FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe totally on top of their amazing amazing cloud stuff.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Adobe totally on top of their amazing amazing cloud stuff.
on May 20, 2013 at 10:06:27 pm

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Software/Adobe-shuts-down-Creative-Cloud-file-syn...

Did anyone check twitter lately? file sync was falling over in all directions.

Seriously - this is the fig leaf that lets them go cloud cloud cloud, amazing amazing cloud...

but wait, it gets much, much better - lets all sit around the fireside, and listen to the ultimate total nightmare Adobe are walking us all into, month after month for as long as we are tied to these guys:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/941299

choice quote:

A few days ago I got a Creative Cloud warning that my subscription was due to expire. When I logged into my CC account, I saw that my credit card payment didn't go through. I had forgot to update it after a recent fraud attempt and the bank gave me a new account. So, that was my mistake, for sure.

So I tried to update my credit card info on Adobe's site. However, I got an error that said, "Something went wrong on our end, please try again later." But it also said that my account was being transitioned to a "free account through June {I don't recall the exact date, but it was about a month away}." I'm not sure what that meant but I assumed this was some kind of grace period to get my account up to date. This was on Wednesday evening.

On Thursday morning (yesterday) I had forgot to try to update the credit card info before I jumped into the project. And that's when I got the error. I also learned that someone else in my studio had the exact same problem with another project.

So it would seem that the fear/concern/angst that some have expressed is not unwarranted.

So this is a joke - it is just simply a weird horrible bad joke right? Adobe are going to jump out and go "ha! fooled you!"?

this is flat out a total nightmare of incompetence, lack of preparedness, for a company in the process of trying to force, by 2015, around 4-6 million people, at effective gunpoint, into this ridiculous situation.

Hands up who thinks this is all going to just work out.

edit: also good god this dude:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/941301

Exactly the same situation here and I have posted about it. I get this "sequence cannot be opened error" any time I go to an authorised computer that has not been used for editing for a couple of weeks( two weeks in the studio and I don't use the laptop - 3 weeks away and I don't use the Studio Mac Pro.) And it happened when my CC was cancelled as a fraud precaution. There is no correct message and absolutely no leeway given.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Adobe totally on top of their amazing amazing cloud stuff.
on May 20, 2013 at 11:52:12 pm

Aindreas,
I solved the "subscription expiration" issue. For both Jon and Steve, their problem had nothing to do with this subscription expiring. It was an activation error; completely different.

The Sync Files function was removed for now as there were problems as were mentioned in the article. To be fair, this was a preview of a feature that still needs a bit more work.

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 21, 2013 at 12:02:33 am

[Kevin Monahan] " It was an activation error; completely different."

ah ok but of course.

[Kevin Monahan] "Aindreas,
I solved the "subscription expiration" issue. For both Jon and Steve,"

Now hey now - that is genuinely fantastic kevin, once there are millions in the same hell there, we can all presume that you will, using the personal pronoun "I" don the cloak of santa claus, and deliver restitution to randomly locked out editors across the globe.

I'm sorry but would you please come on.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 12:55:37 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I'm sorry but would you please come on."

Hi Aindreas,
The activation issue seems to be affecting Premiere Pro CS6 only, and no other applications. I'm reporting back to the team about this issue and we're working on solving it. It's an easy workaround, so I wasn't trying to be smug or anything. Sorry if I came across that way.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 21, 2013 at 7:34:07 pm

Good god no - Look seriously - I'm not saying you're smug, far from it, You look like you've got a gig here that Sisyphus might fancy?

the reason I made the santa crack, was that, while I understand part of your role is to personalise adobe in people's minds, once there are a few million on CC, and say a new, more serious activation bug springs up, well then you would need the location powers of santa himself to be like "I got in touch, its being sorted".

that is what I meant? putting it in personal terms is a nice touch, and makes us feel a certain way about adobe, but past a certain point, it gets implausible.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 9:12:39 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "once there are a few million on CC, and say a new, more serious activation bug springs up, well then you would need the location powers of santa himself to be like "I got in touch, its being sorted"."

