FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer 7: OWN IT.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
Media Composer 7: OWN IT.
on May 31, 2013 at 2:28:45 am

As I mentioned in the FCPX debate forum, I noticed there's an ad here for Media Composer 7 with the words "Own It" prominently displayed above the price. I wonder who they're going after with that one... ;)

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
Re: Media Composer 7: OWN IT.
on May 31, 2013 at 3:49:17 am

It's amazing how they regained the NLE throne by other companies screwing up. They'll have to watch out for Lightworks though.

The thing is, Premiere still is not better than FCP7, and if you ever want to cut with the big boys, there's no other way than to go with Avid.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on May 31, 2013 at 4:56:46 am

Premiere not better than FCP 7? You can't be serious! I have used both and they are not even in the same ball park. PP wins without even a discussion!

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
JVC GY-HM600
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 31, 2013 at 5:51:36 pm

[Ron Pestes] "Premiere not better than FCP 7? You can't be serious! I have used both and they are not even in the same ball park. PP wins without even a discussion!"

On a broadcast level, not even close! Maybe for cutting informercials shot on h264 codec...

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on May 31, 2013 at 6:12:22 pm

Ah, but the render time for h264 on FCP 7 is nasty! Still PP wins.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
JVC GY-HM600
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium
MacBook Pro
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 31, 2013 at 7:56:45 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "On a broadcast level, not even close! Maybe for cutting informercials shot on h264 codec..."

Right, because no one on EVER hands MPEG 4 (.mts, xdcam, etc.) to an Avid station... and I'm sure infomercials are NEVER cut on Avid.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 31, 2013 at 8:11:17 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Right, because no one on EVER hands MPEG 4 (.mts, xdcam, etc.) to an Avid station... and I'm sure infomercials are NEVER cut on Avid."

it doesn't make any difference to an Avid because it transcodes on import to it's own codec, Premiere doesn't have a proprietary codec.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 31, 2013 at 8:42:15 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "
it doesn't make any difference to an Avid because it transcodes on import to it's own codec, Premiere doesn't have a proprietary codec."

You can transcode to anything you want in Premiere, DNxHD, Cineform, etc. Or, you can work with the native file formats (ProRes, OpenEXR sequences, .R3D, whatever). The point being, you can work whichever way suites your needs.

I think the point (insult) you were trying to make is that Premiere Pro is suitable for the low end... h.264 files for cutting infomercials. My point is that Avid is used for that kind of work too. Moreover, I propose that Premiere provides more flexible workflow options for doing lots of different kinds of work.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 31, 2013 at 9:22:02 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I think the point (insult) you were trying to make is that Premiere Pro is suitable for the low end... h.264 files for cutting infomercials. My point is that Avid is used for that kind of work too. Moreover, I propose that Premiere provides more flexible workflow options for doing lots of different kinds of work."

jeez, cut the drama with the insult allegations, Premiere Pro IS better for cutting H264, and yes, most of them are infomercials, that's what I see on my end, I've been around a lot of onlines and never, ever, received a Premiere project from an offline, it's all FCP7 or Avid. Are there infomercials shot on Avid? Sure there is, but that's not I was talking about, I was talking about Premiere being not as good as FCP7.

An example of how better FCP7 is for broadcast than Premiere, when I need to capture from an HDCAM-SR deck with a specific audio channel configuration, say Ch 1 - 2 stereo pair, 3-4 stereo pair, ch 5-10 mono to send a feature via Aspera, Premiere gives me this option: Capture channles: 2, 8 or 16, that's it. After I saw that I closed Premiere and went back to FCP7, works rock solid.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 31, 2013 at 9:28:24 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "An example of how better FCP7 is for broadcast than Premiere, when I need to capture from an HDCAM-SR deck with a specific audio channel configuration, say Ch 1 - 2 stereo pair, 3-4 stereo pair, ch 5-10 mono to send a feature via Aspera, Premiere gives me this option: Capture channles: 2, 8 or 16, that's it. After I saw that I closed Premiere and went back to FCP7, works rock solid."

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/mediaexpress/

Audio Track Monitoring
Audio meters display the levels for up to 16 channels of audio during capture and playback. You can turn tracks on and off during capture, playback and mastering processes.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 31, 2013 at 9:49:21 pm

yeah, amazing that a free utility from Blackmagic works better than a software you have to pay $50/month for capturing tapes.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 31, 2013 at 11:15:37 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "
jeez, cut the drama with the insult allegations,"

Hmmm...

[Gustavo Bermudas] "The thing is, Premiere still is not better than FCP7, and if you ever want to cut with the big boys, there's no other way than to go with Avid."

[Gustavo Bermudas] "On a broadcast level, not even close! Maybe for cutting informercials shot on h264 codec..."

and lastly...

