FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Premiere Pro CC for Broadcasters

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Adobe Premiere Pro CC for Broadcasters
on May 8, 2013 at 3:15:38 am

Excellent article from Dennis Radeke on some key areas where Premiere Pro CC is even better suited broadcasters with improvements from CS6. The native DNxHD MXF Decode / Encode is SWEET (yes NATIVE Avid Files!) along with the closed captioning support are huge.

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2013/05/premiere-pro-cc-for-broadcast...

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC for Broadcasters
on May 8, 2013 at 3:20:02 am

Yes Walter, I'm sure they are nice features. I thought they would be available in a perpetual license. Adobe didn't have the nerve to tell the truth to me or the broadcasters at NAB. Bet they would have preferred the upgrade price from CS6 to what we have ended up with.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 8, 2013 at 3:29:27 am

[Jim Wiseman] " Bet they would have preferred the upgrade price from CS6 to what we have ended up with."

500,000 Creative Cloud Users and counting vs. some very unhappy folks. Yes, this IS very much like the original FCP X debacle except the Cloud already had a head start and has FAR exceeded what Adobe projected to this point. Probably what pushed Adobe to go Cloud only because the acceptance rate has been extremely positive.

If you look on this forum you see about 10 people making the majority of negative opinions on here. I'm kind of seeing the same thing on Twitter. About 20 people making the same arguments over and over while many MANY more folks who have already switched to the Cloud are talking the new features.

The Cloud is here and it's certainly not going away. Apple never blinked and I'm sure Adobe had full expectations of a firestorm when they pulled the licenses. I really don't expect Adobe to blink either. I'm sure they're prepared to lose a segment of their user base and over the long haul they're user base will increase over what it is today.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 8, 2013 at 3:42:04 am

And all of those 500,000 users (Adobe's figures) thought they could have a fallback to a perpetual license until yesterday. They didn't know for certain they would have to pay Adobe forever to have access to their work. A monthly payment has appeal in the short term. Why not announce it at NAB? You know why. They would have been lambasted in a media spotlight and a user revolt. It is not just a few people on all the forums I've looked at today. It's hundreds. Surely there must be some middle ground here. Just why do I have to do CC or have no future whatsoever with Adobe? CS6 will do for the rest of my career perhaps because I use other NLE's as well, but I expect more from the companies I trust with my work. I want to be included in the upgrade party without losing my rights. I fully expected to pay, but only once.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 8, 2013 at 4:29:20 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Why not announce it at NAB? "

Has Adobe ever announced pricing and availability at NAB? I know for a fact that they did not last year. They offered a sneak peak of the video stuff, then officially announced in late April, then shipped in May, very similarly to this year.

CC was announced this week at Adobe MAX -- Adobe's own user conference, with plenty of opportunity for media spotlight and user reaction. There's more to Creative Suite / Creative Cloud than video, and their schedule is just not dictated by NAB.

I do understand why you're upset, but I don't think the timing of the announcement was some kind of a plot to pull a fast one.

[walter biscardi] "The native DNxHD MXF Decode / Encode is SWEET (yes NATIVE Avid Files!) along with the closed captioning support are huge."

And smart rendering for DNxHD in MXF and MOV -- big deal for people used to rendering while editing and getting fast output like FCP7.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 8, 2013 at 4:59:25 am

I understand Walter. What you say is true. I just thought it was rather ironic to be touting the advantages to broadcasters a month after the biggest convention of them. From what I've understood they were quite circumspect about their intentions with the Suite. Many people seem to have been lead to believe that perpetual licenses would continue there. I can't say for sure as I did not attend this year. This change to subscription or the highway is somewhat more radical than their usual releases, and some forthrightness would have been appreciated. Maybe they didn't relish a replay of what happened to Apple at the 2011 users meeting.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 8, 2013 at 7:17:12 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Many people seem to have been lead to believe that perpetual licenses would continue there. I can't say for sure as I did not attend this year. "

I, for one, can say that I was, but I truly believe it was an earnest mistake on the part of some of the presenters and floor personnel who just assumed that there would be the same CS progression there had been in the past. I don't think it was in any way intentional, and the folks who I believe, in retrospect, knew or had some idea, were very adamant that the demos were not to be referred to as CS7.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 8, 2013 at 11:41:37 am

[Jim Wiseman] "From what I've understood they were quite circumspect about their intentions with the Suite. Many people seem to have been lead to believe that perpetual licenses would continue there. I can't say for sure as I did not attend this year. This change to subscription or the highway is somewhat more radical than their usual releases, and some forthrightness would have been appreciated. Maybe they didn't relish a replay of what happened to Apple at the 2011 users meeting."