Hi Aindreas,
Sorry I misunderstood you. Indeed, when we get more customers on a subscription service like the Creative Cloud, the potential for problems increases. Fortunately, we have the experience of hosting half a million Creative Cloud subscribers with relatively few issues--and that is a good sign. Nothing is perfect, and we know we have areas where we need to improve, and some we need to plan for.

One thing we've done is that our support organization has increased in size, so that should alleviate the "Santa" issue a bit. I have moved to support too. Originally, I was the tech writer and community manager, not directly in support. I'm looking forward to helping out and solving issues, as I've formerly done for over a decade in the FCP community.

You bring up some good points, so thanks for the feedback. If only we could have this discussion in a proper pub!

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 21, 2013 at 10:10:18 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "You bring up some good points"

thats rather charitable - its largely headless chicken if you look closely enough...

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 20, 2013 at 11:52:28 pm

A bit late to the game with that...Todd Kopriva weighed in on the fact that Adobe was shutting off File Sync while they did some fixes to it:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/378/1429

Why all the gleeful crap slinging? I've seen third graders with more self control...

And the credit card thing. The guy admitted it was user error, and that it probably screwed the system up. Granted, that shouldn't happen, but what generally happens when you put in an expired credit card and try to buy something? User error...plain and simple.

Wow...two people have a problem with the system - red alert...red alert...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 21, 2013 at 2:11:05 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Wow...two people have a problem with the system - red alert...red alert..."

Make that three:

https://www.facebook.com/StopAdobeCC

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 2:19:06 am

Hi David,
Again, the activation issue is something unrelated to subscription problems. This user is being helped my colleagues in support, so I'm sure he's getting help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 21, 2013 at 4:05:00 am

[Kevin Monahan] "Hi David,
Again, the activation issue is something unrelated to subscription problems. This user is being helped my colleagues in support, so I'm sure he's getting help."

Hi Kevin,

No doubt support has taken care of this user and by now they're probably fine. But I'm confused as to how activation problems are unrelated to subscription problems. It seems to me they're intrinsically connected.

Under a perpetual license, I pay once, I authenticate once, and we're both done.

Under the Creative Cloud rental model, the software authenticates every month, even If I've paid for a full year's rental plan in advance. In fact, monthly authentication checks are they only reason the current Creative Cloud versions of the software require an internet connection. All other internet features are optional.

It seems to me monthly authentication issues such as this user's will become much more common as Adobe attempts to scale from hundreds of thousands of rental users to millions.

In a situation like the one above, would a user be able to authenticate over the phone, 24/7?

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 4:17:57 am

[David Lawrence] "No doubt support has taken care of this user and by now they're probably fine. But I'm confused as to how activation problems are unrelated to subscription problems. It seems to me they're intrinsically connected."

Hi David,
The issue is that Premiere Pro CS6 sometimes loses its activation, and therefore, access to certain royalty codecs, and then users get that warning dialog box. It's an issue we know about and are working on.

It doesn't have to do with whether a customer lapsed on his or her subscription payments, or not.

[David Lawrence] "Under a perpetual license, I pay once, I authenticate once, and we're both done."

Again, I'm in support and have absolutely no influence on pricing or subscription models. Sorry, I'm only here to troubleshoot issues and give accurate info, not to debate the decisions Adobe makes.

[David Lawrence] "It seems to me monthly authentication issues such as this user's will become much more common as Adobe attempts to scale from hundreds of thousands of rental users to millions."

That user had an activation problem, not an authentication problem. You can easily fix it by deactivating and then activating the application from the Help menu.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on May 21, 2013 at 8:22:48 am

[Kevin Monahan] "Sorry, I'm only here to troubleshoot issues and give accurate info, not to debate the decisions Adobe makes. "

That's ok...but isn't this a debate forum?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, this whole subscription thing is getting the worst out of me, it's a total nightmare, it almost feels like we woke up to this alternate reality, like Marty McFly in Back to the Future 2.

