FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Role of the Mac in Alternative Packages

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
The Role of the Mac in Alternative Packages
on May 31, 2013 at 6:51:15 pm

Since the huge success of FCP Legacy over the last 10-15 years, I would have to guess that the percentages of Macs vs PCs is much higher in video production than the general marketplace where Apple is already much higher than reflected here. A lot of MacBooks and iMacs around now. It was only 2 years ago that FCPX was introduced (prematurely) and caused the big move to Premiere in the first place, and Adobe's huge effort to get it the respect it needed to get the attention it now has from professional and semi-pro Mac users.

As FCP Legacy was only available on the Mac, and Avid was on both and started there, I would suggest the numbers of Mac users in production is around 50/50 in the general production population, if not higher. Certainly higher two years ago. Here in Hawaii it is much higher Mac than PC in pro shops, the market I sold Avid to. The primary edit computers are still about 75-80% Mac. There has certainly been some erosion with the lack of a new Mac Pro, but that I believe will be remedied very soon. Some shops now have a PC for heavy lifting and iMacs and older Mac Pros for suites, just like Walter Biscardi. Production companies tend to be smaller here with many boutique single operator shops as well, a target Adobe could have owned before this change. Not to mention those who work in the mainstream and also have our own companies whose choice of platform have been similar to fit in with the bigger shops. Mostly Macs still.

If there is a lack of editing mainstream alternatives on the PC, a lot of that has to do with the large percentage of people using Premiere from Adobe on them over the same period as FCP Legacy when it dominated the market on the Mac. This is a problem for PC users with CC, but it is also a problem for Adobe, when FCPX becomes more accepted. Adobe is undoing a lot of their efforts to keep Mac users by doing their best to drive Mac users back toward FCPX and Apple because of CC and it's no perpetual fixed buy in. Avid is already accepted at the highest levels on both Mac and PC. So there is a Mac/PC alternative there, even with their current financial problems. FCPX has come a very long way and is being used much more by the serious. PC does have Vegas and Edius. Have heard they are quite good.

My point is, I think a large degree of the acceptance of CC will revolve around what recent Mac Adobe converts do regarding Creative Cloud. Larger than what is reflected in Forums that used to be largely PC because of Premiere pre FCPX. There wouldn't be nearly the uproar now without the disgruntled former FCP Mac users. Adobe has devoted a great deal of energy to convincing those on the Mac to adopt Premiere. Their loyalty to Adobe in video, other than AE, a much smaller market than NLEs, is much less than those on the PC platform. They see at least the similarities and certainly know the anger of having gone through this alienation twice now. In that respect Adobe and Apple are co-equals, from two years ago with Apple and the abrupt move to a new, incomplete interface and now with Adobe and the abrupt move to rental and unending payments.

So that is my take on it, at least for now. I, personally, am going to sit on CS6 and my other software for now, one or even two years minimum, probably longer if necessary, and see how this shakes out. As long as my Mac Pro 2010 holds out. Could be my final solution, though I hope the Adobe situation changes. In the meantime, I intend to pick up a copy of FCPX and learn it at least for documentary and art use. Already have Motion 5. Both are cheap and perpetual.

One thing I will not do is let Adobe take me hostage to changing rental software that I can't move back to perpetual licensing on, ever. As several have said here, that would be suicide for anyone with much work to do and declining budgets in the latter stages of their career and eventually a move to only personal projects you want to keep working on.

