Wozniak on the Cloud-Business Insider

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
Wozniak on the Cloud-Business Insider
on May 25, 2013 at 2:20:03 am

http://tinyurl.com/d3vx4xu

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Wozniak on the Cloud-Business Insider
on May 25, 2013 at 2:56:40 am

So I guess everyone should stop using email servies they don't host themselves, storage services like Dropbox, video services like YouTube, syncing services like iCloud... Google Docs? Nope. Spoitfy? Nope. Kindles? Burn those too.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 25, 2013 at 3:14:15 am

We're not talking about email or ebooks here. I think his concerns are real, especially when it comes to your own intellectual property. It's being debated here on this forum. I'll keep my important work locally and FTP securely with my clients, thanks. Doesn't mean I'm going to avoid the internet. Collaboration is a very good thing remotely, but I'm not going to be storing gigabytes of importance online with companies that really have no vested interest. Local storage is too cheap, and connections are too slow, at least in the immediate future, for most of us. Of course cloud based storage concerns have their reputations to uphold, but that's not insurance enough for me.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 25, 2013 at 6:13:16 am

I think his concerns are real too that's why I don't understand why you don't think Woz isn't talking about things like email or digital media. The article says he talks about digital property in the cloud and ownership over it and currently we have limited rights to digital media compared to physical versions of the same thing. For example, I can resell a CD but I can't resell songs bought from iTunes. Is the IP contained in email not as important as the IP contained in a MOV file or a PSD?

This is in the CC Debate forum so I assume you are trying to make a point about what Adobe may or may not due in the future but you are seemingly trying to make a point about what may or may not happen tomorrow while overlooking what has already happened and what is currently happening.

[Gustavo Bermudas] "I think the Cloud could be beneficial as a way to have redundancy assets if your system fails, for example, music that I buy through Amazon can be re-downloaded if I lose it, but relying entirely on the cloud sooner or later you're going to have problems, and what's worse, nobody is going to be responsible if all your digital life gets wiped out, is not like a bank where there is a federal protection for your money."

Well, yeah, if you only have 1 copy of your things (regardless of where that copy is) you are going to have problems. Local storage fails and every cloud service (from Dropbox to your email provider) states they have no liability if something happens and they lose all your data. That's why when people we like "OMG, did you read the Creative Cloud ToS agreement!?!?" I was like, have you read the ToS agreement for any service you are currently using? They all absolve themselves from liability.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 27, 2013 at 9:01:09 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "We're not talking about email or ebooks here. I think his concerns are real, especially when it comes to your own intellectual property. "

Precisely what he's talking about. Your OWN intellectual property such as project files, graphics, photos, documents,etc... that's what he's talking about, things YOU create yourself. Not software.

Software that you purchase is not YOUR intellectual property. That is the intellectual property of the software manufacturer. You simply get a license to use it through your purchase price, but it's not yours to own.

You're using Woz's statement about intellectual property to come into a software ownership debate and those are two wholly different things. You've never owned your Adobe software, you have been licensing it as Aharon Rabinowitz so eloquently reminded all of us in his blog.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 27, 2013 at 9:56:26 pm

Walter, I think everyone is aware we are licensing most if not all of the software we own. The difference is that it doesn't disappear when we quit paying monthly or annually. As long as you own a computer capable of running, it, it will be usable. It is, at least in effect, owning it in comparison to renting even if it is only the license.

However, there is the aspect of your intellectual property residing in the cloud, your files and projects, that is on Adobe's servers if you choose to use remote storage with CC, up to 200 GB, I believe. According to the EULA, that will disappear after a grace period if you don't continue to pay for it. Then there could be accidental erasures or networking accidents. That has apparently happened to many on various respected cloud services. Any of these things could happen with no recourse according to the EULA. There are also forward looking statements from some in Adobe management that the cloud will be of much more importance to their plans for CC going forward. I think what he said and his general negative attitude toward the cloud has application to that potentiality and the others above.

The reason I posted this quote from Woz was to call attention to his essential mistrust of the cloud as a model in general, where assets that are important to you are not under your direct control and are subject to potential loss and possible hacking or misuse without remedy. I think it also goes to possible problems with activation and access to the software itself, even if the programs, at least for now, reside on the local computer.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 28, 2013 at 12:51:46 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "However, there is the aspect of your intellectual property residing in the cloud, your files and projects, that is on Adobe's servers if you choose to use remote storage with CC, up to 200 GB, I believe. According to the EULA, that will disappear after a grace period if you don't continue to pay for it. Then there could be accidental erasures or networking accidents."

Only a business fool would put all of their materials ONLY on the Cloud. Absolutely those materials will be erased from the servers if you stop paying for it, just like we erase original materials from clients who don't want to pay for us to archive the materials. If they don't get any hard drives or other means to back up the footage, it's gone.

