FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Happens when You near "Retirement"? The Opposite of Student

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
What Happens when You near "Retirement"? The Opposite of Student
on May 28, 2013 at 5:56:30 pm

Alejandro Peralta: >But anyway... I wanted to say why this method makes absolutely no sense to any small (and maybe even medium) business, amateurs, aficionados, or full of passion people. Yes, we will have the latest tools and upgrades... What happens when I retire? Do I have to forget my profession?<

Excellent post Alejandro. What happens indeed? My business is much smaller than it was when I was the Avid and Media 100 dealer in Hawaii in the '90's. Been just doing production since and have scaled down to my real interests and passions in the last few years. I now have a couple of contracts with non-profits that are doing important work. Most of it from grants that bring in very little. Certainly not predictable, nor enough to cover Creative Cloud rental. After that, I guess it's "retirement", whatever that means these days. At least in terms of income. I'm sure I'll still be picking up some jobs. I expect to be doing work as long as I can sit upright at my system. Ten to twenty years, I would hope.

Does that mean I have to abandon Adobe? Apparently so with the CC model. Before I could upgrade CS Production for $350. Who knows how much in five or ten years with CC? It may work for people and companies like the two Walters when running at full speed (they should be truly congratulated for their success), but what about those of us who want to give a little bit back to students, our communities and the rest of the world in "retirement"? CC certainly doesn't work for us at that point. Mortgage or CC? Food or CC? Medical or CC? And to add insult to injury, if we did subscribe to this rental model now, and quit when it became unaffordable later in life, we will have lost access to all of the projects and all of the expertise we have built up over the years of working with Adobe software. This is the aspect I really cannot abide.

Makes for a pretty easy decision.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: What Happens when You near "Retirement"? The Opposite of Student
on May 28, 2013 at 6:07:17 pm

My situation is similar with the same concerns as well.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfV20RTBQmUxgDXDkRHDC_j2f62vBUF_n&fea...

Return to posts index

Richert Goyette
on May 28, 2013 at 7:44:39 pm

As is mine.

Rich

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 28, 2013 at 8:41:46 pm

**breaking**

response out from adobe in the last hour.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 28, 2013 at 9:30:31 pm

Very good Aindreas! Well, we all know what happened to Marie...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 28, 2013 at 10:02:57 pm

What's amazing is how little buzz Avid gets here - (I'm not a huge fan but cut with in when I have to) if you are a FCP7 refugee, you can grab it for about a 1000.00 -- and the versions don't change substantially from one to the other....yet few are saying "Avid here i come"

The problem is Adobe has created a terrific set of tools that many of can't work without (or haven't found reasonable replacements) and the Cloud blindsided so many people (as the FCP X transition did) that everyone's discombobulated. Whether Adobe makes it's numbers will determine whether they stick by the cloud or offer other options

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 28, 2013 at 10:29:18 pm

re: avid. No it'll be perfect - avid gets delisted from nasdaq, reveals massive hidden losses, it turns out it was being bankrolled by a colombian drug cartel, they face federal charges, all their material is confiscated, the company goes into liquidation, by now all the hollywood editors are gone completely catatonic, with their eyes whited out muttering "no nononononono" - they're now all being kept in a temporary warehouse by social services. All hollywood editing grinds to a halt.

then Apple discontinues X citing "we were sick of the abuse - you can all get stuffed." Bill Davis goes Michael Douglas Postal at this point.

then adobe announce revised pricing for CC at the newly competitive 150 dollars a month citing "internet delivery marketing costs"
also in an unusual twist the same CC is priced at 825 euro a month. adobe cite "localisation costs" for the seeming price disparity.

then the gates of hell actually open and this long nightmare is finally over.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 28, 2013 at 11:18:42 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "then the gates of hell actually open and this long nightmare is finally over."

Don't get my hopes up!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 29, 2013 at 1:05:12 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "then Apple discontinues X citing "we were sick of the abuse - you can all get stuffed." Bill Davis goes Michael Douglas Postal at this point."

I'm cool with re-creating the MD Postal gig - as long as somebody agrees to give me a check for maybe half of the payday MD got for acting in that lovely film?

I'd demand a coffee date with Ms Zeta Jones as well, just because I understand that asking for unnecessary perks is totally the "hollywood way" of demonstrating personal power - but I think my wife is every bit as hot as CZJ, and my wife has long since learned to tolerate all the stuff about living with me that makes it a major chore, so I'm fine with just the paycheck.

So in your mind movie, A - just let me know the location and my call time.

Ah, Hollywood!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]