FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe releases Lightroom 5

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Andonian
Adobe releases Lightroom 5
on Jun 13, 2013 at 2:59:29 am

Amidst all the excitement over the new Mac Pro, the official release of the last creative app made by Adobe that can be purchased perpetually went largely unnoticed:

http://www.cnet.com.au/adobe-releases-lightroom-5-inside-and-out-of-creativ...

I'm still not sure what it is about Lightroom that allowed it to escape the Creative Cloud tractor beam, but it's nice to see there's still SOMETHING from Adobe that we can actually buy.

Greg Andonian, a.k.a. Derek

adobe2014.tumblr.com

#adobe2014

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
Re: Adobe releases Lightroom 5
on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:58:00 am

Even though I'm fully committed to Aperture!

http://www.adobe2014.tumblr.com
#adobe2014

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 13, 2013 at 4:37:06 am

Is it available on the Mac App Store yet?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jun 13, 2013 at 4:57:03 am

So what are the main differences between Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop? Do we need that many photo editing apps?

ronpesteshdvideo.com
JVC GY-HM600
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium
MacBook Pro
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 13, 2013 at 5:34:35 am

Aperture and Lightroom are photo management and enhancement tools mainly - Photoshop is an editing and design tool with much deeper feature set than the others.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 13, 2013 at 5:35:31 am

Lightroom is not really a photo editing app, per se.

It's designed to process groups of photos. It lets the user import, judge, rate, sort, remove and do a very limited set of common repair and improvements to large arrays of photos really efficiently.

Unlike Photoshop, it's NOT a full featured single photo retouching program.

It has solid basic tools for exposure and white balance compensation. Some limited image cloning and retouching to fix common problems (like a smart and quick "blemish" retouching tool) and then lets you export resulting selects to the web or selects folders rapidly.

Lots of commercial photographers use it because it's a great tool for taking a shoot that might generate 100s of shots - and turn it around into client selects quickly and easily.

It fall way short of the comprehensive retouching tools that Photoshop has - but it'sa better tool for the semi-automated processing of large groups of photos.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 13, 2013 at 12:33:35 pm

I think you are selling Lightroom's capabilities a little short. In both Aperture and Lightroom you can do the functions:
Retouch
Color correct
Color stylize
Dodge and burn
Scale
Crop
Rotate/straighten
Geometry correction
Vignette

Some of these tools can be applied within masked areas.

In addition, both also take in plug-ins, including Magic Bullet Looks, Tiffen Dfx, DFT FilmStocks, DFT PhotoCopy and more.

Photoshop is better for drawing, 3D perspective adjustements, extensive design, artistic manipulation of the image, layer-based effects, added text, logos, etc.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:09:09 am

Probably fair.

Then again, I've never heard anyone say that they're leaving Photoshop to do more work in Lightroom - yet nearly every single person I know who works with both (myself included) does that regularly.

You start in Lightroom because of what it does so well - and if it fails to let you do what you need, you call up Photoshop from within it - as Adobe clearly intended.

That does not diminish Lightroom. Just indicates that it has a different focus. And I think it's fair to say that the difference is that Lightroom is a tool for working on a set of photographs - where Photoshop is designed to perfect or composite things into a SINGLE photo at a time.

That's how I see them anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 14, 2013 at 12:15:27 pm

Agreed. Compositing is the key. I don't see that as a standard photographic function, I guess. I see that as a design tool. It's completely possible to do everything you need to retouch and improve photographs in a realistic fashion within Lightroom or Aperture without ever going to Photoshop. I see these tools as digital development or dark room applications, whereas I don't view Photoshop in the same way. Of course, it's nice to have both and Photoshop works nicely in tandem with either photo application.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:17:20 pm

Lightroom can do a pretty large spectrum of effects, editing, a low-level manipulation that suffices for most photography work, including professionals. It does this by manipulating/interpreting the RAW data and, unlike photoshop, cannot conjure up image elements out of nothing. This is why using lightroom instead of photoshop can invoke a certain sense of purity for photographers. No matter how much the image has been "developed" it is still all derived from the image itself.

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on Jun 13, 2013 at 2:43:09 pm

LIghtroom was never part of the Master Collection, which is why it's still sold separately. It's still offered as one of the Creative Cloud apps as something of a bonus.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:26:35 pm

Ok, thanks for all the explanations. Great insight from all of you.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
JVC GY-HM600
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium
MacBook Pro
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:46:49 pm

Brandon,

I've heard that argument before, but I can still by a perpetual license for Acrobat. That was certainly part of the Creative Suite?

JT

JT

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:13:36 pm

Acrobat was always "different"; it was included in the Creative Suite, but it always kept its own numbering scheme and was always on its own release schedule separate from the (rest of the) Creative Suite ()the last two Acrobats came out in fall, while CS was updated in spring).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]