Jim, I agree with you it seems awkward to tease new features before publishing pricing and availability information -- but I guess the alternative would have been no new information at all at NAB? I don't know what the best way to have handled this would have been, but I do understand why it was done the way it was.

I don't think this was some kind of scheme to avoid public critique. They announced the changes with CC at their main keynote presentation at their own conference in front of a live audience of 5,000 and a web audience of a zillion (I'm estimating that last figure). For better or worse, it's all over the industry and mainstream computing press. Announcing CC at NAB would have ruined their announcement at MAX.

CC is pretty controversial, and it seems a good number of users are unsettled by the subscription licensing -- but at the same time, the idea of integrating the software products with live services is very innovative in our content creation space and there is a lot of potential that I'm excited about.

I certainly understand the downsides and I respect the decision anyone may make about if CC is right or wrong for them -- but this is not just an announcement about new pricing. It's a major launch of the next generation of Adobe's tools, and it's just as big as the launch of Creative Suite itself a decade ago.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 8, 2013 at 2:16:11 pm

[Walter Soyka] "CC is pretty controversial, and it seems a good number of users are unsettled by the subscription licensing"

And here are some early numbers that attest to that.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 8, 2013 at 2:09:10 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "This change to subscription or the highway is somewhat more radical than their usual releases, and some forthrightness would have been appreciated."

I certainly would have appreciate it.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 8, 2013 at 7:05:07 am

[Walter Soyka] "[walter biscardi] "The native DNxHD MXF Decode / Encode is SWEET (yes NATIVE Avid Files!) along with the closed captioning support are huge."

And smart rendering for DNxHD in MXF and MOV -- big deal for people used to rendering while editing and getting fast output like FCP7."

This stuff is huge for me, and makes it so much easier to go back and forth between the two platforms. If I could only keep one thing in this upgrade, it would be this.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 8, 2013 at 12:46:32 pm

[Chris Harlan] "This stuff is huge for me, and makes it so much easier to go back and forth between the two platforms. If I could only keep one thing in this upgrade, it would be this."

Wait till you see how fast Premiere Pro CC is all around. It's incredible to go look at my checklist of annoyances and "why can't they fix this" from CS6 and find that about 85% or so of them are checked off in CC.

Add the speed boost event without nVidia CUDA and it's a solid home run by Adobe. Can't wait to get this in June and get it running across the board here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 8, 2013 at 2:05:44 pm

[Walter Soyka] " but I don't think the timing of the announcement was some kind of a plot to pull a fast one."

You are entitled to your opinion. I agree with Jims analysis. The secrecy was palpable at NAB. And so was the cloud hard sell.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 8, 2013 at 12:43:31 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "And all of those 500,000 users (Adobe's figures) thought they could have a fallback to a perpetual license until yesterday."

We did? That's an awfully big assumption on your part. For my part, nope, I fully expected stand alone versions to go away. This has been pretty obvious for the past year.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 8, 2013 at 2:01:31 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "users (Adobe's figures) thought they could have a fallback to a perpetual license until yesterday."

Jim, heres a good beginning indication of how many people about this situation.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 2:44:00 pm

[Tom Daigon] "Jim, heres a good beginning indication of how many people about this situation."

Internet polls are usually so easily gamed that I dismiss them outright.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 9, 2013 at 5:29:57 pm

[Gary Huff] "Internet polls are usually so easily gamed that I dismiss them outright."

It's not just that they're easily gamed. Internet polling is the OPPOSITE of information. It actually interferes with the gathering of data that means anything.

I'll put it this way: my general rule of thumb is, however long it took you to create the poll is how long I'm going to take to evaluate your results.

Maybe it's because I've done so much polling, on a variety of topics in different jobs I've had, over more than 30 years. It's haaaaaaard to do well. (How many really good polls last election season? One. Not two or ten. One.)

Coming up with the right sample is even harder than the actual poll, and clearly no work has been put into either of those for almost any online poll. Your guess is as good as mine whether it's actual people clicking because they want to say something, or chimps clicking because they want more crack.

Today's online poll tools are strictly click bait, but as such, they're a gas. I love 'em. The big poll I saw this morning is, would you rather have breakfast with George or sing along with Paul?

Well? Which is it? For me, it's breakfast with Paul, which tells you a problem with that poll from the start. LOL Frankly, I've yet to see an online poll that's any more sophisticated than that, or whose results should be taken any more seriously.

This particular poll we're talking about, the title may as well begin with "Angry Guys Say." Not "Adobe Customers Say." No way to tell the correlation between those couple of hundred clicks and anybody who has bought or will buy ANYTHING. The correlation between clicks and outrage, though = 96%, with a margin of error of +/- 4%. Not news.

