FORUMS: list search recent posts

So will we actually see new features regularly in the video apps when CC is released?

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
So will we actually see new features regularly in the video apps when CC is released?
on May 15, 2013 at 10:07:19 pm

I've been on the Cloud for a year now and I remember when I signed up it was mentioned that new features would be added to the software ahead of any major releases, as far as I can see there were no major features added to the video CS6 apps in this period.

Will features actually be added more regularly when Adobe CC is launched?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David McGavran
Re: So will we actually see new features regularly in the video apps when CC is released?
on May 15, 2013 at 10:29:48 pm

I can never promise anything, but the ability for apps to release when they have features ready is a big feature of Creative Cloud.

Cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
Re: So will we actually see new features regularly in the video apps when CC is released?
on May 15, 2013 at 10:35:58 pm

While the video side of things hasn't seen much action yet, Photoshop and Illustrator did have significant new features added to the cloud versions during the past year.

What would make the cloud more attractive to me from the video perspective- perhaps more so than more frequent features- is video review capabilities being added to Behance. I remember when Premiere Pro 2 came out Adobe introduced a great feature called "Clip Notes" that let you encode to a flash video that you could then upload to the web and send someone an email with a link to it- and they could then watch it and type in comments about things that needed to be changed. They then sent you a file that you brought into Premiere, and their comments were there on the timeline. It was a great idea and I don't know why Adobe killed it. I imagine with the cloud and Behance something like that could be done very seamlessly now, with more capabilities.

Of course, until they sort out the licensing fiasco I'm not going any farther than CS6 for serious work, no matter what gets added to the cloud. But something like this would be nice to see.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 15, 2013 at 10:47:32 pm

[Greg Andonian] "What would make the cloud more attractive to me from the video perspective- perhaps more so than more frequent features- is video review capabilities being added to Behance."

Hi Greg,
Behance already has the option of embedding video, like Vimeo and YouTube. Users can leave comments below the video. Would that work?

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 15, 2013 at 11:43:19 pm

[Kevin Monahan] Behance already has the option of embedding video, like Vimeo and YouTube. Users can leave comments below the video. Would that work?

Can you download the comments and bring them into Premiere? That was the really nice thing about clip notes- it allowed you to see all the changes that needed to be made as you were editing.

Also, after giving it some thought, it seems like it would be better if the video was hosted within Creative Cloud instead of going through Youtube or vimeo- maybe upload it to your cloud storage that comes with it or something. That way you wouldn't have to clog your Youtube channel with unfinished videos that are only there temporarily to get feedback on them. I also wonder how a client for a high-profile project would feel about an edit-in-progress being hosted on Youtube. I know you can do a private channel there, but doesn't that take away the ability to embed it somewhere else?

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on May 16, 2013 at 5:33:32 pm

Hi Kevin,

Why not take a look at Wiredrive or Interdubs? This type of functionality in Behance would really be something.

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 16, 2013 at 6:18:47 pm

[Sandeep Sajeev] "This type of functionality in Behance would really be something."

Sandeep,
Love your ideas. Any feature request would be most helpful: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 15, 2013 at 10:58:02 pm

[Greg Andonian] "Of course, until they sort out the licensing fiasco I'm not going any farther than CS6 for serious work, "

Yep. with some truly horrible regret. PPro7 is Mata Hari waving the seven veils... as Al Mooney doffs his hat.
But there is just no bloody way. As in to say - we don't have to say no forever - we just have to torpedo the 2013 CC adoption projections, and presume nobody notices we are doing that. thankfully wall street are effectively morons.

#adobe2014

Six months people. All we have to do is not touch the thing for six months. surely that is not impossible?

It would be a really, really useful statement, and adobe could actually miss guidance by a country mile.
Even if the bald understanding was that we were holding our breath.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 16, 2013 at 12:11:14 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] Six months people. All we have to do is not touch the thing for six months. surely that is not impossible?

That should be easy for me. I'm still in CS5 land, so CS6 still looks amazing to me. Just having adjustment layers and that awesome new trimming stuff will hold me over for a while. So that's where I'm going to set my sights until this thing gets sorted out.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on May 16, 2013 at 1:40:44 am

Adobe promised upgrades as soon as available but it did not specify any app so in reality you can g years without any upgrade to you usuall app while they upgrade the ones you dont use. But they never promised. Then you might ask. What is the definition of an upgrade? It could be anything they think is an upgrade.

Ricardo

Dont drink the koolaid dont cc

Return to posts index

Daniel McClintock
on May 18, 2013 at 5:17:45 pm

[Greg Andonian] " I remember when Premiere Pro 2 came out Adobe introduced a great feature called "Clip Notes" that let you encode to a flash video that you could then upload to the web and send someone an email with a link to it- and they could then watch it and type in comments about things that needed to be changed. They then sent you a file that you brought into Premiere, and their comments were there on the timeline. It was a great idea and I don't know why Adobe killed it."