At any rate, I think Mac users have a very large say in this. I ask Mac users, would you have even been on this Forum two plus years ago? Premiere has just begun to be somewhat stable on the Mac, and Adobe has been hotly pursuing us, to some great success before this change. But we are a skittish lot, with good reason, and will vote with our wallets, regardless of all the verbal uproar and placative talk from Adobe. There is competition out there on the Mac, and more coming. Adobe has opened a very large hole in their defenses with this move to rental Creative Cloud with no out.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
Re: The Role of the Mac in Alternative Packages
on May 31, 2013 at 8:18:28 pm

I´m on a MAC (or let´s say many of them). I made intensive use of nearly all apps of my Master Collection. Even in video editing. Mostly short fair trailers combined with 3D graphics.
But also working in "classical" print design and Web.
Beside my Master Collection CS6 I own (the right to use) Final Cut Studio (on it´s own mac) and FCX. For Print I have also QuarkXPress and still FreeHand (which is even good enough after so many years not beeing updated for 95% of my Illustrator jobs) also on an old MAC G4 and virtualized on a MAC G5. Flash isn´t asked very often by my clients and Dreamweaver isn´t that difficult to be replaced. So It hurts me, but it hurts me not that hard as others. I also will have a look to the Avid Apps in the near future. I have to change my workflow between Cinema 4D and AE - that hurts a bit for the moment. But I think, I wil find a fitting alternative. I also make use of Blender sometimes. What really hurts is Photoshop. There are many competitors, but no one has all the features and is as easy to use (hurts a little bit to say, as I´m completely done with Adobe). And CMYK support is missing to all in a professional way. I think I have to keep CS6 as long as I can. And I will do. As I often have to handle very old files, I have not only one "old running system".
Apples politics of the last decade is not far away of that was Adobe is doing for the moment. Once (20 years ago) loved the MAC, because everything was running much more stable and easy as under Windows. Components could be changed very easy and without any hazel. These times are long ago and Apple is a Hype-Factory for me today. They are more interested in their money making Gimmicks. Professionals like me are not the target group. But I still find the GUI more comfortable as Windows.
I also use WIN very often, as for some very special jobs there are no alternatives on the MAC. Or the hardware (like realtime 3D graphic cards for 3D Editing) is still not available to my needs.
My sight on the change of Adobe is: Unacceptable. Anyway. And the prices are absolutely not the first thing.
I have the same problem as the most, here and all the blogs I read last weeks. Losing FULL EDITABLE access to my files is a NoGo.
The cloud would be very much cheaper for me and I would pay double or triple the price if they would give me the freedom of choice and the lifelong right to use after subscription (without updates).
I create 1,5 TB clients data a year (as a single person - not multiplicated with my employees). I´m responsible for many 10thousand client files. I have to guaranty my industry clients 3 years of access to their jobs. That doesn´t mean: Have a look on it (as Adobe thinks that would be good enough). I nearly have not one day in my business, where I don´t have to use files, which are between 1 to 3 years old. Sometimes a client want´s an old fair trailer with a new Text-Layer, an other one will take an part of it´s last year catalog, or I even want to open files with my libraries of icons/graphics for illustrating and so on.
If I stay in subscription for three years & a good, serious developer comes up & I want to change software - I have to pay a min. of 3 years subscription for even nothing else than the use of my old, self made creations. Or I can convert 4,5 TB of files into useless non editable formats!? Never? Really never! Can´t even understand what these professional do, that are in the cloud already. As when I´m talking to others here - they all have nearly the same problem. Else another scenario: I always save the Adobe format and the compatible one? Never!
As I said: The NoGo in this distribution is the missing Buy-Out plan. With that one, might be I had a look on the cloud. But It´s a point behind for me.
Adobe changed completely for me. Believe it or not: I´m really a bit ashamed by using Photoshop.
Conclusion: I think as a MAC user you have nearly the same problems. May be a little more in the end. Most professional MAC users are in the graphic business and Adobe is a Monopolist here. Also PDF is a standrad which can not be handled that good by competitors: And so on. Many Freelancers have to handle the Files of big Agencies (for whom the move is not such a great problem, sometimes - but I´m surprised, how many voices I heard in the last days from there, also thinking about to change). So they are forced if they don´t want to lose their business partners. As this change came without any warning (like a flash out of the cloud) many users realized suddenly, in what a great dependency they are already. Many people are confused and looking for alternatives. But also know, that they have to invest time and money if they do not subscribe. So the concerns to Adobe are really enormous. Adobe once was seen serious, competent and fair. Has radically changed from one day to the other. Great Image Disaster.
I for myself even wondering why this is not forbidden by law. Microsoft has been stopped here in the EU by law and punished, as they tried to integrate Internet Explorer into the Operating System. But what´s that compared to Adobes move.
So you will never meet me in the cloud. I can not accept that dependency. I don´t want to be one of the door openers. And I also don´t like the philosophy. And last but not least: My trust is away - I feel ripped of. They changed the product I once bought. If I would go on with them, I would always be afraid, what comes up next. And: I don´t want to be in the cloud when the period of "fishing cloudies" changes to "now we got them". Price-Rising? Incompatibility Problems? Hardware Upgrades? They can throw away any App they want...
My answer to the cloud, simply: No.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Jun 1, 2013 at 9:17:22 am

