FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creative Cloud validation contingency?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Marler
Creative Cloud validation contingency?
on May 7, 2013 at 1:53:50 pm

Despite their distributed, redundant IT infrastructures, both Google and Amazon have had outages resulting in *permanent*, non-recoverable data loss. These have been rare and the % of data affected small.

However small, the possibility exists a similar failure could wipe out Adobe's validation database for Creative Cloud. If that happened, within 180 days no customer on earth could run Creative Cloud.

Has Adobe given any guidance about their IT planning to ensure this doesn't happen, or info about contingency plans if it does?

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
Re: Creative Cloud validation contingency?
on May 7, 2013 at 5:08:16 pm

That's a great question. I have been a happy CC user for just over a year now, and I haven't hit any snags like this. But the possibility could leave one feeling uneasy about being unable to open the programs in the absence of validation. I suspect that, because the software only does validation once per month, depending upon when you purchased, even the worst case couldn't affect 100% of users. If more than a couple of days down, certainly, a good portion of users could be affected. Two days could affect 1 of 15 customers, three 1 of 10, and so on.

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Creative Cloud validation contingency?
on May 7, 2013 at 8:46:37 pm

I've been on CC for a year, too, and it's been seamless for me as well.

From the Creative Cloud FAQ [link]:
Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Cloud desktop applications?

No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 3 months (99 days) even if you're offline.

It's a good question to ask, but I'm confident that Adobe could work out a solution to a systemic activation problem within that grace period. Their revenue depends on it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]