You're a nice guy and something tells me your participation here is not by choice, but I guess you got caught in between, it's nothing personal with you, I hope you understand.

But seriously though, who'd like to pay a monthly fee to use a program for the rest of their life? It doesn't make any sense, you'd have to be a zombie if you do.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 2:42:55 pm

[Gustavo Bermudas] "That's ok...but isn't this a debate forum?"

Hi Gustavo,
I'm not here to debate, just to provide correct information. There wasn't a complete understanding of the issues brought up originally so I contributed.

[Gustavo Bermudas] "You're a nice guy and something tells me your participation here is not by choice, but I guess you got caught in between, it's nothing personal with you, I hope you understand."

No problem. I participate here because I want to, not because I have to. I've been a contributor for Creative Cow for years now.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 21, 2013 at 4:25:39 am

[David Lawrence] I'm confused as to how activation problems are unrelated to subscription problems. It seems to me they're intrinsically connected.

What he said.

For the record, I've never had any activation or subscription problems with my perpetual license of CS5.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 5:58:48 am

[Greg Andonian] "What he said"

Hi Greg,
Again, activation is a different issue. You can deactivate and reactivate Premiere Pro. Check out your CS5 Help menu > Deactivate. It's a problem we are trying to fix with Premiere Pro. We're definitely aware of it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 21, 2013 at 6:53:37 am

[Greg Andonian] "What he said.

For the record, I've never had any activation or subscription problems with my perpetual license of CS5."

As I understand it activation and authentication are two separate things so it makes since that a problem with one is not inherently a problem with the other. Activation is when you enter your serial number and the app phones home to an Adobe server to make sure the serial number is valid. All Adobe products have to get activated in order for you to use them. Just by Googling "adobe activation" I found information about Adobe shutting down the activation servers for CS2 era products. This requires a new serial number which apparently gets validated by the software locally thus not needing to connect to a server. Adobe emailed out the new numbers to users and if someone didn't get a new number they can request one from Adobe. I also found threads from people having activation errors from perpetual license versions of CS6.

Here is a link to Adobe's page talking about activation:
https://www.adobe.com/products/activation/

So, I guess Adobe users lost 'ownership' of their 'work' years ago (whenever Adobe started using activation servers) but no one really realized it until now?

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 21, 2013 at 7:08:37 am

[Andrew Kimery] "So, I guess Adobe users lost 'ownership' of their 'work' years ago (whenever Adobe started using activation servers) but no one really realized it until now?"

Adobe activation server issues have been a source of complaint for years. But as Sandeep said above, it doesn't matter if the problem is with activation or authentication. The point is if you're on deadline and the software refuses to run because of a DRM snafu, you're hosed either way.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 21, 2013 at 7:24:18 am

[David Lawrence] "Adobe activation server issues have been a source of complaint for years. But as Sandeep said above, it doesn't matter if the problem is with activation or authentication. The point is if you're on deadline and the software refuses to run because of a DRM snafu, you're hosed either way."

Some people (including yourself) were wondering how activation problems weren't authentication problems so I was trying to provide information about how they were different. Including saying there are examples of activation problems from people that do not subscribe to CC.

If the point was about DRM in general then why (incorrectly) focus on CC and not on activation in general? ;)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 21, 2013 at 2:41:22 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "So, I guess Adobe users lost 'ownership' of their 'work' years ago (whenever Adobe started using activation servers) but no one really realized it until now?"

I agree. I have been arguing this same point for weeks. All four major NLE developers use online activation to authenticate installs. Unless you have a system frozen in carbonite like Han Solo, you will be dependent on a server somewhere to say it's ok to install at some indefinite point in the future, even though you already paid for it.

