FORUMS: list search recent posts

well hello whats all this?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
well hello whats all this?
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:58:43 pm

http://photorumors.com/2013/06/16/adobe-is-considering-new-pricing-models-f...

if true and not just internet vapours, the photoshop guys catch a major break - and we get kind of a buy out - although,er, we get given CS6 after three years... which, you know, I kind of have already there guys...

still - three years locked in at $29.99 isn't bad really. If true this does actually indicate some movement from adobe - which is, lets be fair, pretty welcome at this point.

On a more basic level - given that, for the offer to function, your files generated over the 36 months will need to be openable in CS6 (is that a word?) this more or less means that those three years are a safe bet, for an existing CS6 owner.... except for premiere I guess? They haven't gone near CS6 PPro compatibility - but I kind of could imagine some problems there given the timeline patching revamp and lumetri and stuff.

interesting tho - if true adobe are at least looking at ways to resolve the situation and allay customer fears. Because at this point Adobe have some really serious mistrust/customer fear problems to address.

also, and this really doesn't need saying - but given this news, really no one should sign up for the current CC terms until adobe come out with a new formally revised offering. that would be silly.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: well hello whats all this?
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:14:00 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "if true and not just internet vapours, the photoshop guys catch a major break - and we get kind of a buy out - although,er, we get given CS6 after three years... which, you know, I kind of have already there guys..."

Umm, I have that too. It's a good start but not enough.

CC loyalty buy out? It's a simple change to DRM policy. Technically trivial. Let's keep pushing for it.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:38:41 pm

true - but the sense of control and safety meter did creep up a little there off the flatline its been sitting on since may.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:16:22 pm

What do they mean by a promise to continually update CS6 to support future file? Could it mean cs7 being called cs6? and for that matter all the next versions?

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:26:16 pm

I think for those that have a hard copy of CS6 you're assured that as long as you save a CS6 version of your CC work you will be able to open it if you're no longer a CC subscriber.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:28:55 pm

So whats the use if the cc has options not available in cs6 you wont be able save nothing.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 17, 2013 at 7:00:35 pm

Illustrator has had this feature for over a decade - you choose the version compatibility you want - of course there will be features that won't be backward compatible, every new version of any app should have features compelling enough to create the desire to upgrade.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jun 17, 2013 at 7:20:09 pm

That´s because illustrator is mostly eps (post-script) format.
That´s not such a great problem as with other Apps,
InDesign was never downsave-able even one version below directly (for example).
Regarding to Adobe CashCow Specs - PREM (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html) is not down save able today.
And no guaranty for the future for the other apps.
How will they manage new features, or PlugIns you bought for CC???

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:37:29 pm

yes, and I think adobe mean it when they say it. Although they never mention PPro - that said, if I get on this wagon - there is no way I'm going back to PPro 6.

I have a bad, bad hunger for PPro 7. Still - not moving until adobe come out with whatever compromise they decide on after they research this.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:45:43 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I have a bad, bad hunger for PPro 7. Still - not moving until adobe come out with whatever compromise they decide on after they research this.
"

Will you download the trial, or do you think that might soften your resolve?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:48:13 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I have a bad, bad hunger for PPro 7. Still - not moving until adobe come out with whatever compromise they decide on after they research this."

Me too. But I want more than (CS6 which I already own) after three years. Would you go for this $29.95/month deal if it's real?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:10:26 pm

thats suddenly a pretty damn good deal - it now exactly matches my hypothetical 350 dollars every 12 months upgrade cycle for Prod. premium. I'm not mad keen on the crazy web stuff - but indesign I could use over the second half of this year (I've got to help layout and design a template magazine god help me), and I also get behance, worth 100 bucks a year, for three years, free - and I would immediately put my portfolio there, re-directing my web URL, which you can with the pro behance, then I would rent out my 20GB online locker to a poor latvian family looking to store their family photos and make a bit of coin there too.

The three year locked in deal looks good in short - and they would seem to be - if any of this rumour is true - committing to you being able to jump to a copy of CS6 at the three year mark.

If adobe are on the level - and they are going to work hard to keep that software functional - that they publicly commit to it - then that's your fall back - say for five years at any rate - they make sure you can collapse back to CS6 for five years say. Thats not completely unreasonable - I always figured they might conceivably have a real problem just handing over the absolutely latest version of the software to you, even after five years. If they are on the level about keeping CS6 afloat and compatible, with it being the loyalty buyout in effect - its not the worst. Fine I already have it - but it makes that software a decent security ring for quite a while.

Adobe are committing to go through 3 OSX revs with it - they'll need to tinker with it almost certainly to get it through three revs. thats a pretty solid commitment.
either way - if this is the way they go CS6 becomes the carrot for first time signers without software (excuse me I get CS6 master given to me after 900 bucks?)

and again - aslong as adobe give that sense of security - and multi-year price planning - then everyone will roll to a new three year subscription. presumably - although this is a ways off, at that point they maybe would look to give deprecated software at the second three year pitstop?

Or maybe nothing at the link is on the level... so there's that.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:47:41 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "The three year locked in deal looks good in short - and they would seem to be - if any of this rumour is true - committing to you being able to jump to a copy of CS6 at the three year mark."

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Adobe are committing to go through 3 OSX revs with it - they'll need to tinker with it almost certainly to get it through three revs. thats a pretty solid commitment."

Where did you read that they've committed to three OSX revs? AFAIK, they've only committed to one.

