FORUMS: list search recent posts

From a happy CS6 owner - a question

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
From a happy CS6 owner - a question
on May 21, 2013 at 7:35:16 pm

As a CS6 Master Collection owner, I find myself weighing in here and getting a fair amount of heat. That said, I really do not like the idea of the CC subscription method, and in a safe place as far as that goes (for now).

As an owner of Sony ACID, I keep getting offers to purchase (yes, you heard it right) Movie Studio Platinum for under a hundred bucks. That includes Movie Studio 12, Sound Forge Studio 10 (I was a Sound Forge user for many years), ACID Music Studio (which I already own), and Pixelcast Plus (which sounds like a Cloud toy for sharing home movies).

My question is - has anyone used Movie Studio 12 (which I assume is the next iteration of Vegas Pro) in a "professional" situation. I'm primarily an animator and motion graphics artist, who also spends a certain amount of time writing, producing, and editing short form (3 to 10 minute) training and marketing videos for television, the web, and portable media devices. I want to keep my options open, should the "big raspberry" come our way from Adobe, and, while I'm well aware of AVID as an alternative (PC only), I'm sure there must be some alternatives out there which I know nothing about.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: From a happy CS6 owner - a question
on May 21, 2013 at 8:01:40 pm

Movie Studio Platinum is a limited version of Vegas, a lot less features.
Vegas itself.... is very much it's own animal. I have used it on a few jobs where it lent itself because of its interaction with other Sony software but I never found myself at home with the UI. There are quirks, as with all NLEs; that said, it certainly is a proper, professional tool even for demanding workflows (plus it is very, very flexible and feature rich and comes with exceptional audio support). There is a free trial for Vegas. Give it a spin.
I have never dealt with Sony support with regards to Vegas but for some of their other software I have to say it was the best I have ever experienced from a software company. Outstanding.
Btw, have you looked into Hitfilm as a potential AE replacement since your focus seems to be on animation and motion graphics?

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 21, 2013 at 9:42:28 pm

Thank you Frank -

I was afraid that for the price, this had to be a toy. But the funny thing about that is that I thought Sony ACID was just a step above a toy, and it has some quite amazing features which compare pretty well with Audition (not a full-featured DAW by any means, but for sequencing and looping, very good). Of course Audition dropped its' MIDI capabilities quite a while back, other than for control surfaces, so it's not a perfect comparison. But I thought there might be something to look at for the price.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 21, 2013 at 10:08:46 pm

Hey Joseph,

I wouldn't discount it as a toy. It more like what Photoshop Elements is to Photoshop. For a lot of people the former will probably do just fine.
Price, reputation, stage demonstration and what xyz uses in their latest production are of little relevance to me these days. If it works for me and gets my job done - fine. If not, it's out.
Btw., Vegas and Premiere are the only NLEs on the PC side that can export to Prores via Debugmode Frameserver, something that may be of relevance if you need to supply Prores files to clients.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 21, 2013 at 10:24:37 pm

You're right Frank, I should know that from my short term experience with ACID Music Studio, the "lite" version of ACID Studio Pro. I've never based my final software decisions on what anyone else is using either - but I do like to know, just to be on top of things, what the stuff that's off of most people's radar is, and what it's capable of. I use DAZ Studio Pro for some character animation, but I also own 3DS Max. Most 3D power users would laugh me out of the room for using DAZ, but it's quick to develop animations, and the FBX file can be exported right over to Max. I guess one man's toy is another man's tool...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 22, 2013 at 7:25:35 am

[Frank Gothmann] Btw., Vegas and Premiere are the only NLEs on the PC side that can export to Prores via Debugmode Frameserver, something that may be of relevance if you need to supply Prores files to clients.

I have Debugmode Frameserver, so I'm halfway there- but what do you use to encode to ProRes? I have an app called Cinec that does this (with very limited encoding options) but Frameserver AVIs don't work in it.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 22, 2013 at 3:40:42 pm

[Greg Andonian] "I have Debugmode Frameserver, so I'm halfway there- but what do you use to encode to ProRes? I have an app called Cinec that does this (with very limited encoding options) but Frameserver AVIs don't work in it."

I really wish Apple would open source ProRes like they did ALAC. Is it really going to effect their bottom line in any way that's even measurable?

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:52:32 pm

"I really wish Apple would open source ProRes like they did ALAC. Is it really going to effect their bottom line in any way that's even measurable?".

Me to but in terms of there main bottom line not sure how they benefit from giving windows users official access to prores, it is effectively locking in some users to apple;(.

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 22, 2013 at 3:40:48 pm

Greg -

I have not tried this plugin, so caveat emptor (not exactly, since it's a free download):

http://www.dubon.fr/conversion-prores422/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 22, 2013 at 3:43:50 pm

Bear in mind that you need FFMPEG on your system to use the plugin:

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 22, 2013 at 4:36:27 pm

[Greg Andonian] "I have Debugmode Frameserver, so I'm halfway there- but what do you use to encode to ProRes? I have an app called Cinec that does this (with very limited encoding options) but Frameserver AVIs don't work in it."

I have posted my recomendation here:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/30139

It's free and it works like hell.

The nice thing is that, when I originally posted this, Prores encoding was quite slow. In latest builds, Prores encoding is multithreaded to the extreme in ffmpeg so it runs actually faster than on a Mac. It saturates all cores on our Z800 systems.

You know how to work with Avysynth scripts? If not, let me know and I'll give you a detailed workflow how to accomplish this. It's very, very easy and takes 30 seconds from hitting export in Premiere or Media Encoder to starting the Prores render.

The nice thing about Debugmode Frameserver is that you are handing Uncompressed footage to whatever target application you choose.
If you are unhappy with the quality of the MPEG2 or AVC encodes from Adobe you could feed the Avisynth output an encoder of your choice as long as the app understands it.
If an app doesn't understand Avisynth scripts, there is a nice little app that will create a virtual mount of the Avisynth script so you have an AVI to work with (which is your timeline uncompressed, yet it takes up no space on your hard drive !!!!!). It's an amazing, amazing workflow with tons of possibilities.

Btw, there is also a possibility to export directly into Prores without Debugmode Frameserver and Avisynth.
Drastic has the MediaReactor export plugins for Premiere that allow direct output ton a PC o all flavours of Prores, DnxHD MXF, DCP plus lots more but it's not free (around 800 bucks I think).

------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]