[David Lawrence] "Adobe activation server issues have been a source of complaint for years. But as Sandeep said above, it doesn't matter if the problem is with activation or authentication. The point is if you're on deadline and the software refuses to run because of a DRM snafu, you're hosed either way."

And this is why I don't understand the argument to go back to perpetual licensing. Maybe it's marginally freer than subscription, but it's not the freest option.

I think you should be arguing for a documented file format for your application of choice. Look at Photoshop: Adobe documented the PSD file format. PSD being a standard made Photoshop more valuable for users (as it can work in all kinds of open workflows, and Photoshop is the most feature-complete PSD-supporting application), and PSD being documented creates choice for users (as an application like Pixelmator can interchange with it).

In other words, you don't have to use Photoshop for PSDs because anybody who wants to can write support for it, but you may choose to use it, because the application is good and your files can go anywhere.

Win-win.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 21, 2013 at 4:57:57 pm

[Walter Soyka] "In other words, you don't have to use Photoshop for PSDs because anybody who wants to can write support for it, but you may choose to use it, because the application is good and your files can go anywhere.

Win-win."

YUP. And, we are practically there now with NLEs, though of course not with AE.

Return to posts index

Brooks Tomlinson
on May 21, 2013 at 1:14:57 pm

Okay, I have had that very same activation error with my purchased copy of cs6. For some reason, premiere would lose it's activation, and then you lost access to codecs.

still not good. no mater how you look at it. Should have been fixed instead of a "known issue"

Brooks Tomlinson
"I dream in 32bit float"

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 2:48:03 pm

[Brooks Tomlinson] "Okay, I have had that very same activation error with my purchased copy of cs6. For some reason, premiere would lose it's activation, and then you lost access to codecs. "

Hi Brooks,
Sorry this happened to you. The quick fix is to deactivate, restart Premiere Pro, and then activate once more. We're working on a fix, so hopefully we'll see it soon.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 2:19:43 am

Duplicate post.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 21, 2013 at 2:43:11 am

By Murphy's Law, this can only get worse. I assume we can all multiply.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on May 21, 2013 at 6:25:46 am

C'mon guys, give Kevin a fair chance, and lets keep things serious around here. I agree Adobe has taken a bad move with the CC-subscription-only, but mistakes do happen down to basic TCP-IP problems.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 21, 2013 at 9:03:25 am

[Morten Ranmar] "C'mon guys, give Kevin a fair chance, and lets keep things serious around here. I agree Adobe has taken a bad move with the CC-subscription-only, but mistakes do happen down to basic TCP-IP problems."

I thought this forum was set up to debating the CC vs perpetual licence. Kevin is a bit like Daniel in the Lions den and seems fully able to hold his own end up and not sink to the slanging match style of debate.

For me, his logical and helpful solutions to the niggling issues that users are encountering just underline the potential for things to go wrong in a system, that relies on checking home all the time. it's twitchy and the slightest mistake can lock you out. It's a bit like the privatised rail system here in the UK, over regulated, pricy and looking after the core interest of the proprietor rather than the customer.

I wonder how many Premiere Pro users will take a second look at FCPX, which after a well earned slating at it's launch is steadily making inroads back into the top echelon of digital post production.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 2:55:18 pm

[Mark Dobson] "I thought this forum was set up to debating the CC vs perpetual licence. Kevin is a bit like Daniel in the Lions den and seems fully able to hold his own end up and not sink to the slanging match style of debate. "

Hi Mark,
Right. I'm only here to give information. I'm not here to debate.

[Mark Dobson] "For me, his logical and helpful solutions to the niggling issues that users are encountering just underline the potential for things to go wrong in a system, that relies on checking home all the time."

