FORUMS: list search recent posts

Let's say Adobe did offer a buyout option...

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Wiethorn
Let's say Adobe did offer a buyout option...
on Jun 1, 2013 at 5:48:54 am

And it was $10,000. 10 grand, and you've got one non-transferable Creative Cloud license for the rest of your natural life, or until it's completely unfeasible or simply no longer relevant. Let's say you could even make payments over 5 years (~$170 a month), but if you miss a payment or back out, you have no equity. (If this were reality, I would imagine even after your buyout was paid off, there would still be a nominal annual fee to maintain your account. Say $50 a year)

As another hypothetical, let's say they offer a $2500 3 year option. You pay $2500, get CC for 3 years, but at the end of your term, if you choose not to renew, your software becomes frozen in time. If an update for After Effects comes out 1 day after your term expires, you don't get it. You can continue to use everything as it exists for you, but the day after your term expires I send you a .AEP, you can't open it. When that Red Giant plugin you paid $800 dollars for comes out with an update, you won't be able to install it. All of your existing projects and third party extensions will open and work forever.

One last one, let's say the offer a $1000 on-the-spot buyout option. You rent CC from now until the day you decide to retire, when you pay $1000 and your software becomes locked in time. (assume you have be a CC customer for at least one year to have this option) No more updates, but all your existing projects will open and work fine.

Would any of these options persuade you to lower your pitchforks?

If you don't catch my undertone, I don't think any of these are untenable. That's why Adobe is unlikely to offer any sort of buyout option.

What I think is misunderstood in this forum is that the very paradigm of the tools has changed. We must all accept it. There are no more versions, suites, or collections. You either have the tools or you don't. As technology, tastes, and expectations change, new updates to address it roll out the moment they are ready. Everyone is always on the same page. I welcome and embrace this forward thinking change. I know I'm in the minority of the few dozen outspoken in this forum, but the other 480,000 people who agree with me are pretty quiet.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: Let's say Adobe did offer a buyout option...
on Jun 1, 2013 at 6:46:04 am

[Tyler Wiethorn] "Would any of these options persuade you to lower your pitchforks? "

Yes.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 2, 2013 at 4:12:42 pm

Definitely!

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfV20RTBQmUxgDXDkRHDC_j2f62vBUF_n&fea...

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jun 1, 2013 at 9:36:16 am

Also: Yes.

Fair would have been: Paying 3 or 4 years the monthly fee (or until you reached an fixed amount in case of breaks), and getting a Buy-Out Bonus with that.
Means: From there on you can go on paying the fee, or to quit the subscription when ever you want with the software version at that moment for further lifelong unrestricted use (And - if you decide to jump back in the cloud in the next 1 or 2 years - the right to refresh this without losing your bonus).
With that you have had the guaranty to be able to open/edit all your and your clients files in the future.
With that I would have had an better, more trustable base for investment in PlugIns and Workflows.
With that Adobe also would reach it´s target to get an more foreseeable income.
Not likely, but my concerns wouldn´t be that great with that.
Not likely, because I don´t think they are motivated in updates that much as it has to be.
Update politics in the last years wasn´t so much great innovation as more polishing what is (and even that wasn´t done very good, if I have a look to all the different GUIs)
If Adobe offers an solution, where I have to pay 10.000 or 12.000 for the complete suite & the lifelong right to use (BUT: transferable as before) & UpDates lifelong I would have bought it at once (MC was more than $ 5.000 here in EU without the yearly > $1.000 for upgrading - so would be a good deal after 5 years).
Tell me one real point why the cloud only distribution isn´t an evil from customers sight.
Fair would also have been: No one or all solution. This way people like me (who use nearly all of the Apps) are backed (if I would subscribe - but I never will!) by the users, who use onl 2 or 3 Apps.
But my point is made behind Adobe. Done with them. Trust away & I don´t want to live in fear, what comes next from them.
Wait till the "Catch the Cloudies" period has changed to the "Yeah! We got them - no way out!" period.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 1, 2013 at 12:37:03 pm

[Tyler Wiethorn] "What I think is misunderstood in this forum is that the very paradigm of the tools has changed. We must all accept it. There are no more versions, suites, or collections. "

This is not a given fact. It is merely how Adobe has chosen to implement their strategy - right or wrong. Apple, Avid, Sony, Grass Valley and many others have not adopted the same strategy. So, I'm not sure they would agree that the paradigm of the tools has, in fact, changed. It has changed for Adobe, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily true for the industry at large. If you accept the SOX rationale, then the change has been caused by government regulation and not a technology change at all.

[Tyler Wiethorn] "As technology, tastes, and expectations change, new updates to address it roll out the moment they are ready. Everyone is always on the same page. "

Maybe. We have yet to see whether the speed of rollouts will be as advertised. So far they have been tied to marketing benchmarks, but it still takes a certain amount of time to improve, test and build in features. Then you have to create proper installers, place them into the download pipeline, etc. Everyone won't be on the same page, because many will not upgrade mid-project or will opt to stay on older hardware and OS versions.

You cannot use FCP X as an example of fast development either, because, a) support for legacy project formats was dropped, and b) many of these features were likely already in the development pipeline since before launch. I think it's realistic to think of new features on an 8-moth to 1-year cycle. Remember that the Adobe team might focus on AE at one moment and then PPro next. Not everything gets equal emphasis - Cloud or no Cloud.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jun 1, 2013 at 1:18:39 pm

Also: Yes.

