FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to run Lion or Mountain Lion on a Mac for CC

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Wardlow
Need to run Lion or Mountain Lion on a Mac for CC
on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:27:00 pm

Hmmmmm. You need to run Lion or Mountain Lion if you want to upgrade to new CC programs.

For various reasons (which I will not go into here) I have kept my current imac frozen in Snow Leopard. I see, to take advantage of CC, I would have to upgrade to at least Lion.

So, even though I am a cloud member, I will not be able to upgrade yet. My original plan was to keep my current imac frozen in Snow Leopard and purchase a mac pro (or new imac if I am priced out of the pro route) later in the year. I wonder if others are in this boat?

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
Re: Need to run Lion or Mountain Lion on a Mac for CC
on Jun 18, 2013 at 9:32:53 pm

Don't bother with Lion. Mt. Lion is more stable with Premiere. I have 10.6.8 and 10.8.3 boots in my Mac Pro. But I still prefer 10.6.8. Sorry you are having to pay with no access. I don't need to say CS6 runs on both.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:02:42 am

One of the main reasons that we recommend Mountain Lion even for CS6 programs is that the OS handles GPU acceleration with OpenCL much better, and Nvidia's CUDA also is better developed and tested for this OS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:20:59 am

Well, one of the main reasons I want to keep this machine locked in Snow Leopard is because it is the last OSX with Rosetta. When I switched to the imac, I ported over some old programs from my G5. I still want to keep them.

I have had some bad luck with partitioned drives and don't want to create two boot drives. It is not a total loss CC wise. I have a licensed copy of CS5.5, so the cloud still provides CS6.

Just a tad disappointed that I will not be able to run the new Premiere Pro as of yet. But I will live. Not sure I will continue with CC once my special monthly rate is over anyway.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 19, 2013 at 9:31:07 am

I still use some Rosetta apps. Mac Pro with multiple boots. A time machine.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:20:11 pm

I just created an account to try the new AE CC. Downloaded fine and installed fine
This is a Mountain Lion rig with FCPX installed.

Now, forgive me but I don't quite perform AE installs at all.
What I found strange is the Adobe's requirements for Mac OS.
They say you need to install QT software 7.6.6 - which is for Snow Leopard (?)
Well, I went ahead and installed AE CC without installing QT and it's working.
I wonder if this requirement for QT is a legacy of some sort? Is it for older codecs?

Anyway, I kicked the tires and I liked it, was curious how was C4D integration.
All seems perfectly fine, but what I found missing is the ability to get a hint of the C4D object in AE.
I mean, when you're positioning the camera, keyframing and watching it on other camera views.
It would be nice to get a placeholder there, but nothing that hitting ESC repeatedly won't solve really.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:21:56 pm

To get from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion you will have to upgrade Snow Leopard to its very last (most recent) version before it will upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]