Again, the issue is activation with Premiere Pro. This doesn't have anything to do with "checking home all the time" or the Creative Cloud. It's a Premiere Pro issue that we know about and we are working on.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 21, 2013 at 11:38:13 am

I've had that "sequence can't be opened because of missing codecs"-authentication error a couple of times. Can you guess what I did? I opened the program again and it worked again. Maybe screaming bloody apocalypse and yelling to Adobe dudes is more fruitful for some individuals.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on May 21, 2013 at 11:54:21 am

What if that's not something that works for someone else?

What I find hard to understand is why things are so fraught. If I remember correctly, when you download the Trial of an Adobe product and you exceed the 30 day limit, the first time you open it up, it tells you that you've crossed the day limit, but you can use it once more before needing to activate the license. Or once when I was at a Post House and needed to run Photoshop, there was some Internet issue that wouldn't let them activate it properly, and a message popped up saying 'you have 3 days to activate before the software stops working'.

So they've obviously considered various user scenarios, going back way before this whole Creative Cloud focus. That's kind of why, this seems so odd, to me anyway. As Matt Damon says in Rounders 'always leave yourself outs'.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 2:59:11 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "So they've obviously considered various user scenarios, going back way before this whole Creative Cloud focus. That's kind of why, this seems so odd, to me anyway"

HI Sandeep,
It's an issue with Premiere Pro CS6, we are looking for a fix right now. Sorry it's caused any confusion.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on May 21, 2013 at 5:40:27 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me Kevin. And I'm not even having any cloud activation/subscription issues!
Support must be having a tough time of it at the momentl, hope things improve across the board, so people are less angry and more civil to support reps.

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 2:56:51 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "I've had that "sequence can't be opened because of missing codecs"-authentication error a couple of times. Can you guess what I did? I opened the program again and it worked again"

Hi Tero,
Glad it worked for you. Interesting that you didn't have to reactivate Premiere Pro, though.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on May 21, 2013 at 6:34:50 am

It is an awful awful feeling not being able to access your work with a deadline about to smack you in the face. I really feel for that guy whose facebook plea David posted.

I had this issue when I was running the Smoke Pre-Release. Opened it up the day before delivery and it just wouldn't export anything. On the weekend, no support on the Forums or on the Facebook pages. Not cool at all.

The thing is that it doesn't matter if there are a million satisfied CC subscribers for the handful who get bitten for whatever reason. There is a lot at stake for professional users every single time they sign on to a new project.

If your tools aren't rock solid - and this distinction between activation/subscription and the like is just...well, dodgy and totally irrelevant to the end user - then you're playing a dangerous game.

Try telling a Creative Director that his masterpiece is not opening up.

Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on May 21, 2013 at 6:40:30 am

Joseph,

You have a Perpetual CS 6 license right? Is that where this cast iron confidence in Adobe CC and your blanket contempt for subscribers who're getting burnt is coming from?

Surely it's not hard to feel some sympathy for people facing genuine issues, regardless of how much affection one has for a major Corp.?

Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 21, 2013 at 7:49:45 am

Your system may fail to boot because it's corrupt, or it has a hardware defect. Your software may fail to start, to run, to export to... whatever. Bug and issues are the nature of this game, regardless of the licensing model. There are plenty of reasons why you may not be able to open your work the next morning. Always have been, always will be.
I think it is silly to roam the web and pick an incident where something went wrong -the exact circumstances are hardly transparent given the nature of the internet and the weird urge some people have to immediately post all over the place as soon as something goes wrong.
If I had a problem with billing or the expiry date of my card, I'd call Adobe rather than post it somewhere.
The whole posting frenzy confirms for me that the whole CC thing is much more of a psychological issue rather than based on real facts such as price etc.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on May 21, 2013 at 8:20:41 am

[Frank Gothmann] "Your system may fail to boot because it's corrupt, or it has a hardware defect. Your software may fail to start, to run, to export to... whatever. Bug and issues are the nature of this game, regardless of the licensing model. There are plenty of reasons why you may not be able to open your work the next morning. Always have been, always will be."