The real takeaway is, too bad Adobe didn't do any research before they did this. Very much in keeping with their poor business sense and anti-customer stance. That's Adobe alright. LOL

Adobe has a 30 year history of getting things right, both for themselves and their customers. Despite some real agony at the time, and obviously some immediate loss of customers, even a move as drastic as keeping Premiere Pro off Mac for FOUR YEARS worked out GREAT, ESPECIALLY for most Mac users.

Today's turbulence notwithstanding, there's precisely nothing in Adobe's history to suggest they don't know how to take care of their customers in the long run.

Agree or disagree with me on the value of internet polling...but I'm right LOL...and I'm definitely keeping my eye more closely tuned to the George/Paul/breakfast/singalong outcome.

Anyway, I'd hope I shouldn't have to mention that I'm speaking solely for myself here. My general rule of thumb is no sig = not speaking for the COW...but I just want to be clear. I'm a chimp, not a cow.

Return to posts index

Peter John Ross
on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:37:36 am

Yeah, I'm not going to the cloud anytime soon. I've paid for my software legit for over 15 years from Adobe and they are basically losing me as a lifelong customer.

Sonnyboo Productions
http://www.sonnyboo.com

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 8, 2013 at 6:55:13 am

[walter biscardi] "robably what pushed Adobe to go Cloud only because the acceptance rate has been extremely positive"

Yeah, but mostly were paying $29.99, now it's $49.99, that's $600 /year for an upgrade lots of people were doing once every couple, maybe three years, if it justified. Lots of people still running CS5.
And there's no point in getting one app for $20, most likely you'll need more than one.
But where they're getting hurt the most is with the new generation of editors, true, a lot of them they're not even paying for it, Photoshop is the most pirated app ever, but also the most popular, I mean, it became a verb.
I just don't see much market adoption with this new model to be honest, I think Lightworks may be NLE winner after all.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 8, 2013 at 8:46:23 am

There are lots of reasons against a subscription model, the cloud, digital-only delivery - much more for books, music, news, movies, etc. because its impact on our culture is huge and imho destructive, there is little talk about all that here on the Cow unfortunately - but price isn't really one of them.
There is an upgrade pricing if you're coming from a previous version of CS - 29.99 for the first year.
But even if we're talking about the full price after that - 49.99 a month. If that amount for a set of tools which are at the core of your work is too expensive you should looks for a different line of work. People want great new features, swift bug fixes, good support, interoperability and pay next to nothing. Can't have it all. Even at twice the price it would still be fine if they deliver good software and support.
We are using apps on a daily basis that have a much, much higher price point - and the support and service (inlcuding custom features and bug-fixes within a day) is on an entirely different level.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 8, 2013 at 2:14:19 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "I just don't see much market adoption with this new model to be honest,"

Gustavo, this early indication seems to bear out your observation.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 8, 2013 at 5:43:04 pm

[Tom Daigon] "Gustavo, this early indication seems to bear out your observation."

Could you post the link where you get that too?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 8, 2013 at 5:52:37 pm

The ongoing straw poll is located here at The Tool Farm.

http://www.toolfarm.com/blog/entry/poll_how_do_you_feel_about_adobe_softwar...

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 8, 2013 at 6:03:24 pm

Tom -

Those 265 votes aren't even a blip in the Margin of Error for any reliable statistic. That horse is dead...I'm just going to ride my CS6 discs into the sunset, and wait until the dust settles on the COW prairie - this stampede is getting pretty tedious...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 8, 2013 at 6:01:58 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "[Tom Daigon] "Gustavo, this early indication seems to bear out your observation."

Could you post the link where you get that too?"

It's on Toolfarm...264 votes total, apparently started back in January, 2013...so it's obviously an extensive sampling.

It's a reach to post that graphic once, quite frankly...Tom has it included in at least 6 or 7 of his posts...without the number of votes cast, which he cropped off the bottom.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 2:45:07 pm

[Tim Kolb] "It's a reach to post that graphic once, quite frankly...Tom has it included in at least 6 or 7 of his posts...without the number of votes cast, which he cropped off the bottom."

Yes, I'm finding it kind of annoying myself because it's evidence of exactly nothing.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 8, 2013 at 3:38:28 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "But where they're getting hurt the most is with the new generation of editors, true, a lot of them they're not even paying for it, Photoshop is the most pirated app ever, but also the most popular,"

Yes, it is...
And I can see where the cloud will really hurt those people with cracked versions.

In another thread a person was quoted from the petition who said they'd been with Adobe CS since v3.5... That would normally be an important customer to listen to...if v3.5 wasn't a pirate version that we ran into fairly frequently back in those days.

So...Adobe should probably have listened more to the people who are stealing the software, or only buying it every 2 or 3 years...

...that's an...um...fresh perspective, I guess.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 8, 2013 at 6:00:30 pm

[Tim Kolb] "Yes, it is...
And I can see where the cloud will really hurt those people with cracked versions.

