FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Cloud for me until 2014

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
No Cloud for me until 2014
on May 16, 2013 at 9:32:14 am

In another thread, Aindreas posted a link to a tweet by someone called #adobe2014 who suggested that we all wait six months until we consider subscribing to Creative Cloud- that way we'll "torpedo the 2013 adoption projections", as Aindreas put it.

I thought that was a great idea, so that's what I'm going to do. I suggest everyone else do the same, and encourage others to do it as well- because if a lot of people went this same route it would send a powerful message to Adobe, and they'd have to explain to their shareholders why their predictions didn't come true.

CS5 is serving me well right now, and CS6 is available as a perpetual license- so I'm going to stay put for the rest of the year. I'd rather go to CS6 first anyway, since that's the one the cloud stuff will be backwards-compatible with. I'll download the trial of the new Premiere, because it's really flippin' awesome- but I'm not going to subscribe to anything this year.

In the meantime, I'm going to investigate other NLE options to see what else is out there, and see what I can do to put together a back-up plan of some sort that I can use next year if I do decide to join the Cloud and at some point things go south.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
Re: No Cloud for me until 2014
on May 16, 2013 at 4:43:07 pm

During the 2012 NAB Adobe was promising a major update every 2 years, so I wasn't expecting to upgrade till July 2014. I can certainly wait 6 months. In the meantime, I've advised all of my clients to hold off on moving to Adobe, will take another run at FCP X, and will investigate Pixalator.

Cheers,
Jim

Return to posts index

Carl Sollenberger
on May 16, 2013 at 5:38:51 pm

I don't know if I have time to play games like that with Adobe...
I will look into other software co's.
I love my editing - love what I do. So, I like to stay current. I will probably stay with CS6 and end there with Adobe and hold on till I find other options.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 16, 2013 at 5:40:20 pm

I am not going cc at all unless i can keep the install after a period of time.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 16, 2013 at 5:53:33 pm

I have to do what's good for my facility, despite
my personal objections.

Believe you me, I'm not happy about the cloud situation, but I
have to take the plunge on release day.

Way too many feature updates I need and SpeedGrade actually
outputting through Decklink or kona to put it off.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 16, 2013 at 6:15:13 pm

[Jim Cunningham] "During the 2012 NAB Adobe was promising a major update every 2 years, so I wasn't expecting to upgrade till July 2014."

Hi Jim,
FYI, the info you have is not correct. I'm not sure who you spoke to or where you heard that info, but we made a change in CS5.5. CS5.5 was the first release in our transition to an annual release cycle. We promised and have delivered new versions of most applications every year since then.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 16, 2013 at 10:04:56 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "we made a change in CS5.5. CS5.5 was the first release in our transition to an annual release cycle. We promised and have delivered new versions of most applications every year since then."

Clarifying here: what you may have heard is that we were to have a major update every other year. The following year, after the major release, we promised a minor release. CS5.5 is classified as that, although we did a lot of work so it seemed like a major release.

In the end, you're right. The promise for a major release was every other year.

Sorry for any confusion.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on May 17, 2013 at 12:01:17 pm

Kevin,
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I was having a senior moment there for a while:-)

Cheers,
Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 16, 2013 at 7:11:54 pm

Count me in to the no Creative Cloud camp. I will not move to a subscription model. If Adobe doesn't relent on this, I will be happy to never buy another Adobe product. I have CS6, and I will keep it running. Other than Premiere and Audition the only other Adobe product I use is Photoshop, and I hardly use that anymore as Aperture with third party plugs takes care of everything I used to do in Photoshop for my photography needs including layering, masks, effects, and retouching. It also won't go obsolete when new cameras come out, as Apple provides system wide camera updates, regardless of application updates. It is also a better DAM. Lightroom users on the photo sites are going ballistic over this as they receive updates tied to the applications ala ACR and are very concerned they will have no new camera RAW support for cameras as they are released w/o getting on the CC merry go round.

Send a message to Adobe, and wait and see how this unfolds.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on May 16, 2013 at 7:44:50 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Apple provides system wide camera updates, regardless of application updates"

Hey Jim, has Aperture released a update lately. I have a friend with a Fuji Mirrorless camera that uses Aperture and he says it isn't supported.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 17, 2013 at 12:53:07 pm

[Greg Andonian] "someone called #adobe2014 who suggested that we all wait six months until we consider subscribing to Creative Cloud- that way we'll "torpedo the 2013 adoption projections","
I'll see your 2014 and raise you 2015! ;-)

I only upgrade every other release and I just got CS6 so I have no intention of even considering a Creative Cloud subscription for another 2 years when I would normally upgrade and I will not subscribe unless Adobe provides an option to buy should I opt out of the subscription service in the future. I'll simply move on to other software at that point. There is too much good software out there to be held hostage by Adobe.

I think Adobe wants to be like the Cable TV companies locking people into contracts with bundled packages that you don't need. I'm trying to get away from that, not sign up for more.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]