Just like all those review files I have sitting on ScreenLight right now, those will disappear the moment I stop paying $99 a month for their services.

The only thing we put up remotely are backups of project files and that's it. All media and anything else that is important stays right here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 28, 2013 at 5:07:51 pm

I would never put client material on the internet. Certainly not anything valuable of my own. That kind of narrows it down for me. I have to believe there are others who feel this way. Including Woz.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 28, 2013 at 5:26:26 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "I would never put client material on the internet. Certainly not anything valuable of my own. That kind of narrows it down for me. I have to believe there are others who feel this way. Including Woz."

Yep, again you're talking your own stuff, your own intellectual property. Has Woz actually commented on Cloud software delivery / Cloud software subscription? Do have a link to that?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 28, 2013 at 5:34:19 pm

If you read this, his tone was pretty clear. I have no objection to cloud distribution. Almost all the software I use now is downloaded. My objection is to the rent it or lose it model ("Cloud Subscription"). Don't know about Woz, but I think one could read between the lines there.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 25, 2013 at 4:40:15 am

[Andrew Kimery] "So I guess everyone should stop using email servies they don't host themselves, storage services like Dropbox, video services like YouTube, syncing services like iCloud... Google Docs? Nope. Spoitfy? Nope. Kindles? Burn those too."

Actually, in a way, yeah, sort of...

Hotmail one time wiped my entire account, my inbox went from thousands to zero in one second, never was able to retrieve those.

Also I just found out that my yahoo keeps emails up to 10 years.
(I still don't keep emails locally though I should)

Dropbox, my hard drive died, I did a time capsule restore from a week ago, then Dropbox synched to what I had there, instead of the other way around, that week was lost.

Youtube and spotify is radio and TV, so nothing to own there.

I think the Cloud could be beneficial as a way to have redundancy assets if your system fails, for example, music that I buy through Amazon can be re-downloaded if I lose it, but relying entirely on the cloud sooner or later you're going to have problems, and what's worse, nobody is going to be responsible if all your digital life gets wiped out, is not like a bank where there is a federal protection for your money.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 26, 2013 at 9:19:51 pm

Jim, love the links, but how about a bit of your opinion or a great quote from the article so we have some idea what the idea is, or what you took away? I have to read all the threads before I decide if it's worth reading. Just tell me what it's about!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 26, 2013 at 10:21:33 pm

Hi Rich,

From Business Insider:

Steve Wozniak: Cloud Computing Will Cause 'Horrible Problems In The Next Five Years'

Steve Wozniak really, really doesn't like the cloud.

The Apple cofounder slammed cloud computing during a Q&A after a recent performance of The Agony And The Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, the controversial play by Mike Daisy.
"I really worry about everything going to the cloud," Wozniak told the audience, according to a transcript from Agence France-Presse. "I think it's going to be horrendous. I think there are going to be a lot of horrible problems in the next five years."
Wozniak didn't offer much in the way of specifics about what these "horrible problems" would be, but he did hint at concerns about signing away rights to digital property stored in the cloud and generally losing ownership of that property.
"I want to feel that I own things," Wozniak said at the event. "A lot of people feel, 'Oh, everything is really on my computer,' but I say the more we transfer everything onto the web, onto the cloud, the less we're going to have control over it."

They also say he has problems with Siri, and likes the Surface. He was at a play that criticizes Apples labor practices, but gives on opinion on that subject.

I fully agree with his opinion of the cloud.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 28, 2013 at 3:22:37 am

I can think of a monstrously huge reason to be wary of the cloud and I csn sum it up in five words.

True data security doesn't exist.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 28, 2013 at 6:12:10 am

[Dave LaRonde] "True data security doesn't exist."

It doesn't. Yet I'm sure you, along with 99.9% of the people living in first world countries, have private info stored in computers that are connected to the internet. Banks, credit cards, DMV info, paper work submitted to human resources, student records, online transactions, email accounts, etc.,. yet Adobe's subscription model is the straw that breaks the camel's back?

You can steal my identity but you'll have to prise my AE project files from my cold, dead hands! ;)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 28, 2013 at 1:00:03 pm

absolutely brilliant observation Andrew. Never even thought of it that way.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 28, 2013 at 7:32:03 pm

[walter biscardi] "absolutely brilliant observation Andrew. Never even thought of it that way."

At first I didn't either. People talking about the Cloud (I mean in general, not just CC) and it seemed always to be in reference to cloud storage or cloud computing or streaming music and movies but anyone using email services like Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc., have been trusting their private and personal info to 'the cloud' for well over a decade in some cases. Years ago I worked for a large company and some employee info was put at risk when HR got hacked. If we jotted down all the organizations (from banks, to former employers, to utility companies) that have our private info on file it's pretty amazing that by and large people's private info remains private.