As one of those Mac users, here is my take. I feel betrayed, lied to and mad at Adobe. And it's not even totally all their fault. See when Apple pulled their fast one it really made me mad. Mad enough to switch from FCP which I had been using since it came out, to Adobe CS6. I switched because Adobe convinced me they would listen to me, that I, the pro user, mattered to them. And now I am told 'You don't like the Cloud? Tough, stay on CS6 then'
Exact same thing as Apple telling me 'You don't like FCP X? Tough stay on FCP 7 then'. It seems Adobe won't listen to what I want after all, instead they will do it their way, just like Apple did.

So guess what. I feel betrayed twice. And even though Adobe has only done it once, they are the one doing it most recently (now) after they convinced me that they would never do it. So it's almost like all my bad feelings from both of my bad experiences are getting heaped on them. Unfair to Adobe maybe, but no one said the world is fair.
And to top it off, FCP X is using the good parts (from a customer point of view) of 'the cloud' (instant delivery of updates) without using the bad (perpetual payment). So I'm now learning FCP X and I got a copy of it and
Motion which I really like. Am also thinking about trying Avid MC.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 1, 2013 at 6:29:23 pm

@ Gabe Strong ;
I will be checking out FCPX myself, Gabe. Could be all I need with Motion 5 & Compressor. To say that I am disappointed in Adobe is an understatement. Apple has gotten the cloud right after a terrible start with the application. Adobe is doing the reverse. Vote with your wallet. Without modification to CC for ownership of license it is a non-starter. They say stay on CS6, but without OSX updates, that is pretty much meaningless. Say Adobe, What about CS6 OSX updates for those of us who don't want or need the Cloud? The alternative is leaving you for good without changes to CC. And moving to the competition.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jun 1, 2013 at 9:55:43 pm

Adobe has already said they'll be supporting cs6 with bug fixes and OS compatibility through at least the next OS cycle.

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Jun 1, 2013 at 10:04:16 pm

They wrote "plan to..." as I read right. The times of trust are gone.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 1, 2013 at 10:13:31 pm

@ Juan Salvo : The next OS cycle is 10.9. It is due out late this summer, possibly August-September. Apple updates OSX ~once per year. That only counts for a little more than a year before CS6 will probably be broken by the 2014 update. Not much comfort in that.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Jun 1, 2013 at 10:42:06 pm

It's different that's for sure. One thing I've found that makes it easier (at least to start) is that you can use the position tool (P) to treat it much like FCP7 so everything does not snap with the magnetic timeline....plus you can stack clips vertically this way for compositing just like 7. Eventually I will learn this program but so far, it's not bad. And I absolutely LOVE Motion. It's like the unknown jewel. Got Compressor as well. All three for less than a years worth of subscription to CC. Interesting how things work, when I left FCP, I thought I was moving to Adobe for good.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jun 3, 2013 at 2:34:30 am

I hope you'll love FCPX. The learning curve is a bit tough if you come in expecting to already know your way around. I started FCP back on v4 and thought I could just jump in. I absolutely hated it until I put some time in on Lynda.com to get to know it better. I also hear Ripple Training's courses are top notch.

Shoot sh*t, Edit sh*t

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]