FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not Getting on the Creative Cloud Merry Go Round

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
Not Getting on the Creative Cloud Merry Go Round
on May 6, 2013 at 7:59:32 pm

Adobe made my upgrade decision very easy. No thanks. Guess you have gotten my last dollar. I've been a customer of your software from the beginning, but this move to subscription only is unconscionable. A money grab. This is how drug dealers operate. "The first one's free!" Or 29.99. One year goes by quickly. Think about $50/month for the rest of your career. Or you lose access to your most important asset. Your body of work. If you do ever jump to "Creative" Cloud, no backward compatibility with the rest of your files unless you convert those as well. Then you are stuck on the Adobe gravy train. Tied to the web and Activation Hell.

There are going to be a lot of people not doing this, or who will quickly tire of it. Then what do they do? Stuck in Incompatibility Land. Creative Cloud only makes any sense at all for larger facilities. The economic model certainly doesn't work for the one man shop. Really sad. I was looking forward to the upgrade to Production Premium that would work for as long as I own my computer and want to do video. I don't need the other software. This model may make your income stream predictable, but is certainly doesn't do that for my business. The Bean Counters have won. Adobe, you almost had me. Once again, no thanks...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Not Getting on the Creative Cloud Merry Go Round
on May 6, 2013 at 8:07:01 pm

I love how everyone has to start a new thread to say their piece rather than joining in with the other threads. There's three or four other threads already with folks discussing the Cloud.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 6, 2013 at 8:13:35 pm

Sorry, Walter. "Chopped Liver" just didn't describe my feelings.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 6, 2013 at 8:38:14 pm

Not falling for the scheme either. Will use my cs6 till something better with a perpetul lic. shows up.

Richard

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on May 6, 2013 at 8:44:25 pm

Le them know:

Shantanu Narayen - CEO

snarayen@adobe.com

Telephone
408-536-6000

Company Twitter
@adobe

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on May 6, 2013 at 8:54:39 pm

Now you not only dont own the software you pay double to use, you dont own your content becase you got to pay to see and use if you no longer want to be leashed, but you will for life.

Richard

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on May 6, 2013 at 9:00:31 pm

And what happens when they realize they can continue the money-grabs and start making users commit to two or three year agreements for the current pricing?

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on May 6, 2013 at 9:16:44 pm

Unless Google or Apple buy Adobe for patents and kill off some of the products. Then you will never be able to open your work again.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Not Getting on the Creative Cloud - Answer is LWKS
on May 6, 2013 at 9:33:26 pm

Lightworks is coming for Mac this fall. Yes, they do charge 60 bucks per year, but heck that just goes to cover their own expenses for licensing; OMF, ProRes, DnX etc...

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
Re: Not Getting on the Creative Cloud - Answer is LWKS
on May 6, 2013 at 9:41:04 pm

Already evaluating the Linux beta!

Blender has some amazing compositing tools too (node-based!).

--

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 7, 2013 at 4:51:39 am

[James Taylor] "Unless Google or Apple buy Adobe for patents and kill off some of the products. Then you will never be able to open your work again.
"

Try using xml or aff

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 4:56:18 am

Have you tried opening a PrP project with a dynamically linked AE file with 100 layers and effects. I dont think thats a viable solution. :D

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 7, 2013 at 6:13:17 am

[Tom Daigon] "Have you tried opening a PrP project with a dynamically linked AE file with 100 layers and effects. I dont think thats a viable solution. :D
"

Tom, I understand that there are some things you won't be able to do unless you re-rent the software for a month. But, there are ways to easily cover most other related things. We've all been backing up projects for years before dynamic linking came into existence. Is this a disadvantage? Yes, it is a bit. It is also potentially inconvenient. What it isn't is the inflames you'll-never-be-able-to-see-or-use-your-files-again rhetoric I was responding to. I mean, you have to rent it for another month. If I really do need to get back into my "PrP project with a dynamically linked AE file with 100 layers and effects" its probably worth it.

I'm not thrilled by this turn of events, but I'm also interested in top notch tools that will help me accomplish things. If Adobe feels that they need to do this to be viable, I'm willing to listen to them. I also don't have all of my interests in a single camp. I dig Media Composer. Lightworks looks cool. And FCP 7 is still there.