Fair would have been: Paying 3 or 4 years the monthly fee (or until you reached an fixed amount in case of breaks), and getting a Buy-Out Bonus with that.
Means: From there on you can go on paying the fee, or to quit the subscription when ever you want with the software version at that moment for further lifelong unrestricted use (And - if you decide to jump back in the cloud in the next 1 or 2 years - the right to refresh this without losing your bonus).
With that you have had the guaranty to be able to open/edit all your and your clients files in the future.
With that I would have had an better, more trustable base for investment in PlugIns and Workflows.
With that Adobe also would reach it´s target to get an more foreseeable income.
Not likely, but my concerns wouldn´t be that great with that.
Not likely, because I don´t think they are motivated in updates that much as it has to be.
Update politics in the last years wasn´t so much great innovation as more polishing what is (and even that wasn´t done very good, if I have a look to all the different GUIs)
If Adobe offers an solution, where I have to pay 10.000 or 12.000 for the complete suite & the lifelong right to use (BUT: transferable as before) & UpDates lifelong I would have bought it at once (MC was more than $ 5.000 here in EU without the yearly > $1.000 for upgrading - so would be a good deal after 5 years).
Tell me one real point why the cloud only distribution isn´t an evil from customers sight.
Fair would also have been: No one or all solution. This way people like me (who use nearly all of the Apps) are backed (if I would subscribe - but I never will!) by the users, who use onl 2 or 3 Apps.
But my point is made behind Adobe. Done with them. Trust away & I don´t want to live in fear, what comes next from them.
Wait till the "Catch the Cloudies" period has changed to the "Yeah! We got them - no way out!" period.

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
on Jun 1, 2013 at 3:45:48 pm

"What I think is misunderstood in this forum is that the very paradigm of the tools has changed. We must all accept it."

Like we accepted Apple's new paradigm two years ago?

I'm starting to hate that word.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jun 1, 2013 at 3:58:20 pm

Me too.

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 1, 2013 at 4:58:02 pm

[Jim Glickert] ""What I think is misunderstood in this forum is that the very paradigm of the tools has changed. We must all accept it."

Like we accepted Apple's new paradigm two years ago?

I'm starting to hate that word."

Not only that, but the paradigm in terms of what CC represents hasn't changed. Adobe is alone in this. Frankly the problems inherent in a world where subscription is the only option for software have not been addressed (in which all perpetual licensing for any applications has ceased).

The logistics of paying for each and every software on a monthly basis is a nightmare in an accounting sense. Bundles are the only answer. But where does this leave smaller developers with only one or two apps? Will we then be hooked into a cable TV like system where we are forced into bloated packages with tons of stuff we don't want or need cluttering up our computers just to get the few apps we need?

It isn't a "new paradigm." It is merely Adobe changing the dynamics of its revenue stream (with what many feel is not necessarily best for its user base).

Frankly, I dread to think what the implications would be if subscription only is widely adopted by all big software developers. This just may be me being paranoid, but I can see this morphing into the same type of monopoly rampant in the entertainment industry with large mega-corporations controlling software bundle distribution and the little guy being frozen out.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 1, 2013 at 7:04:46 pm

Still the issue of paying for apps that are not needed remains.

But i would be willing to pay a monthly maintanence fee for uodates providing i had a perpetual licence. and if i stopped paying and then pay again a penalty fee shoulld do the work.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Jun 1, 2013 at 11:10:37 pm

People have enormous amounts of time on their hands for "creative professionals" to spend months venting here.

If you don't like how they sell the software -- take your business somewhere else!

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 1, 2013 at 11:17:23 pm

@ Andy Field: After paying Adobe since version 1 of Photoshop in one way or another, myself, my companies, working with my clients,and promoting their products as an Apple Video VAR for ten years, I think I have a right to an opinion on this absurd model that is being forced on us. You have time to comment, why shouldn't I?

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jun 1, 2013 at 11:41:51 pm

Yes, I see it the same - it should be a right. Not only a right to say.
And mee to - know ps from the beginning. My first own bought was V2.

But I think Adobe will go away with that in the end.
May be they will change a little bit by choice, to not lose all the PS Enthusiasts.
Or they are forced to change a little bit by law (like the Australian Version)
But in the main facts they will not change - there was no reaction for 3 weeks now.

Hope not, but I think that´s what will come.
I already made my point behind.

But my concerns are big enough to follow this.
May be, some comments can open the eyes or change the mind of some potential.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 2, 2013 at 7:48:39 pm

[Andy Field] "People have enormous amounts of time on their hands for "creative professionals" to spend months venting here."

What's your excuse?

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Jun 2, 2013 at 7:55:56 pm

Great to be in grade school with the witty comebacks.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 2, 2013 at 8:02:25 pm

[Andy Field] "Great to be in grade school with the witty comebacks."

You get the level of intelligence that your comment deserved.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 2, 2013 at 11:11:03 pm

[Gary Huff] "
What's your excuse?"

LOL! Nice timing Gary.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfV20RTBQmUxgDXDkRHDC_j2f62vBUF_n&fea...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]