[Gustavo Bermudas] "yeah, amazing that a free utility from Blackmagic works better than a software you have to pay $50/month for capturing tapes."

Maybe you don't mean to come off as sarcastic and condescending, apologies if that's not your intention.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 31, 2013 at 11:24:59 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Maybe you don't mean to come off as sarcastic and condescending, apologies if that's not your intention. "

I can understand you feel sarcasm if you cut personally or the other person I replied to actually cut informercials on Premiere at H264, and somehow is having problems with that, not that there is any.

But, I have no clue what you do with your life, it was a generic statement.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 31, 2013 at 11:44:06 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "But, I have no clue what you do with your life, it was a generic statement."

How is this generic?

[Gustavo Bermudas] (talking about Premiere) "On a broadcast level, not even close! Maybe for cutting informercials shot on h264 codec..."

And let me guess, this isn't an insult...

[Liam Hall]"Premiere CC looks like everything we all wanted FCP8 to be..."

[Gustavo Bermudas]Maybe, but it won't make a difference now, AFAIC, Premiere CC is just vaporware.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Jun 1, 2013 at 12:23:21 am

[Shawn Miller] "[Gustavo Bermudas] (talking about Premiere) "On a broadcast level, not even close! Maybe for cutting informercials shot on h264 codec..."

And let me guess, this isn't an insult..."

Dude! Where did you get the idea that cutting informercials is an insult?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 1, 2013 at 3:54:22 am

[Gustavo Bermudas] "Dude! Where did you get the idea that cutting informercials is an insult?"

I don't think it is. I just don't believe that you didn't mean anything by it. Look, call Premiere Pro Next vaporware. Proclaim that Avid is the ONLY choice if you want to cut with the "big boys" (complete nonsense BTW). All fine by me, just don't pretend that you don't mean any of it as a slight against Premiere. That's all I'm saying. The last word is yours, sir. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on May 31, 2013 at 8:46:38 pm

Yep, those Coen brothers sure don't know shit, do they?

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net
Follow @wordsbyliam

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 31, 2013 at 9:47:28 pm

[Liam Hall] Yep, those Coen brothers sure don't know shit, do they?

I have no doubts that great things can be accomplished with the next version of Premiere. I've seen it in action and it looks amazing.

But until Adobe gets this cloud licensing fiasco sorted out, CS6 is as far as I'll go- no matter what the Coens decide to edit with. Fargo sucked anyway.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 31, 2013 at 6:21:19 am

[Gustavo Bermudas] "It's amazing how they regained the NLE throne by other companies screwing up. They'll have to watch out for Lightworks though."

I know and I'm sure they'd be enjoying it if they weren't knee deep in internal accounting problems.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 31, 2013 at 5:58:37 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I know and I'm sure they'd be enjoying it if they weren't knee deep in internal accounting problems."

yep, now it's on them, personally I think they would make a killing if they make DS more accessible, to occupy the space left by AE. They need to come back to the present, it's not 1999 anymore...

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on May 31, 2013 at 11:43:10 am

[Gustavo Bermudas] "The thing is, Premiere still is not better than FCP7"

Premiere CC looks like everything we all wanted FCP8 to be. A lot of this debate will cease after the 17th of June.

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net
Follow @wordsbyliam

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 31, 2013 at 9:21:57 pm

[Liam Hall] "Premiere CC looks like everything we all wanted FCP8 to be"

Yep, Adobe have successfully created a viable competitor for an NLE that's been discontinued for 2 years. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 31, 2013 at 10:38:51 pm

[Liam Hall] "Premiere CC looks like everything we all wanted FCP8 to be. A lot of this debate will cease after the 17th of June."

Maybe, but it won't make a difference now, AFAIC, Premiere CC is just vaporware.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 31, 2013 at 11:01:40 pm

Premiere CC is anything BUT vaporware - it's been demoed extensively, and you can find videos of it in action all over the web. Vaporware is something that is announced, but never exists, or is cancelled without ever seeing the light of day.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 31, 2013 at 11:10:44 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Premiere CC is anything BUT vaporware - it's been demoed extensively, and you can find videos of it in action all over the web. Vaporware is something that is announced, but never exists, or is cancelled without ever seeing the light of day."

My bad, I thought vaporware is stuff that lives in the "Cloud"... because Clouds are made of vapor?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 31, 2013 at 11:17:23 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "My bad, I thought vaporware is stuff that lives in the "Cloud"... because Clouds are made of vapor?"

So, are you being insulting now? Hard to tell...

Shawn

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 2, 2013 at 8:43:20 am

[Gustavo Bermudas] "The thing is, Premiere still is not better than FCP7, and if you ever want to cut with the big boys, there's no other way than to go with Avid."

Can't agree. Premiere 7 finally passed FCP 7, as far as I can see. Of course it helps that I'm an Avid fan too, since it seems to sit right between both NLEs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]