Here's another thought - what if they're planning to EOL CS6 in three years? Based on past behavior, I would not put that past them. Also, still no word on Pr and AE compatibility with CS6. Is it still a good deal?

Price isn't my biggest concern. I'm not interested in lifelong DRM lock-in no matter how cheap. Let's hear how Adobe plans to address future file access before we get too excited. Eyes on the prize.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:52:53 pm

[David Lawrence] "Also, still no word on Pr and AE compatibility with CS6."

After Effects CC can save down to CS6 -- though of course new CC features used in the project won't work in CS6.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:56:34 pm

[Walter Soyka] "After Effects CC can save down to CS6 -- though of course new CC features used in the project won't work in CS6."

Neither will dynamic link. I see CS6 fallback as a half-measure at best. Better than nothing but not as good as a frozen copy at the current release state. This is all about DRM policy and is really easy for Adobe to fix if they want to.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 17, 2013 at 7:05:17 pm

[Walter Soyka] "though of course new CC features used in the project won't work in CS6.
"

Which, If Adobe keep adding the new features as they are promising, means having CS6 to open your old projects with could be a complete waste of time

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 17, 2013 at 7:30:42 pm

[Steve Connor] "Which, If Adobe keep adding the new features as they are promising, means having CS6 to open your old projects with could be a complete waste of time"

This. ^

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 17, 2013 at 8:46:47 pm

Exactly - if the new suite is as good as I hope I'll never have a need to open anything I create in any of the apps in an older version. I don't do this now with any software why would I start now?

Eventually the entire app world is gonna go download only and if the subscription model succeeds, probably others will follow suit. If subscription model fails miserably, we'll see new purchase options pretty quickly, but the days of buying a big box filled with discs and manuals are over.

For now, I'll take the subscription model if it means always having the latest features without having to wait for some lame NAB/IBC update cycle.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jun 17, 2013 at 7:11:09 pm

The Adobe CashCow Product Specs:

Which CC applications support export to CS6?

The following applications support the ability to export to the CS6 version of the application:
Photoshop
InDesign®
Illustrator
Flash® Professional
Dreamweaver®
After Effects®
Applications not listed here may not support exporting to Creative Suite 6, and may not do so in future releases.
New features added to the above list after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or by the Creative Suite 6 application.

So there is no written guaranty from Adobe, that this "save down" ability will be available in future.
Also it is impossible to save down new functionalities like the cinema 4d bridge to older projects (as they are still missing there).
So I wonder, how that should work in three years? That sounds, as if they want to guaranty full editable support of saving down, they also have to modify CS6 in a way, that it can handle new features!?

BtW: Anything else, than leaving cloud with the software frozen at this point seems not fair (I wouldn´t accept as a user).
For me it´s stil out of interesst. They can change to what ever they want to.
Lost their face and trust and I´m already investing time and money in alternatives.
Only Photoshop is not replaceable for me (for the moment), 100% satisfying.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:14:09 pm

The company recently sent out a survey to a selected users about the Creative Cloud, specifically about a new pricing structure of $9.99 for Photoshop or $29.99 for the entire suite on a 3 years contract which includes a permanent copy of CS6 after 3 years

$10.00 x 36 = $360 vs $699 for CS6 Photoshop(today).
The pricing structure is pretty good(actually seems too good), but for 3 years, Adobe needs to be offering a buyout of the product as is developed. IMO, though, what they really need to do is adopt the autodesk model, you buy your product, you lease/rent/subscribe/get extorted and when you feel you have what you need, you opt out with the product as it's been fully developed to that point.

We're running a lot of licenses at our facility and in a system like I described, we'd probably continue down the road with Adobe, but the CC hasn't won over anyone here.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:38:06 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I have a bad, bad hunger for PPro 7. Still - not moving until adobe come out with whatever compromise they decide on after they research this."

Ditto.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:49:02 pm

...and here I thought this was mostly about having access to your project files if for some reason you can no longer rent Creative Cloud. Silly me.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 17, 2013 at 7:02:58 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "...and here I thought this was mostly about having access to your project files if for some reason you can no longer rent Creative Cloud. Silly me."

Depends on what they mean by having CS6 open your project files from the future, doesn't it?

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Jun 18, 2013 at 1:47:02 am

[Dave LaRonde] "..and here I thought this was mostly about having access to your project files if for some reason you can no longer rent Creative Cloud. Silly me.
"

Seems like Adobe may have found the sweet spot that makes conviction evaporate.

Will all those opposed to CC now roll over? Silly me as well...

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 17, 2013 at 7:06:23 pm

I feel the same about 7 - I've had little use or love for Premiere Pro 6 though I use AE and Photoshop all the time and I've been paying monthly since last August.

The new Premiere appears to finally include the day to day missing features I depended on in FCP7 plus big improvements to audio and color timing. I don't really care about backward compatibility because I'd never use CS6 again.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 17, 2013 at 8:09:00 pm

Ye I want cs7 (or whatever) madly but will not even consider downloading the trial. Why would I want to work on something that will hijack my files, besides I don't want to give adobe any hope that they are getting close to the goal.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

david aretsky
on Jun 19, 2013 at 11:33:36 pm

When Adobe agrees to give us the version wherever it is in the development cycle at the time your 3 years are up i will consider "renting" from them.
I want the buyout option. Until then they will get no more of my money.
This whole thing sets a bad precedent and I do not want them to be successful "renting" software or everyone will jump on the bandwagon.
If they insist on this model then they should go out of business as their customers go elsewhere.
Too bad as they make good software.

dangerd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]