They didn't quite "kill" it, they just moved it to another application. I discovered this when I moved to CC master collection a year ago. You can send your video through a PDF created in Acrobat Pro. What I liked about it is that it gives your client the ability to add not just notes, but the ability to actually draw on the video. This is great when the client is talking about color correction, etc. The notes are tied into the video's own time code. Plus, since the notes are tied into a server, the client looks at the file and his notes are updated to me in nearly real time -- no need to send it back and forth via E-mail. They call this the Review Tracker. (I have actually had a client on the phone -- he's looking at his file and as we're talking, he would draw on the video, I would update my copy and see the area he was concerned about. It's was almost like he was with me in the edit suite.)

This link is a bit old, but still relevant:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/working-with-acrobat-x-suite/sharing-video-using-...

Hope this helps a bit.

----------------------------

"Sometimes Life Needs a Cmd-Z!"

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 15, 2013 at 11:09:41 pm

Yes, we will be delivering more frequent improvements.

The After Effects product manager, Steve Forde, has already publicly mentioned our target of having several significant improvements available by the fall of this year.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on May 16, 2013 at 1:38:49 am

[Todd Kopriva] "Yes, we will be delivering more frequent improvements."

Sounds great. I'll look forward to upgrading once Adobe offers a perpetual license option again.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 16, 2013 at 2:19:10 am

James,
Sorry. There are no plans for perpetual licensing, and all new features are delivered via Creative Cloud.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 16, 2013 at 1:14:29 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "There are no plans for perpetual licensing, and all new features are delivered via Creative Cloud."

In this game of chicken, who will blink first?

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 16, 2013 at 3:07:45 pm

Hi Gary,
I'm only the support guy here trying to make sure everyone has the correct info.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on May 16, 2013 at 5:31:01 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "Sorry. There are no plans for perpetual licensing, and all new features are delivered via Creative Cloud."

Just wanted someone at Adobe to understand my purchase plans. I have no interest in CC and since there is no more CS I'll just have to stick CS6 for as long as possible. Fortunately, for my work that shouldn't be an issue as far as After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator are concerned. I was interested in trying out the new Premiere, but since I prefer FCPX anyway at this point I will stick with that.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 16, 2013 at 7:36:10 pm

[James Culbertson] "Just wanted someone at Adobe to understand my purchase plans. I have no interest in CC and since there is no more CS I'll just have to stick CS6 for as long as possible. Fortunately, for my work that shouldn't be an issue as far as After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator are concerned. I was interested in trying out the new Premiere, but since I prefer FCPX anyway at this point I will stick with that."

Hi James,
Sounds like you have made a plan. Sorry we could not offer you a better solution.

While we would like everyone currently using our software to move to the Creative Cloud, suffice it to say, it's probably not the best fit for absolutely everyone.

I only ask that you keep an open mind and that maybe some day you will find it compelling enough to subscribe to the Creative Cloud. I think that some things might be really great in the future, such as, Adobe Anywhere for subscription holders.

Best,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on May 16, 2013 at 7:03:01 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "Yes, we will be delivering more frequent improvements.

The After Effects product manager, Steve Forde, has already publicly mentioned our target of having several significant improvements available by the fall of this year."

But Todd, once you have a sizeable user base in the cloud, what's the incentive to do so, specially with After Effects, which doesn't have as much competition as, let's say, AME, Encore or Premiere?
Traditionally, Adobe has put their efforts in major upgrades in a few of the suite's applications. It makes business sense. For instance, it can be argued that, should CC was CS7 with a perpetual licence, just the new features in After Effects justify the price of upgrading the whole suite (depending, of course, on each business type of work). If Encore remains pretty much the same as in CS5, well, the inclusion of Cinema4d and improvements on rotobezier compensate for it.
But once customers are forced to keep paying, why put money in serious updates to After Effects?

Adobe is essentially, eliminating one of their main competitors: Adobe itself.

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on May 16, 2013 at 9:14:31 pm

Really not much of a change here from my point of view. Prior we had to make great products so people would buy the product or the upgrade. Now we need to make great products so people stay in the subscription or join. Either way we keep making great products :) Good for you, fun for us...

Cheers

Dave

David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 16, 2013 at 11:38:54 pm

but that's just simply not true, you can say its all roses, but there is an incredible urge to call Pinocchio: the subscription, with near monopoly across parts of the suite, is designed as a lock in, it just is. we keep paying, we don't own any software, and all the web, print and video assets, are effectively held hostage to keep paying.

Some idiot apologists online are trying to argue whether people revisit old assets - ask anyone with corporate customers, or people who prepare long term brand assets.

adobe are trying to strong arm their entire customer base into doing something they simply do not want to do. saying anything else, saying how its going to be "fun" is simply a LIE at this point.

[David McGavran] "Good for you, fun for us..."

yes, well one part of that statement about this situation is true. Adobe is gone flat out crazy here.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]