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on May 7, 2013 at 2:28:20 pm

Chris,

You are probably correct and this will never happen. But, you mention in your reply that FCP7is still there. My point is, what if it wasn't? What if FCP7 was a rental model and the day they they killed it you only had 30 days to transfer everything to a new product/platform. How much on an inconvenience would that be? I guess I'm in the monitory, but I like to own my tools. I want to know that I can keep working with my body of work for a long time to come. Even if something happens to the company or products.

I also can't understand why they can't keep offering perpetual licenses for their products. Even if they cost more? I'm willing to pay more to own my tools. Maybe that's what feels so dirty about this. It appears to be more of a money grab. And that makes me feel like Adobe doesn't have my back. And that makes me feel like I don't want to trust my body of work to them. I realize they are a business, and care more about my money then me, but it never felt like that until now.

JT

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 2:43:42 pm

James I completely agree with your stance.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 7, 2013 at 4:21:29 pm

James, I would certainly prefer that the buy/license model continues to exist. I am in no way arguing that it shouldn't. It is not an either/or thing.

I'm also not surprised that this move is engendering animosity. And, no, I do not want every software manufacturer taking up this model. All I am saying above is that to say you will never be able to open up or use your project again is a rash statement, and not, in my view, legitimate.

If Adobe does change their mind over this, it will take a long time. This was not a spur of the moment decision. I'm not crazy about it, but the reality is that I don't see it stopping me from using Adobe products.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 4:33:44 pm

[Chris Harlan] "I would certainly prefer that the buy/license model continues to exist. I am in no way arguing that it shouldn't."

Chris,I agree completely with you on this issue.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 6, 2013 at 9:39:50 pm

I can understand that the Creative Cloud may benefit some. It certainly will not benefit everyone, however. I was looking very forward to CS7 but now can see there won't be one.

It appears that Adobe, along with many other big corporations only care about profit and their share holders (to some degree) but not their customers. Greed seems to run the show and the move Adobe made is further evidence.

The path that Adobe has now taken is great news to Avid and Apple, at least for now. To me Final Cut Pro X is looking pretty darn good at the moment. I am also considering Autodesk Smoke as an alternative.

The news is disappointing at best. I would have really like to see After Effects as well as the entire CS line as perpetual license. Thanks Adobe for really listening!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 6, 2013 at 11:20:48 pm

[David Mathis] "It appears that Adobe, along with many other big corporations only care about profit and their share holders (to some degree) but not their customers. Greed seems to run the show and the move Adobe made is further evidence.
"

The point is not greed, the point is a better business model to more easily serve the customers. I've already stated this before, but a subscription model makes for a more steady financial model through the year rather than a huge spike of purchases when a new product comes out down to a trickle during the last quarter of the software cycle. With subscriptions, there is a steady and predictable cash flow allowing the company to make better and faster business decisions.

As I've already compared before, can you go an entire year with two big jobs over two months and then little to nothing the rest of the year? My company can't. We rely on steady income through the year through a series of jobs. This is essentially the same thing.

This has already been called the generation that won't own anything in their lives. Netflix streaming. Hulu Streaming. Free Google Docs and Calendar. Photos on Shutterfly. You already pay monthly for "nothing" from your phone, tv, internet, providers to just receive a digital signal. And so on.

iTunes really started the whole subscription model years ago and now it's progressed to the software we use every day. Certainly switch to something else if you're that upset, everyone knows I did that with X making the switch to Adobe. Personally I see way too many positives in this that goes way beyond Premiere Pro. The suite of apps is the strongest out there right now. Combined I really don't see anything else that offers the value even at the full $50 / month.

But if you're that upset, absolutely you should talk with your pocket book and find the tool that has the toolset you need and the ownership plan you want. Best to you!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 7, 2013 at 3:59:09 am

[David Mathis] "It appears that Adobe, along with many other big corporations only care about profit...

I am also considering Autodesk Smoke as an alternative."

So...Adobe actually lowers their prices on a chronological basis...but they're doing it because they're greedy.

Autodesk Smoke can be owned of course...for 3,500.00. I assume you won't be buying any upgrades until after 2019, because that's how long your 3,500.00 USD would buy you every application Adobe makes, upgraded perpetually.

C'mon guys...really?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 4:30:47 am

Lets check your math Tim.

For ten years I have upgraded the Production Bundle for $360
Next year I will pay for the Cloud yearly about $600

Theres the math for you.

And before if I didnt want to upgrade, I could still edit
Now if I stop renting, I dont edit.

