FORUMS: list search recent posts

An After Effects plug-in author calls it quits

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
An After Effects plug-in author calls it quits
on May 20, 2013 at 6:43:31 pm

Wonder how much more of this we'll see:

http://www.3dcg.net/journal/2013/05/17/end-of-life-announcement-for-after-e...

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Richert Goyette
Re: An After Effects plug-in author calls it quits
on May 20, 2013 at 7:08:50 pm

As I mentioned in a previous post, if I don't subscribe to the monthly cloud I immediately loose access to thousands of dollars of plug-ins, immediately.

Thus, I have purchased the CS6 disks, will quit the cloud, and will only be upgrading plug-ins that remain compatible with CS6.

So, I think that there is a potential world of hurt for plug-in developers with this move.

Rich

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 20, 2013 at 7:39:29 pm

I wonder if other plug-in companies will stop development as well.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 20, 2013 at 8:13:51 pm

That's really sad. I hate to see smaller developers impacted like this. I hope there are some real and honest conversations going on at Adobe right now, none of this is good for their business.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 20, 2013 at 9:17:11 pm

I'd imagine plugin devs jumping ship will grab Adobe's attention more so than an internet petition.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 21, 2013 at 2:26:04 pm

For a little context, this is not the first time that Normality has been EOL'ed.

Stephan Minning stopped development on his Windows plugins when he moved to the Mac, and he called it quits [link] when Adobe decided to go 64-bit only for AE CS5 [link]. Apparently he ultimately reversed course, developed a 64-bit release, and pulled the original blog entry describing why he wasn't willing to do that.

This all makes a lot of sense. He's one guy, developing on the machine he uses himself, and releasing his plugins as donation-ware. He's decided not to go for Creative Cloud himself, so his side-project development of plugins will end.

I don't think it's indicative of anything for professional plugin developers, who will almost certainly continue developing for a platform as long as there are users willing to buy -- but this is very sad. Normality was brilliant.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 21, 2013 at 2:28:59 pm

I sympathize with the issues that people are raising in an overall sense, but there's some serious grasping at straws from anti-"Creative Cloud"-ers.

Return to posts index

Richert Goyette
on May 21, 2013 at 4:40:24 pm

Grasping may not be the right word.

People are making up their minds based upon their individual needs, so concerns expressed in the various threads may represent an issue that is valid to them, but not to you.

I have cancelled the cloud and am reverting to perpetual CS6. Therefore, no more complaining on my part. But maybe the Adobe apologists shouldn't be so defensive. If you like it, rent it and if you don't and want to know others concerns, post. End of discussion.

If you are still mulling the issue, express your concerns. I know that Adobe is monitoring this site.

Rich

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 21, 2013 at 4:56:49 pm

[Richert Goyette] "But maybe the Adobe apologists shouldn't be so defensive. If you like it, rent it and if you don't and want to know others concerns, post. End of discussion."

It's not a very useful debate if only the "con" side expresses their opinion.

If someone thinking about going for Creative Cloud comes here and reads these comments, I hope they get to see both sides of the conversation. People like David, Jim, Greg and Aindreas are making very good points that are important for both CC prospects and Adobe themselves to consider.

However, there are benefits to CC, too, and they get very short shrift around here.

Someone thinking about CC should have all the facts in front of them as they make the decision about what's right for them.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 21, 2013 at 5:00:28 pm

[Walter Soyka] "However, there are benefits to CC, too, and they get very short shrift around here."

I think they get short shrift everywhere. I see far too much touting of the CC as "Internet software delivery" and basic hosting services then anything really revolutionary.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 21, 2013 at 9:22:35 pm

[Gary Huff] "I think they get short shrift everywhere. I see far too much touting of the CC as "Internet software delivery" and basic hosting services then anything really revolutionary."

Hi Gary,
I'd say, in time, the benefits will become more clear to average users. Eventually, Creative Cloud will be about more than the apps, it will be about the services and the community, as well. The apps too will become more special because not only are they being delivered to you electronically, they'll be updated with new features throughout the year. Editors are going to dig that.

The Creative Cloud has much more in store than users might think. I think people will see this in time.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 22, 2013 at 2:16:28 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "'d say, in time, the benefits will become more clear to average users."

It sounds more and more like Adobe needed one more perpetual license version before making this move so that the benefits would already be implemented.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]