FORUMS: list search recent posts

interesting piece on Google launching free web design toolset.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
interesting piece on Google launching free web design toolset.
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:45:49 pm

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/04/google-will-soon-launch-google-web-designe...

Google will soon launch Google Web Designer, an HTML5 development tool for “creative professionals.”

Gates of hell opening a crack there in front of Adobe. One thing that maybe doesn't get mentioned enough in all this is just how much the failure of Adobe's web strategy is feeding into this retreat into subscriptions where they are left having to point a gun at their remaining customers' heads.

the total mess that was flash - and adobe's grandiose belief that it was going to give them the keys to post operating system run anywhere dominance are at the root of a lot of this you would have to think. Everything else in the suite is over twenty years old, and they have had absolutely no success in developing compelling web tools after the car crash that was Flash. And they didn't even figure flash out - they bought it.

this motley fool investor note makes some good points:
http://beta.fool.com/jgmoorejr/2013/05/28/adobe-wants-to-be-your-digital-la...

this paragraph from the note, to my mind, sums up the reasoning behind adobe's sweatily desperate attempts to become a subscription service:

Steve Job's HTML5 fetish has rapidly become mainstream among the web creative class Adobe covets. Adobe's lack of innovation caused their user-base to embrace open-source software, inadvertently accelerating the post-Flash Internet world we see today. Adobe's SaaS play is a feeble attempt to be relevant and profitable.

Adobe has not created any new products worthy of the cloud. Adobe Muse was a step in the wrong direction. Adobe Edge is, "too little, too late." Not to mention that there are many affordable or free HTML5 editors. Tumult Hype is superior to Adobe Edge -- and you can actually buy it for less than $60. The Escapers Flux is a powerful HTML5 web design application that you can purchase for under $140 -- and you actually own it. These are just two products on the market that are vastly superior to anything Adobe currently has in its stable of products.

this run to a subscription lock in with whatever reduced base they can cobble together to milk for cash feels, at least in part, a reaction or admission to Adobe's growing irrelevance online - before adobe started shoving CC in my face - seriously, who had heard of "edge animate" or "muse"?

http://www.adobe2014.com
#adobe2014

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
Re: interesting piece on Google launching free web design toolset.
on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:27:01 pm

I have.

Edge and Muse are exclusive to the cloud & always have been, with most of the Edge applications being preview versions rather than stable releases.

Also, while I appreciate the recommendation of other web design tools, most designers are going to need something stronger than GIMP if they want to replace Photoshop.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:40:47 pm

Sounds like they're between a rock and a hard place with Photoshop and the photography crowd rebelling against rentals. Already supposedly Lightroom not in CC. What good is LR without PS?

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:59:04 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Already supposedly Lightroom not in CC"

Lightroom is in CC, just not solely in it.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:07:05 pm

What I meant, thanks.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 6, 2013 at 12:42:04 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Tumult Hype is superior to Adobe Edge -- and you can actually buy it for less than $60"

Hype is awesome... Actually, HyperEdit, their other app, is pretty great too...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]