FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe needs to implement open interchange formats in CC

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Adobe needs to implement open interchange formats in CC
on May 23, 2013 at 5:37:51 pm

One of the biggest problems with the CC model, apart from the fact that you are paying a lot more than you did earlier, is that Adobe ties you in with their proprietary formats. This means that you have to maintain a subscription, if you want to access your own work.

But there is a solution to that. For example if I work in Adobe Photoshop, I can open my PSD files in many other programs. Maybe some of the rich features are not transferable, but basically it has become a market standard.

Adobe needs to do the same for their other programs. XML already gives us export capability from Premiere Pro, but we loose any formatting that has been created. The solution would be to create an open enhanced XML format, that allows transformations and color settings to travel across.

Open standards save the day, when a program (or provider) cannot do everything, or behaves erratically.

I think it is fair to demand open interchange formats implemented ion ALL Adobes programs!

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adobe needs to implement open interchange formats in CC
on May 23, 2013 at 6:44:35 pm

It's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

For one thing, there are a lot of things that simply wouldn't work. To stabilize shots, for example, AE uses Warp Stabilizer and Apple Motion uses Smoothcam (I think), two very different ways of approaching the same problem.

I also don't think Adobe would willingly cut its throat by acceding to customer demands for open standards. Not when it has such a stranglehold in some areas of creative work.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 23, 2013 at 8:20:25 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I also don't think Adobe would willingly cut its throat by acceding to customer demands for open standards. Not when it has such a stranglehold in some areas of creative work."

What do you think their motivation for documenting the PSD file format was? I agree that switching to open standards probably won't happen but if they just documented their other file formats that would probably be good enough, IMO. Sure, not everything will translate but not everything translates but it would give people a somewhat painless way to get their project files to open up in other programs.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 23, 2013 at 11:11:08 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Sure, not everything will translate but not everything translates but it would give people a somewhat painless way to get their project files to open up in other programs."

Not easy if you want to take advantage of some of the big benefits of the Adobe ecosystem. Forget about Dynamic Link, for example.

I think open standards are a fantastic thing and totally support them. But relying on interchange only gets you so far and doesn't address the main problem people have with Adobe's rental scheme.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 23, 2013 at 11:41:41 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Adobe needs to do the same for their other programs. XML already gives us export capability from Premiere Pro, but we loose any formatting that has been created. The solution would be to create an open enhanced XML format, that allows transformations and color settings to travel across."

They already have this in the form of AAF. That's far more sophisticated than XML, is an actual standard that numerous companies use and can also contain embedded media. Adobe already gained access to the people who probably know the most about AAF interchange, when they picked up the services of Wes Plate and his dad (Automatic Duck). The downside of AAF, is that companies are allowed to keep a certain amount of metadata "dark" (proprietary). For example. effects parameters might only be readable by other Adobe apps, but not Avid or Quantel. It's up to each company to decide how open it wants to be.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on May 24, 2013 at 1:32:15 am

[Oliver Peters] "
They already have this in the form of AAF."

Of course everyone is going to remember to export every single project they've ever worked on as an AAF file. For this reason interchange formats do not solve this problem. You should be able to convert or open a Premiere Project without needing Premiere.

I'm doubtful this will ever happen.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 24, 2013 at 1:36:05 am

[Brett Sherman] "Of course everyone is going to remember to export every single project they've ever worked on as an AAF file. For this reason interchange formats do not solve this problem. You should be able to convert or open a Premiere Project without needing Premiere.
"

Why not? Just make it part of your prep when completing a project.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 24, 2013 at 11:26:19 pm

[Oliver Peters] "They already have this in the form of AAF. That's far more sophisticated than XML, is an actual standard that numerous companies use and can also contain embedded media."

There is an AAF-XML proposed. They may be waiting for that.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 24, 2013 at 1:11:15 am

[David Lawrence] "I think open standards are a fantastic thing and totally support them. But relying on interchange only gets you so far and doesn't address the main problem people have with Adobe's rental scheme."

Better than starting from zero though. And, honestly, I don't see Adobe backing down from the rental scheme. They might add in some other plans to allow for more pricing options (an option to 'buy out' old versions would be nice too) but it sounds like with additional services they plan to offer that they are all in on moving towards this model.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 24, 2013 at 1:36:16 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Better than starting from zero though. And, honestly, I don't see Adobe backing down from the rental scheme. They might add in some other plans to allow for more pricing options (an option to 'buy out' old versions would be nice too) but it sounds like with additional services they plan to offer that they are all in on moving towards this model."

Definitely better than starting from zero, but still not enough. And yeah, it's clear Adobe is fully invested in pushing their new strategy. No doubt they have interesting plans for the future. But right now, I find it ironic that they're going out of their way to emphasize that the programs load onto your hard drive and you do *not* need to be online to use them.

[Todd Kopriva] "Mike is talking about extending Photoshop to _also_ be on the cloud, not crippling the desktop application by removing local components. Nothing is being taken away here; benefits are being added, and many of those are for connected computers."

Those benefits may be great but they're entirely optional. The only reason Creative Cloud current requires the internet is for the monthly rent check. They need to offer something we can keep after investing thousands of dollars. Either perpetual licenses or a loyalty buy-out. But something.

It doesn't matter how publicly committed Adobe is to their new rental model. When sales collapse, they'll change their tune faster than you can say "New Coke".

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 24, 2013 at 2:36:49 am

[David Lawrence] "It doesn't matter how publicly committed Adobe is to their new rental model. When sales collapse, they'll change their tune faster than you can say "New Coke"."

Exactly. If enough people who actually have a problem will just forgo CC, you can bet this will change.

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on May 24, 2013 at 4:12:26 am

There are a number of web-based features and services on Creative Cloud that require internet use besides the licensing. However, I understand not many of those apply for many editors - Adobe Story, traveling preferences and, once it's available/fixed, perhaps cloud space may be of some interest however.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 24, 2013 at 10:35:51 pm

They had an Open Interchange Format. It was called Creative Suite...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 25, 2013 at 2:24:23 pm

Naive request.
An open standard would kill one of the Golden Eggs geese.
Where is the benefit for Adobe on you to being able to open a PP project on any other NLE?
Incompatibility (sockets, batteries, lens mounts, tapes, interfaces, plugins..) is an important source of revenues for the industry.
In the other hand, an "universal format" couldn't be developed by only one of the players.
If you suggest Adobe, Avid and Apple joining together to develop a model, probably they would laugh.
rafael

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 26, 2013 at 4:28:30 pm

An open PP project format is NOT what I am asking for. I am referring to an enhanced XML format that lets transformation and basic color correction travel along the clips.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]