FORUMS: list search recent posts

Well this is confusing. Some Adobe programs are CC and Perpetual license?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Taylor
Well this is confusing. Some Adobe programs are CC and Perpetual license?
on May 17, 2013 at 3:44:10 am

From the Lightroom Journal By Tom Hogarty:

Q. Will Lightroom 5 be included as part of Adobe Creative Cloud?

A. Yes. Lightroom 5 will be delivered to Creative Cloud members at no extra charge when it’s available.

Q. Will Lightroom become a subscription only offering after Lightroom 5?

A. Future versions of Lightroom will be made available via traditional perpetual licenses indefinitely.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-...

So why is Lightroom able to be both? Does Adobe not consider Lightroom to be a pro app? They should make that clear as it would mean that Adobe has no plans to add pro features to it. More like a Photoshop or Premiere Elements program? Those two programs definitely lack the features pros need. But if it's not a pro app, why is it included in CC?

JT

JT

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
Re: Well this is confusing. Some Adobe programs are CC and Perpetual license?
on May 17, 2013 at 5:06:56 am

Yes, lightroom is apparently an exception to the rule. I'm not sure why, but I've read that it might have to do with the fact that it's also available on the Mac App Store.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 17, 2013 at 12:22:42 pm

I'm not sure about the Lightroom exception. Maybe to appease photographers who don't want CC. It also never used the standard Adobe authorization scheme. Straight SN entry. In any case, LR is ABSOLUTELY a PRO tool. It is a photo-editor, not a design tool like Photoshop. Huge difference. FWIW - many of the Photoshop plug-ins work in LR as well as Aperture.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on May 17, 2013 at 2:16:07 pm

So I guess that means not all pros want to be on the cloud? Just seems a bit inconsistent with their message to professionals. I'm certainly glad it's not cloud only, but still don't understand why they feel other programs need to be.

I'm certainly not against the cloud. I'm just not sure why it can't be both. Like Lightroom. If they 100% believe in what they are saying about the future, why isn't Lightroom there?

JT

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on May 17, 2013 at 2:09:03 pm

Although it is on the mac app store, that doesn't necessarily mean LR5 will be. If LR4 did sell well on the app store, and they sell LR5 there, I would think that would be an indicator that people want to purchase it Adobe software there. I wonder how Photoshop would do on the app store?

JT

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on May 17, 2013 at 2:13:59 pm

[James Taylor] " I wonder how Photoshop would do on the app store?"

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA203LL/A/adobe-photoshop-elements-11

They're selling Elements for a while now.

EDIT

https://itunes.apple.com/app/adobe-photoshop-elements-11/id571583293?mt=12

Return to posts index

James Taylor
on May 17, 2013 at 2:25:37 pm

Yes, I believe they wanted to experiment with how the app store would do. If they release LR5 and PSE 12 on the store I guess we will know.

The app store seems like the best win for Adobe at this point. Offer the suite on the app store at a higher price (because Apple takes their cut) so those that want a perpetual license can have one. The beautiful thing for Adobe is there is no upgrade path. So, you pay full price for the next release and blame in on Apple. Then the cloud starts to look like a better deal. And you still have the option to purchase a perpetual license if you need one. Seems like a win/win. Except for PC owners of course.

JT

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on May 17, 2013 at 2:36:13 pm

I think it's only because Lightroom was never technically part of the Creative Suite packages.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]