In another thread a person was quoted from the petition who said they'd been with Adobe CS since v3.5... That would normally be an important customer to listen to...if v3.5 wasn't a pirate version that we ran into fairly frequently back in those days.

So...Adobe should probably have listened more to the people who are stealing the software, or only buying it every 2 or 3 years..."

I think they should have listened to customers first, which clearly were not in support of cloud, I know there are a few graphs bars showing the contrary but everywhere you go is the same discontent, here in the cow and outside. And it's FCPX all over again, there are a few crusaders that support whatever their favorite toy maker makes probably for self popularity reasons I think.

I personally been paying Master edition from CS3, after that, I thought it was a waste of money to put that much money up front so went for Production package, and I did welcome the idea of cloud, and I'm in the 29.99 that's expiring soon, but haven't seen any updates that I find essential to the way I work, so I'm buying CS6 and staying with that until I can't anymore. Also, I don't want to support only cloud subscription, I support giving options, not taking them away.

I think it's a great experiment, and surely many other software companies are watching, I hope they don't follow, because then we will need about $3K a month for renting software.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 8, 2013 at 6:56:44 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "And it's FCPX all over again, there are a few crusaders that support whatever their favorite toy maker makes probably for self popularity reasons I think."

Well...I've certainly worked with Adobe for a long time...

I have never been a fanboy per se, and I am well aware that there are issues involved with this change. I can't say that I'm completely comfortable with changes like this, but I do know that it isn't some sort of deceptive practice on Adobe's part.

Maybe I am closer to more people within the Adobe organization than most on this forum, and maybe that's why I know this change doesn't come from a desire to somehow deceive customers or shackle users down....even though I can understand that perspective on it, it does get my back up a bit.

I also think that the idea of grouping the entire product line together probably doesn't add value for a great number of users...web/print or video...and that may be an area where Adobe has a long term vision of content creators with far more blurry skill emphases as we go into the future, but at the moment, a television editor isn't doing any Flash programming or building websites, and a radio DJ doesn't need After Effects.

That may be an area where their approach needs to evolve I would say.

It's a business, and businesses (including ours) make a profit, make changes, or make an exit. Adobe needs to make a profit, and keep investing in development and how they do that is their choice. Whether or not you feel it's a fit for you as a customer is your choice.

As far as FCPX is concerned, the professional editing community is assuming Apple's success is based on selling software to us. Apple has done just fine selling FCPX directly via download to a much larger, and less maintenance-intensive customer base.

Adobe's well-being is tied to professional users more than Apple's ever was...if they've made the wrong choice, they'll know it in short order.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 9, 2013 at 2:46:19 pm

[Tim Kolb] "And I can see where the cloud will really hurt those people with cracked versions."

Not really. Creative Cloud could be even easier to pirate.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 8, 2013 at 1:55:06 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Yes Walter, I'm sure they are nice features. I thought they would be available in a perpetual license."

Jim, I had hoped for the same thing. This is quite a disappointment for me.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 8, 2013 at 2:57:21 pm

Nice how every single thread on here has to come back to "Creative Cloud Evil". Y'all already have about a dozen threads on here with your pitchforks out, I thought Dennis did a great job showing the new features. which folks should see.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
on May 8, 2013 at 3:03:13 pm

I'm not exactly a broadcaster ( company I work for does color grading and vfx for feature films) but, personally, I appreciate the opportunity to only pay for the software I need.

For the first time in more than 10 years I'm using Premiere again and that would not have happened if I had to pay full price for the software. I am happy paying the 20 dollars/month for the Premiere package, that includes Media encoder and Encore as well, which I am find a bargain, so I can keep myself up to date.

I was considering buying the newest version anyway, but the CC version gives me the option to start learning now and get the upgrade when I feel comfortable about it, without any extra charges.

Even though I have yet to see any project edited on Premiere at my job ( 90% Avid, rest is fcp 7), I feel better knowing that I have experience with the software without breaking the bank.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Mendes
on May 8, 2013 at 6:33:59 pm

The people I work with all seem to prefer the perpetual license, but they all agree that, at some point soon, they will end up subscribing because freelance jobs would more than cover for the costs, but the caveat is, they only need After effects and Photoshop, so it would be nice to be able to package different softwares for a discounted price.

If they had a 29.99 version where you could get After Effects and Photoshop, half of my office would probably sign up in the next 3 months.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 8, 2013 at 7:22:41 pm

[Gustavo Mendes] "If they had a 29.99 version where you could get After Effects and Photoshop, half of my office would probably sign up in the next 3 months."

Feel free to suggest this model to Adobe management: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 8, 2013 at 7:32:59 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "Feel free to suggest this model to Adobe management: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish"

Indeed...a direct line to the people who can actually make some changes...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]