I believe this is addressed to me, so I would like to respond. It used to be that having robust backup procedures and access to competent support staff would generally protect you from all but the most egregious worst case scenarios.

Project file corrupt - load the backup version you've got on another disk, or restore a previous version.
Project won't render/export - spread it out across multiple sequences, flatten layers, purge RAM etc, there are user controllable ways around these errors.
Application corrupt for whatever reason - reload it from disk or dmg, and input your Serial number.

In most cases, the solutions are things you can do yourself. If the activation servers for whatever reason are down, as Kevin says, what are your options? Call support and wait for them to fix your problem - there are enough horror stories of Adobe support doing the rounds.

As someone who's dealt with substandard support for the last decade, my take on this is that users should be careful as to how accepting they are of any model that compromises support. I read with envy posts from people like Walter Biscardi, where he runs into an issue, calls support and everything's taken care off, and if it isn't, they call you back and work with you until it is. That's never been my reality. Not since I moved to Mumbai anyway...and guess where support is being outsourced to.

[Frank Gothmann] "If I had a problem with billing or the expiry date of my card, I'd call Adobe rather than post it somewhere.
The whole posting frenzy confirms for me that the whole CC thing is much more of a psychological issue rather than based on real facts such as price etc."

I don't have an agenda in this thing. I wasn't going to sign up for CC as my workflow is FCPX + Smoke. Both of those tools, bless them, have their own share of issues. Apple's support is non-existent, Autodesk's is good and willing, but the software is buggy as hell and the best intentions in the world don't magically fix that.

My point (as was yours, I believe) is that there are enough variables on any given day that can impact your work. Some we can anticipate and work around, and some we can't. It's when you're stuck and helpless that these issues really hit home.

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
on May 21, 2013 at 8:45:31 am

[Sandeep Sajeev] "My point (as was yours, I believe) is that there are enough variables on any given day that can impact your work. Some we can anticipate and work around, and some we can't. It's when you're stuck and helpless that these issues really hit home."

Oh, I agree with you. Or, as Mel Brooks said it: "Even in the future, nothing works". I am confident this won't change anytime soon. But if activation servers are down you are out of luck even with a perpetual licence if you need to reinstall. With CC as well as as with Avid or any other apps that relies on phoning home.
I just think this fear of not being able to access your work (and that this happens all the time on a constant basis) is just blown out of all proportions.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 21, 2013 at 11:14:22 am

[Sandeep Sajeev] "If the activation servers for whatever reason are down, as Kevin says, what are your options? Call support and wait for them to fix your problem "

I suspect one difference between this and other company's activations issues is that, with much other software, if you can't activate, the software still functions with some kind of watermark. Although export would be an issue, at least you can plow ahead with work while you wait for support. It seems CC would stop you stone cold.

In fact, this may be the crux of many concerns. Rather than having some kind of watermark or equivalent inhibition, CC issues result in the complete lack of access.

While one can say such incidences are rare but, like a deadly car accident, it only takes one incident to damage your relationship with a client a long with your general reputation.

For a professional to feel secure, they need continual access to their projects and 24/7 SHORT response time to activation and subscription issues.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 3:10:54 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Although export would be an issue, at least you can plow ahead with work while you wait for support. It seems CC would stop you stone cold."

Hi Craig,
If I were in that situation, I'd see if I could download a trial version and keep working.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 21, 2013 at 1:31:04 pm

Not at all, Sandeep. If you read my post carefully, it's the bashers that I have no patience with. It's just fine to say what you want here (who am I to tell anyone what to say, anyway?), but if you say it in a condescending or belligerent way, it does nothing to move us toward a solution of some sort to this perceived problem.

Having not used the CC, other than to add a login and start using Edge Animation (free software from Adobe), I have no real input. What I do have is sympathy for those who are having a real problem. My television production experience goes back to analog, and I've spent hours sitting with an angry client while my engineer solders a bad connection in a CMX editing controller, or when a deck died.