We trust in each other to do the obey the rules and due the right thing and thankfully that's the case the majority of the time.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 28, 2013 at 10:49:48 pm

"Hacker Claims to Have Breached Adobe" NY Times, November 14, 2012

"A hacker who said he was Egyptian posted a message on Pastebin with links to hundreds of records that he said belonged to Adobe employees and users of the company’s software, including employees of Google, NASA and the United States military, as well as academic institutions. The hacker claimed to have pilfered the records from an Adobe server which, he said, had records for some 150,000 Adobe employees and clients.....

The hacker claimed to have alerted Adobe about the breach and said he carried it out, in part, to expose the company’s slow response time. In a message alongside the data dump, he complained that it took the company five to seven days to respond to vulnerability reports and another three to four months to patch them."

Full story http://tinyurl.com/oot7o7d

Hmm...

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 29, 2013 at 12:05:14 am

Apple hacked:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/19/tech/web/apple-hacked

Yahoo hacked:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/12/tech/web/yahoo-users-hacked

Sony's online PlayStation Network hacked:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/psn-hacked

A payment processing firm servicing ALL major credit card companies hacked:
http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/30/technology/credit-card-data-breach/index.ht...

Microsoft hacked:
http://www.besttechie.com/2013/02/22/microsoft-hacked-joins-the-growing-lis...

Journalist's Apple, Amazon, Twitter and Google accounts compromised and erased due to then inherent flaws in 'connecting' accounts & account security:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

ATM/CC skimming is all the rage now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_fraud#Skimming

Equifax (one of the 3 credit reporting agencies) hacked:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/equifax-confirms-hackers-stole-financial-dat...

Universal Music Group and Viacom hacked:
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/93274/wsj-hackers-release-u...

Payroll company hacked:
http://www.scmagazine.com/payroll-processing-firm-ceridian-corp-hacked/arti...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 29, 2013 at 12:08:09 am

Are you inside my brain Andrew? That was creepy with the dual responses like that almost identical.......

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 29, 2013 at 12:05:44 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Hmm..."

Hackers breach US Weapons Designs: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/chinese-hackers-breach-key-u-weapons-des...

VeriSign breached: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/verisign-hack_n_1249275.html

First National Bank of Texas Breached, Social Security Numbers stolen: http://www.cyberwarnews.info/2013/04/01/first-national-bank-texas-hacked-so...

$45 million hacked from banks worldwide in a matter of minutes: http://phys.org/news/2013-05-hackers-stole-million-atm-card.html

Anonymous hacked Bank of America: http://www.vice.com/read/anonymous-hacked-bank-of-america

Apple employee computers were hacked: http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/19/tech/web/apple-hacked

Microsoft employee computers were hacked: http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/microsoft-hacked-joins-appl...

Apple was hacked again: http://www.crn.com/news/security/240151620/apple-password-reset-apparently-...

Sony was hacked multiple times in short succession in 2011: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/05/sony-online-entertainment-hack/

Wells Fargo Hacked: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2209403/Wells-Fargo-reveal-website-...

XBox Live Accounts Hacked: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/20/microsoft-xbox-live-accounts-hacked/

160,000 Social Security Numbers exposed in Washington DC: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/160-000-social-security-numbers-exposed-w...

3.8 million Social Security Numbers hacked in South Carolina: http://www.thestate.com/2012/10/26/2496396/south-carolina-taxpayers-privacy...

Hmmmmmm, looks like there's a lot of folks out there hacking into a lot of servers, not just Adobe's.

Anytime you've ever banked, gotten a driver's license, paid for something with your credit card, traveled, or in general just going about your life, you've exposed your most sensitive data about yourself to potential hackers. Hell we had to replace 5 credit cards at my company over the past year alone due to folks stealing our information.

Saying "hmmmmmm" because Adobe has experienced a hack in the Creative Cloud is just trying to add fuel to your already set fire, but doesn't offer anything new.

The fact of the matter is, any data on any server is a target for someone. Just depends on whether or not they can crack into the system. Give someone enough time to fiddle around with codes and they'll figure a way into the system.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 29, 2013 at 12:12:56 am

Thanks for making my point about web security guys. Of course it's not just Adobe. But it certainly was in this case. We all could list hundreds of breaches. Thought it was interesting it took Adobe 3-4 months to fix security problems even after they were notified according to this hacker. Don't really want my serial #s and PWs exposed. Sounds like it could cause some confusion. Bottom line, the web is not secure. You can't count on the kindness of strangers.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 29, 2013 at 12:17:57 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Don't really want my serial #s and PWs exposed."

You're worried about your Serial Number and Password? That's the LEAST of my concerns when it comes to the cloud. Wow, someone gets my account information and what do they get? One month of Adobe Creative Cloud.