C'mon Tim, really? :D

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 7, 2013 at 4:35:16 am

Exactly right on the math, Tom.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 7, 2013 at 4:37:32 am

Not to mention that you could still edit without further payments.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 4:41:40 am

Exactly.

I could almost accept the rate hike if I had the option to edit if I decided not to upgrade for a while.But losing total control of my choice is hard to swallow.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 7, 2013 at 5:27:38 am

Walter did bring up some very useful points in response to my previous post. My emotions got the better of me earlier and please accept my apology.

My only real concern is simply if I cancel my subscription to the Creative Cloud is what will become of the media and the known fact I lose access to the project files. I will, however, keep an open mind.

Happy editing!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 2:38:52 pm

David your fears are well founded and echoed by thousands.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 7, 2013 at 5:08:52 am

[Tom Daigon] "For ten years I have upgraded the Production Bundle for $360"

You haven't for 10 years...that price is for download...and Adobe was shipping physical media until CS3...there was shock when they simply stopped shipping printed manuals in CS4.

I've been around a while too, and have listened to the complaints about the price every cycle since Premiere 6.5 was the release product...and the 600.00 price tag has been the relatively consistent list price for the most recent version-upgrade for Production Premium since it was the "Video Collection" for CS1 and CS2.

Since the retail price of Production Premium is still 1800.00 USD as of CS6, and a new user starts at 600/yr, they get the entire catalog of Adobe software and three years of development for the same price instead of 1800 followed by a 360 upgrade each year...

And Tom...next year, you would pay Adobe exactly the same as you paid them this year if you paid 360...because that's what 29.99/mth comes to for CS6 users. But, then it will go up to 49.99 after a year...you guys know that Premiere Pro alone lists for over 700.00 right?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

bob kimberly
on May 6, 2013 at 9:57:36 pm

i still don't get the fuss....the price to buy the whole suite in my country is over $2000.....it would take me 3+ years @ $50/month to pay this off....and what do i end up with...3 year old software that would have to be upgraded to support the newer hardware anyway.......even for small house $50 bucks a month is peanuts to have the latest versions always available...and you can write of the cost against your business so you are essentially getting it for free....beside you can just pop an extra few bucks onto your invoice and even if you only do 1 job a week it would only cost you 12 bucks per job....if you're making a grand per job then this is a microscopic fee for use of these great tools. and keep in mind if you read small print...even if you bought the previous versions of the software... you dont really own it.
also remember that just a few years back you had to pay license fees for avid and flame and henry and that was thousands per month and only worked in ntsc and pal...now you got a whole hd suite of all the goodies for 50 bucks...thats not even a few starbucks cappuccinos.....

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 6, 2013 at 10:20:34 pm

What you are not understanding is the implication of the fact that if you quit paying, it quits working. I will be able to open my CS6 files far into the future at no expense, and at no alteration to the files. Once you open your current files in a Creative Cloud application, they will be converted to that new versions format, in other words, not backward compatible. Then you are stuck in this rat race of constant payments to keep your projects viable.

Also, we who are primarily doing video editing and special effects have had no need for all of the Adobe applications. We bought Production Premium once and then have been able to upgrade to the next version annually for ~$400, a predictable amount. Updates and bug fixes have traditionally been provided free. There is no guarantee other than subscriber flight that Adobe will not raise prices for Creative Cloud rental in the future. My CS6 license will continue to work with no further payments.

Don't forget that your most valuable asset is your body of work. It is in a format that you know you will have access to without further obligation to Adobe. This was true with Perpetual Licensing. With Creative Cloud you lose that unless you pay, year after year.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 7, 2013 at 10:00:19 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Once you open your current files in a Creative Cloud application, they will be converted to that new versions format, in other words, not backward compatible. Then you are stuck in this rat race of constant payments to keep your projects viable."

You can just export out XML or EDL's or AAF's of your project and port that to whatever NLE you want - Vegas, Avid, FCPX, Smoke, etc. You're not in an iron-clad relationship with Premiere! Those of us who left FCP7 for Adobe (myself being one of them, Walter also) still had to migrate projects over to a new NLE. We all survived....well I think we all did!?

I would suspect, though I can't confirm, that when you open a CS6 project in a CC app it will offer to save a new version of it for you thereby leaving the CS6 version in tact (like what CS6 does now, and CS5.5 did before). You will still have older versions of your project (or you can always copy/paste the project to save a copy before opening).

