FORUMS: list search recent posts

So, $1200 a year, right?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Marshall
So, $1200 a year, right?
on May 27, 2013 at 10:24:08 pm

I'm still not clear on what you get with the "Complete Individual" plan. As far as I can tell you can install the suite of programs on two computers, but you can't run the same program on both computers at the same time. Is that correct? If so, then we're looking at $1200/year to maintain our current functionality since we have two workstations in our home studio, and there are often times when my wife and I are both running After Effects or Photoshop or Illustrator at the same time. Those are pretty much the only three Adobe programs we run. Maybe I'll get some use out of Premiere since FCP7 is getting long in the tooth.

I don't understand why the "Team" plan is MORE expensive per user than the individual plan ($70/mo. vs. $50/mo.). Yeah, there are some added "features" like storage and management tools for which we will have no use. It seems like you should get a volume discount for multiple users, not a penalty.

And yes, one eleven-hour After Effects job could pay the price of a year's membership for two users. That same job would also pay for our health insurance for a month.

Getting frequent updates to every program Adobe makes is of little value to us. We're still running PS and AI CS5. We skipped AE CS 5.5. We're running AE CS6, though I don't remember why we got around to upgrading that. I generally find that newer versions of AE eliminate features I frequently used (wireframe preview, vector paint, a usable lens blur effect). And after all this time multiprocessing is still a mess.

That said, at some point I don't believe we'll have any choice but to start two subscriptions. Ain't monopolies great?

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
Re: So, $1200 a year, right?
on May 27, 2013 at 11:48:03 pm

I believe you can run on two computers at once. Today I had premiere open on both my computers on the same network and didn't get an error.

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Gerald Goldman
on May 28, 2013 at 12:15:51 am

Yes. You can run two computers at the same time.

Gerald Goldman
Director of Post Production
Grace Creek Media
http://www.gracecreek.com
http://www.sportskool.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on May 28, 2013 at 7:46:55 am

Well, that contradicts this post in the Adobe CC forum, labeled as "Correct" by an Adobe representative:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4379859

In the CC FAQ it says:

Can I use the software I download from Creative Cloud on multiple computers?

Yes, you can use Creative Cloud desktop applications on two computers at once, regardless of operating system, for the individual associated with the Creative Cloud membership. See the product license agreements page for more information.

So if I'm the individual associated with the Creative Cloud membership can my wife run a copy of After Effects on her Mac Pro the same time I'm running After Effects on my Mac Pro? That sounds like two individuals for which we'd need two subscriptions.

I go to the product license agreements page and open the PDF for the Creative Cloud applications. The EULA says this:

2.1.2.3 Subscription Edition. For the Software available on a subscription-basis (“Subscription Edition”), Customer may install and use the Subscription Edition only on the Permitted Number of Compatible Computer during the License Term. Subject to the Permitted Number of Computers for the Subscription Edition, Adobe may allow Customer to install and use the most recent prior version of the Subscription Edition and the current version of the Subscription Edition on the same Computer during the License Term. Customer agrees that Adobe may change the type of Software (such as specific components, versions, platforms, languages, etc.) included in the Subscription Edition at any time and shall not be liable to Customer whatsoever for such change. Ongoing access to a Subscription Edition requires: (a) a recurring Internet connection to activate, renew, and validate the license, (b) Adobe or its authorized reseller’s receipt of recurring subscription payments, and (c) Customer’s agreement to subscription terms and other additional terms and conditions that are available
at http://www.adobe.com/go/paymentterms or at the time of purchase. If Adobe does not receive the recurring subscription payment or cannot validate the license periodically, then the Software may become inactive without additional notice until Adobe receives the payment or validates the license.

So what's the "Permitted number of Compatible Computers"?

The EULA continues:

2.1.3 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the restrictions set forth in Section 2.1.4, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.1 (“Primary User”) may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

So that would indicate that the same software can't be used at the same time on two computers.

This is a pretty big variable. A $600 variable. Why isn't this precisely spelled out?

Shawn Marshall

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on May 28, 2013 at 11:00:15 am

I guess 'technically' that would be true for the boxed set as well.

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 28, 2013 at 12:49:40 pm

See Kevin Monahan's posts in this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/378/755

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on May 28, 2013 at 5:46:27 pm

Walter:

I did see that thread. What concerned me is that there appears to be outdated or contradictory information on the Adobe website. Will this lack of attention to detail be reflected in Adobe's implementation of this Creative Cloud system?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 28, 2013 at 6:52:46 pm

[Shawn Marshall] "What concerned me is that there appears to be outdated or contradictory information on the Adobe website. Will this lack of attention to detail be reflected in Adobe's implementation of this Creative Cloud system?"

Fair enough. Hopefully they'll have it sorted in the next couple weeks when the product actually launches.

I've been on CC for a year now and it's been seamless, for whatever that is worth.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Gerald Goldman
on May 28, 2013 at 12:55:09 pm

I have a CC license that I run on my laptop and a MacPro in the office. Together, on the same network, or apart, all applications have successfully run at the same time.

To use CC, you sign into the Adobe Application Manager with your Adobe ID which is linked to your CC subscription. It does not seem to care what user (from a system standpoint) is using the machine. So, as it currently works, I see no reason why you could not share a single CC subscription to do work on two machines at the same time.

Gerald Goldman
Director of Post Production
Grace Creek Media
http://www.gracecreek.com
http://www.sportskool.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 28, 2013 at 2:45:21 pm

[Shawn Marshall] "Well, that contradicts this post in the Adobe CC forum, labeled as "Correct" by an Adobe representative:"

Shawn,
This is the former EULA, there is a new one now available now.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on May 28, 2013 at 5:53:39 pm

Kevin:

Could you provide a link to the "current" EULA? The one I quoted is from the current Adobe product license agreements page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

It's disconcerting enough that those of us who want to continue using the programs they've been using for 15 years are being forced into this new business model. The lack of clear information regarding how those programs can be installed and used just adds to the anxiety.

Thank you.

Shawn Marshall

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 28, 2013 at 12:53:11 pm

[Shawn Marshall] "I'm still not clear on what you get with the "Complete Individual" plan. As far as I can tell you can install the suite of programs on two computers, but you can't run the same program on both computers at the same time. Is that correct? "

Yes you can run on two computers at the same time, been doing it ever since I switched to the Cloud about 4 or 6 months ago.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on May 28, 2013 at 6:16:08 pm

Thanks for the reply.

So do you designate your company name as the "individual," or just yourself, or what?

How do you handle plugins? In addition to our two licenses each of After Effects, Photoshop, etc., we also have two licenses for all of our plugins. As an example, Red Giant explicitly says:

You may install one license (serial number) on two systems if one is a desktop and one is a laptop. If you need to install on two desktop systems then another license would be required, for example. A summary of our EULA term is included below.

So in the future we'd have one Complete Individual plan that allows us to run After Effects on both of our Mac Pros at the same time, but we'd still have to maintain two licenses for the Trapcode products, Zaxwerks, Knoll Light Factory, etc? That seems a little counter-intuititve.

Shawn Marshall

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 29, 2013 at 12:07:30 am

Right now it's just my individual license for my home and office computer. We'll switch over to Teams when CC releases.

With Plug-Ins I have a license for each and every workstation that uses it. That's the same as always and has absolutely nothing to do with Adobe Creative Cloud.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Adams Wood
on Aug 14, 2014 at 9:19:41 pm

Is it still true that you can run CC on 2 computers at the same time?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:19:02 pm
Last Edited By Steve Connor on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:19:55 pm

Yes, two at a time, ANY two computers. You can change which ones relatively easily

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]