There are always going to be problems, and just because there's a software company trying to fix them rather than a hardware company (or even an engineer on staff), doesn't mean that we can expect perfection. There is no such thing! Some people are going to happy with the CC, some are going to find every little detail and create a negative spin on it. What subscribers are getting burnt? They may be experiencing problems, but that's a different thing from getting burnt. Adobe is not some thug in an alleyway - they are trying their best to come up with solutions, and, in some cases, getting attacked for it. I'm trying to point out that a well-reasoned dialogue will always take you further than peeing on the floor and screaming will.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 21, 2013 at 2:06:16 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "will always take you further than peeing on the floor and screaming will."

nothing can take you further than peeing on the floor and screaming. Just ask Edison.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 21, 2013 at 2:27:25 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "My television production experience goes back to analog, and I've spent hours sitting with an angry client while my engineer solders a bad connection in a CMX editing controller, or when a deck died."

How much angrier would your client have been if you were like, "Sorry, we have to overnight this piece back to the company because it uses parts that only their engineers can fix."

At least you were in the process of doing something about it yourself. As has been pointed out here, there is literally nothing you can do about this.

What happens a year from now when Adobe doesn't need to scramble to try to alleviate some of the backlash? When there's no going back to CS6 if you're on CC version 1 or 2? Will they still be a responsive? Current experiences being talked about here with support don't seem to offer much encouragement.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 21, 2013 at 3:32:18 pm

Generally speaking, Gary - the client couldn't care less what's causing the problem, be it local or otherwise - they might appreciate that we're trying, but they are always varying levels of pissed off.

I've also had to wait for exactly the scenario you talk about when cameras went down, and there were "no user serviceable parts inside", as the manufacturers like to say. Just before the move to software-based graphics systems, we were working with Dubners, an incredible (for the time) hardware graphics system which did paint, elementary 3D, and graphics sequences to air for Newscasts. There were whole days spent where we waited for a backplane board to be overnighted, then installed, then calibrated. It sure slowed down the Newscast, and that was before there was at least a playback storage system from which we could trigger graphics for a Newscast - graphically speaking, we were dead in the water.

Did we blame Dubner for it, and rant and rave? We might have liked to, but it would have done no good - in some cases, if we raved at the wrong person at Dubner, they would have slowed down the shipping of the board. You don't always know, when you take the belligerent approach to an issue, whether it's ultimately going to help or hurt your case.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 21, 2013 at 4:23:47 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Did we blame Dubner for it, and rant and rave? We might have liked to, but it would have done no good - in some cases, if we raved at the wrong person at Dubner, they would have slowed down the shipping of the board."

Unless Dubner had previously built their cameras with user serviceable parts, and then announced they were going all proprietary for some "benefit" that sounded dubious. Your metaphor is not exactly apt.

[Joseph W. Bourke] " You don't always know, when you take the belligerent approach to an issue, whether it's ultimately going to help or hurt your case."

Apparently, now, being "negative" in any degree is being belligerent, huh? You're either Polyanna or you're belligerent?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 21, 2013 at 5:21:37 pm

Gary - one thing you're really good at is putting words in other peoples' mouths. There are varying levels of discourse on this forum, ranging from calm and considered, to belligerent and whining. If you don't know the difference, then you have no way of understanding what I'm referring to. I could care less whether you agree with me or not, but I respect your opinion - it's obvious that you don't understand what I'm getting at, so it's a waste of time talking to you...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 21, 2013 at 10:56:49 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "There are varying levels of discourse on this forum, ranging from calm and considered, to belligerent and whining. If you don't know the difference, then you have no way of understanding what I'm referring to."

Except your own interpretation of which statements or any of those reflect your own bias in how you fantasize about the poster behind those words, an interpretation would be completely erroneous. So is it a question of whether I understand the difference, or a question of whether or not you choose to interpret the intent behind the discourse in a way that is wrong?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]