face, and an insult to our intelligence.

What is incredibly unfair is having clients that DEMAND DVDs (I'll be happy to give you their numbers so you can try to "convince" them of newer technology, but BELIEVE me, I've TRIED), and yet not being able to do what should be a simple, demonstrated task that became an essential part of my workflow. I have a hard time believing it isn't an incredibly simple thing to re-implement, and I would ask that you do so.

I won't fill out a "wish list", but I will be heard. So pass this on to whoever at your corporation will listen: Get your stuff together. You're not Microsoft. You don't take away functionality and call it a new and improved product. You are better than that, and your long-time (I've been with you for nearly 2 decades, spending tens of thousands of dollars) customers deserve better.

VERY sincerely,
Justin Hawley
Advanced Video Tactics

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 30, 2014 at 6:41:25 pm

[Justin Hawley] "I won't fill out a "wish list", but I will be heard."

If you want to be heard, you should know that the "wish list" form you don't want to fill out is actually a direct line to the developers.

Filling out a bug report or filing a feature request through that form creates a database entry and sends an email to an engineer for the product you selected. A real live person reads every single one. They are tracked and discussed. It's really the best way to get your opinion to the people you want to reach -- much better than a third-party Internet forum.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Justin Hawley
on Apr 30, 2014 at 8:14:33 pm

Funny stance, considering I've filled them out in the past and never heard from them or seen anything happen, but at least here get a real person from Adobe to respond on this forum. They read and respond on Creative Cow like crazy, as is evidenced in this very thread.

Nevertheless, I changed my mind and submitted it to the wish list as well. But I will continue to levy my concerns here because at least here I KNOW they read it.

Justin.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 30, 2014 at 8:22:52 pm
Last Edited By Todd Kopriva on Apr 30, 2014 at 8:24:19 pm

> never heard from them or seen anything happen

Regarding never hearing anything: We don't respond to every individual feature request. That is unnecessary and would take too much time.

Regarding never seeing anything happen: We implement the features largely based on which get the most requests. And we comment at least annually on them, like here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/12/top-after-effects-feature-reque...

As Walter said, the feature requests do all get read. In fact, for After Effects, every feature request goes directly to _my_ email inbox.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 30, 2014 at 8:28:50 pm

[Justin Hawley] "Funny stance, considering I've filled them out in the past and never heard from them or seen anything happen, but at least here get a real person from Adobe to respond on this forum. They read and respond on Creative Cow like crazy, as is evidenced in this very thread."

I'm just trying to help you by pointing you in the right direction.

I would have liked to have seen Encore CC, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Robert Dickie
on Nov 25, 2014 at 1:09:46 pm
Last Edited By Robert Dickie on Nov 25, 2014 at 6:03:04 pm

The removal of Encore is surprising!
There must be encoding fees and Adobe are trying to minimise this
Even if the disc market is diminishing how about trying to modify Encore to provide a cloud menu system instead of a bulk video download with only chapter navigation..its a no brainer
or how about an export to phone option or web view option outside of flash
With so many people still using it
Whats the story ..
Robert Dickie
Digital Video Team

Return to posts index

Isaac Watson
on Dec 17, 2014 at 3:52:07 pm

I'm in government work, and we still deliver DVDs to clients (we just bought ourselves a Blu-Ray burner for backup archiving purposes), so I'm highly disappointed that there is no support for this wonderful program. We work on Macs, and when I try and open Encore CS6 (which I installed through CC), it gives me a message that reads: "You can't open the application 'Adobe Encore CS6' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

So, Adobe's response that indicates "you can still use Encore CS6" is utter BS to me. We can't use it here, because of some sort of compatibility problem. Now we have nothing like Encore to author DVDs and Blu-Rays. We're stuck with a really simplified program called "Toaster" that doesn't have any of the features Encore does.

I would love it if Adobe just simply created a compatible version of Encore and separated the install from Premiere Pro CS6 and called it a day. I don't even need any new features. I just want a program that works on my Mac.

Return to posts index

David Goodwin
on Mar 19, 2015 at 11:54:25 am

I find sending video files digitally just about impossible as most email system cannot send them and uploading to cloud servers takes forever. Uploading to YouTube can vary from 10 mins to 10 years. I wanted to build custom DVDs with nice menus etc. Encore CS6 is incompatible with Photoshop CC 2014.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]