The sky isn't falling.....just changing color a little.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 10:04:00 pm

Sorry Ryan, my PrP timelines have lots of dynamic links to AE comps.Your good suggestions wont help out these kind of projects unfortunately :D

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on May 6, 2013 at 10:22:15 pm

OK, please enlighten me. I was at NAB and they said we could still buy the upgrade. We don't have to join the cloud. Did something change since NAB?

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
JVC GY-HM600
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 6, 2013 at 10:35:47 pm

You can buy CS6 only. All future versions are Creative Cloud membership only.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 6, 2013 at 10:36:32 pm

The CS6 perpetual license is the last one you will be able to get. There will be no CS7. The ones still available in box form are the last. I imagine they are selling well today. Adobe is moving everything to to a rental, Creative Cloud model.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tommy Campbell
on May 7, 2013 at 12:31:42 am

I'm sure that I'm not the only person who could care less about the other apps outside the Production Premium Suite. My current $29.99/month is great because its only a little less than what the CS6 upgrade was. Sure, $50/month is great if you're a Master Collection user but it seems they don't much care about those who aren't. I'm more upset that I have to buy the whole cow when all I need is some milk.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on May 7, 2013 at 1:42:38 pm

Is the CC subscription doable? Yes. Is the CC subscription a win for a small shop? Not really.

I can see where a medium to large agency might use the CC model, but I don't need half of the software that is offered, and rarely have the interactivity w/ others that is envisioned.

At the NAB there was, at best, only tepid approval of a cloud subscription. With CS6 on the verge of become the go-to software for post-production, why institute a program that would cast so much doubt on its long term acceptance and viability? (Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the edit suiteā€¦)

IMHO, CC subscription is a poor to bad idea for many, and will induce customers to explore other software options.

I urge Adobe to reconsider the CC only model and perhaps create an alternate plan for software ownership.

Respectfully,

Jim Cunningham

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 7, 2013 at 2:01:03 pm

[Jim Cunningham] "Is the CC subscription doable? Yes. Is the CC subscription a win for a small shop? Not really. "

The interesting thing about that statement is most of the people I know who have switched to CC are one man shops. The financials make sense because now instead of deciding which apps they really need to have, they have access to everything.

Especially for the one man band, if they are getting files from elsewhere, it's nice to be able to open those files natively.

But everyone will have to make their own decision. Here we'll need 6 more CC subs through the Teams group and after running the numbers, it's definitely a good fit for us vs. switching off to another software

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 2:44:35 pm

[Jim Cunningham] "
I urge Adobe to reconsider the CC only model and perhaps create an alternate plan for software ownership."

Well said Jim.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Ann Baldwin
on May 7, 2013 at 3:21:54 pm

I'm a one-woman CS6 Production Premium user, a passionate hobbyist rather than a pro. There are thousands like me who share their work on serious video sites like Vimeo. We don't always need the latest tools. I have updated my Adobe software every 2-3 years for the past 12 years with academic pricing. However, I certainly don't intend to pay monthly for upgrades that aren't essential to my creative process. I love my CS6 and will continue to use it for years to come. If they ever stop selling CS6, my 'box' will be worth a fortune!

Ann Baldwin
http://annbaldwin.zenfolio.com/
'Art Changes Lives'

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2013 at 3:25:22 pm

[Ann Baldwin] " However, I certainly don't intend to pay monthly for upgrades that aren't essential to my creative process."

And to add to that, hold you hostage by requiring you to continue to make payments that if ended deny you access to your projects and your software. Totally nuts from my perspective.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 7, 2013 at 8:22:36 pm

[Ann Baldwin] "I have updated my Adobe software every 2-3 years for the past 12 years with academic pricing. However, I certainly don't intend to pay monthly for upgrades that aren't essential to my creative process. "

So...in the past 12 years there have been 11 paid upgrades for Premiere Pro...you've purchased roughly a quarter of those, and paid academic pricing for them...

I'm not really certain what those who are using Adobe software from 3 or 4 versions ago, or those who upgrade every 3rd drop are threatening...Adobe will lose your academic upgrade fee 3 years from now?

I buy used cars and run them for a long time. The car dealership is not persecuting me because they optimize their business practices for those customers who buy a new car every two years...that's the customer that's paying their bills.

Walter has supplied a link for official contact on the subject.

Lots of people in these threads very efficiently creating 100% of an opinion from 30% of the information...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]