FORUMS: list search recent posts

This new Mac proves that Apple is commited to fcpx /motion

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
This new Mac proves that Apple is commited to fcpx /motion
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:17:27 am

Having such closed specks can only mean they want their own enviornment for their pros. imop that is.

I guess it will make fcpx a good alternative to the cc.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: This new Mac proves that Apple is commited to fcpx /motion
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:10:39 am

[Ricardo Marty] "Having such closed specks can only mean they want their own enviornment for their pros. imop that is."

What is closed about it? Seriously. It's got 2x ridiculously fast workstation GPU's. User upgradeable RAM and SSD. We don't know if you can change GPU's or CPU, but it opens up, so someone will figure it out even if it's not "easy". What did you expect them to come out with? I'm pretty sure that any apps that run on OS X, from *any* company, will scream on this machine.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:11:37 pm

I think that thing looks great. the blackmagic dudes are saying they are mental machines. Dual GPUs out of the box?
And, I mean come on, look at the design for God's sake? that thing is supposed to be on picards enterprise - along with the shagging ipads.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:25:07 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "And, I mean come on, look at the design for God's sake? that thing is supposed to be on picards enterprise - along with the shagging ipads."

It may not looks so pretty once it is tethered to a gazillion square thuderbolt boxes with miles of spaghetti cable attached.

But hey, you get the same thing with an imac. On my desk, my beautifully aesthetic imac looks like a Frank Lloyd Wright building sitting in the middle of a trailer park with all the boxes I have attached to it.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:25:52 pm

[Clint Wardlow] " looks like a Frank Lloyd Wright building sitting in the middle of a trailer park with all the boxes I have attached to it."

ha! nice line.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:17:35 pm

[Charlie Austin] " I'm pretty sure that any apps that run on OS X, from *any* company, will scream on this machine."

I am kind of curious how Adobe's mercury engine will perform ie no support for Nvidia cards. However, since I am working on an 2010 imac, I don't get that anyway.

I can see how some might not like its closed architecture, but for a guy like me it looks like a pretty screaming machine. I was a little worried when it first came out and the talk of "expandable only through Thunderbolt." I envisioned ram hardwired to the motherboard. But upgradable ram and flash drives makes me very happy.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:24:23 pm

We have premiere pro CC stats straight from AMD - the mac pro kills everything

http://www.fireprographics.com/adobe/

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:39:46 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "We have premiere pro CC stats straight from AMD - the mac pro kills everything"

The K2000 is only a mid level graphics card...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/workstation-solutions.html

Also meant to add that you can get the same GPUs and CPUs
on a PC... so how does this machine "kill everything"? Especially when you can get dual and Quad Xeon configurations on the Windows/Linux side?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:13:49 pm

because its like, more better - I barely know what I'm talking about here if I'm honest. I just keep going to that apple info page with the animations of it opening up and going oooooooooo.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:28:52 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "because its like, more better - I barely know what I'm talking about here if I'm honest. I just keep going to that apple info page with the animations of it opening up and going oooooooooo."

lol - okay, fair enough. Sounds like you're talking about the 'wow' factor... personally, I don't see it. But I understand that others are excited by this. Hopefully it will land in your lap sooner than expected. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:08:35 pm

god no, I'm not buying the thing. I'm a cheapskate me. It's like my grandfather always said - "don't spend more than about two and a half grand. you're not cutting 4K. Keep the bill around two grand ideally."

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 11, 2013 at 8:06:03 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "god no, I'm not buying the thing. I'm a cheapskate me. It's like my grandfather always said - "don't spend more than about two and a half grand. you're not cutting 4K. Keep the bill around two grand ideally.""

Ha ha ha, wise advice indeed. If I win one in a raffle, I'll send it your way. ;-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 12, 2013 at 10:14:41 am

[Shawn Miller] "lol - okay, fair enough. Sounds like you're talking about the 'wow' factor... personally, I don't see it. But I understand that others are excited by this. Hopefully it will land in your lap sooner than expected. :-)
"

It is the ultimate in rounded corners. It out Jobs Jobs. It is not the Cube. It is the Tube.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:12:39 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "I am kind of curious how Adobe's mercury engine will perform ie no support for Nvidia cards. However, since I am working on an 2010 imac, I don't get that anyway."

HI Clint,
In case you weren't aware, the Mercury Playback Engine hardware acceleration works with both supported AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:28:16 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "HI Clint,
In case you weren't aware, the Mercury Playback Engine hardware acceleration works with both supported AMD and NVIDIA GPUs."

Thanks, Kevin.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:02:02 pm

With the announcement of a new fcpx latter this year with the new mac pro i wonder if apple timed this to screw adobes cc?

IMOP it has, I am looking forward with the possibility of jumping into apple sooner than latter, a jump from the cloud will be to risky.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:09:58 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "With the announcement of a new fcpx latter this year with the new mac pro i wonder if apple timed this to screw adobes cc?"

I don't buy into the conspiracy theory. WWDC was a great place to preview the new hardware, and the components this new Mac Pro will use are not yet commercially available, but will be later this year. An update to FCPX to go along with the new hardware also makes sense.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:16:10 pm

You know Imop many people will wait for the new macpro and fcpx rather than subscribe to cc and later have to discontinue the subscription midway at least us mortals will. so this indeed can lower adobes 1.2 million cc users by the end of 2013.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:23:55 pm

[Ricardo Marty] "You know Imop many people will wait for the new macpro and fcpx rather than subscribe to cc and later have to discontinue the subscription midway at least us mortals will. so this indeed can lower adobes 1.2 million cc users by the end of 2013."

This new machine will be well-used by Premiere Pro, too, since Pr is heavily multi-threaded and CC is capable of exploiting multiple GPUs.

I pick my software based on my creative needs, and I pick my hardware based on my software. If FCPX is best for you, go for it. It's a nice app.

I just don't think Apple is in some kind of chess game to out-maneuver Adobe. They're on their own schedule with the new Mac Pros and FCPX. Apple and Adobe may compete in some areas, but I think that overall they cooperate much more. Apple would rather see you buying a Mac to run Pr and not FCPX than see you buy a PC to run Pr and not FCPX.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:55:40 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I pick my software based on my creative needs, and I pick my hardware based on my software. "

As it should be. The conspiracy theorists on both sides of the Creative Cloud divide are way off base.

Apple wants you to buy their products regardless of the software you choose to run on them. Why else promote Boot Camp?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:10:47 pm

[Ridley Walker] "Apple wants you to buy their products regardless of the software you choose to run on them. Why else promote Boot Camp?"

Exactly, Apple keeps the lights on by selling hardware. The software and services are incentives to buy their hardware instead of a competitors'.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:05:22 am

I am sure you guys are right up to a point. However I belive apple would want all editors tro use not only its hardware but its software also. Boot camp is mostly for apps that are not available in apple. Wich is most of the software out there.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:24:04 am

I don't think there was an intentional desire on Apple's part to stick it to Adobe with this machine and the timing of the announcement. WWDC was scheduled far ahead of the CC change. But I do think it makes FCPX/Motion a much more attractive option for those who don't like the idea of renting their software. It also shows that Apple was serious when they said they were not abandoning the pros. They spoke of what sounded like a major new release of FCPX when this puppy ships. As an Apple based pro I welcome this machine. That being said, this thing looks like it could run any software I want to use VERY quickly.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Derek Andonian
on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:01:41 am

Just because a company is committed to something, doesn't make it a good solution.

Adobe is EXTREMELY COMMITTED to Creative Cloud- And we all saw how that worked out. ;)

Greg Andonian, a.k.a. Derek

adobe2014.tumblr.com

#adobe2014

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]