How about your bank account, social security number and credit card numbers? Hope you haven't let anyone store that information anywhere, say like your bank or the DMV.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 29, 2013 at 12:31:53 am

The point is that Adobe's security seems to be especially bad, at least in this example. Also your bank account is protected by Federal law. If you read the comments to the article you see the strong protections banks and other institutions take that are extreme in comparison. Because in most cases they have a fiduciary responsibility. Adobe specifically takes no responsibility for whatever is put on their servers, from any sort of loss or damage or erasure. What happens if you try to sign in and someone has deactivated your account and taken it over? A big inconvenience at best with possible missed deadlines. Hopefully there are protections against this, but to me this is an important illustration of weaknesses in the cloud model. Especially when some of the executing code moves there as was quoted in an earlier thread. All of creative Cloud and it's offspring is not going to exist on your local computer in the future.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 29, 2013 at 1:09:17 am

[Jim Wiseman] "The point is that Adobe's security seems to be especially bad, at least in this example."

And everyone else's security was poor in the examples Andrew and I pointed out. There are thousands more examples.

[Jim Wiseman] "Also your bank account is protected by Federal law. "

It sure it and the onus is on the account holder to get their entire financial house in order. I'm sure you've read the numerous identity theft stories of folks who have spent many years trying to "revive themselves from the dead" or at the very least get their finances back after their bank accounts were wiped out due to folks who stole their identity or simply hacked their bank accounts. Sure it's protected by Federal Law, but you still have to go after the accounts yourself.

[Jim Wiseman] "What happens if you try to sign in and someone has deactivated your account and taken it over? A big inconvenience at best with possible missed deadlines."

I have 90 days to get that issue fixed since the software will continue to run without checking in to the Cloud. Additionally, I would have received an email from Adobe telling me that my account was deactivated, did I mean to do that.

Additionally I'll be on the phone and live chat with Adobe the moment I find out something like this has happened.

Keep beating the doomsday drums Jim. Shit IS going to happen with the Cloud, no doubt about that, but as with everything, they'll find the problem and adjust as necessary. If you are THAT concerned about it, I sincerely hope you're looking to other alternatives because all indications I'm seeing are that Adobe is going to hold to the Cloud only model. With X I didn't bother to wait for the inevitable when it was clear X was staying and nothing was going to bring the 7 model back.

I wish you the best, but I'm going to bow out of this thread, no use continuing this discussion.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 29, 2013 at 1:17:29 am

Walter,

I hacked your brain!!!

[Jim Wiseman] "Adobe specifically takes no responsibility for whatever is put on their servers, from any sort of loss or damage or erasure. What happens if you try to sign in and someone has deactivated your account and taken it over? A big inconvenience at best with possible missed deadlines."

Jim,

I think you've already been living with those fears w/o realizing it. Ever since Adobe started using the activation servers and allowing users to activate/deactivate their apps you have been subject to the possibility of a hacker deactivating your software. I'm not sure if you are an Apple user or not but if you have an Apple ID (which you need to for iTunes Music Store, App Store, etc.,) and someone gains control of your account they can easily remotely wipe all of your Apple devices associated with that account. Which is exactly want happend to the journalist in one of my links. His iPhone, Macbook Pro and iPad were all totally erased remotely using built in software designed to allow users to remotely wipe their devices if they are physically stolen.

Also, no company offering cloud services takes liability for your data. If your email provider has a glitch that erases all your email they are not liable. Cloud storage from MS, Apple, Amazon, Dropbox, etc.? Not liable.

In terms of data security I guess I don't see Adobe as being generally any more or less of a risk than any of the other companies I have accounts with.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 29, 2013 at 2:01:57 am

What you say is absolutely true, Andrew. It just seems CC is going to eventually open things up to many more problems than activation. It's ironic that the wiping example of the Apple devices was the result of an intended security measure to allow you to protect your data by erasing them if your computer, iPhone, etc., were stolen. The victim was a writer for Wired who watched as those devices were erased in front of his eyes as he helplessly tried to get control of a new password to prevent it. When he went to the cloud to restore them, he found they had been synced with his files removed! Backup gone. A potentially great feature turned Frankenstein. When things go wrong in the cloud they can go wrong big time, even with the best of intentions. Of course cloud computing isn't going away. I just believe limiting your exposure is prudent. Since the cloud operators don't take responsibilty, I feel that I'll have to be more careful. Thanks for your comments.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 29, 2013 at 1:43:04 am

Walking away from Adobe will hardly be doomsday the way they have set things up. Sad, but not doomsday. Hope they come to their senses. The Cloud is just a side issue compared to the rental model where everything goes poof when you stop paying. Glad to have you back after three weeks, Walter. Honestly.This forum has come a long way from the "Chopped Liver" thread. See below, way below...

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]