FORUMS: list search recent posts

Oh DAMN.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Oh DAMN.
on Aug 3, 2016 at 9:57:07 am

Just looked at my credit card statement.

A year ago Adobe was nice and gave me a free year of Photo Subscription because I had a major hassle getting a double subscription cancelled.

Two months after they gave it to me, Noticed the old subscription that we thought was cancelled was still being billed. I'd famously spent a full hour on the phone trying to kill it but after a super long session on hold, I got tired of messing with it and decided to let the monthly draw go un-challenged since I was using the software anyway. I expected the free subscription to expire and all would be well. One subscription - one payment, fair is fair.

Can you guess?

Yep. Without my lifting a finger, my "free" subscription has now suddenly converted to a second monthly draw and I'm now paying two times a month for my single subscription!

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Oh DAMN.
on Aug 3, 2016 at 11:58:03 pm

[Bill Davis] "Don't know whether to laugh or cry."

Why wouldn't you be laughing? Smells like another free year to me.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 5, 2016 at 6:52:52 pm

Two billings a month doesn't sound like a deal to me. CS6 and out.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, Resolve 12.3.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15": 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Aug 9, 2016 at 4:08:26 am
Last Edited By Gabe Strong on Aug 9, 2016 at 4:12:36 am

[Gary Huff] "Why wouldn't you be laughing? Smells like another free year to me."

Not sure if you are joking here...but if not maybe look at his post again.
He is paying two times a month for one subscription....not getting anything
free. Or are you saying he should hit them up for another free year since they
messed up again? Maybe that's what you mean....that might work!

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:28:49 pm

Just to be clear, I'm not alleging that Adobe messed up anything OTHER than when their computers crashed in mid-sign up during my original purchase - and I had to re-do the transaction - eventually leaving me with those dual subscriptions.

Folks I know at Adobe and through this forum then spent time with me and TRIED to help me clear it up - and I'm extremely appreciative of that.

But at the end of the day, the problem just got postponed. -And it's now it's back. IMO, the SYSTEM Adobe has in place to solve subscriptions issues, basically wasn't able to actually fix things at a time and effort cost that any reasonable person should be willing to accept. I hope it's better now.

And that's not just an Adobe thing, clearly.

I saw a big story on multiple feeds yesterday where the Donald Trump campaign is having the same issues about sticky subscriptions - entirely NOT related to the software industry in ANY way except that the design of the payment system they set up is, perhaps, a tiny bit similar. And their "customers" trying to reverse "auto-contributions" are upset in a similar fashion to what I've experienced.

According to the stories, it appears that individuals who signed up - only to become disillusioned for whatever reason - are upset because they too can't easily get their subscriptions stopped. According to the stories, there are actually NO "un-subscribe" buttons on the web site at all. Plus no "call someone to help" facility (Totally unlike Adobe, btw, who DOES have customer service lines in place, even if I've personally been unable to successfully use that system to untangle my own issues.)

From day one, THAT is what I've been concerned about.

In subscriptions, the laws and regulations are such that it's possible for a vendor to make to make it SUPER easy for people to Opt In - but then make it significantly more difficult for them to Opt Out. Traditional remedy's like going to your financial institution for relief ALSO aren't very effective. I related before how my bank manager told me her hands are tied in these recurring transactions - regulations say they cannot stop them exclusively on a customers request. This is how the banking laws governing the contracts of recurring payments apparently operate.

I'm posting here as a warning to all again. Given a re-do, I'd simply NEVER use anything but a one-time temp pre-paid card to sign up for ANYTHING in subscriptions EVER again.

That positively does NOT stop you from subscribing to anything you like. It just puts some of the power to control the subscription back in your hands once a month or once a year - since you can effectively terminate the payments by not re-loading or connection an additional temp card. It's inconvenient, but so is a year of auto-draws to pay for something you may no longer wish to pay for.

I'm probably going to pay another month or two on my dual Adobe subscriptions because I'm super busy right now trying to wrap things up for an extended late summer trip to Hawaii for my Nephew's wedding - and I just don't have time to mess with it right now.

Sigh.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 10, 2016 at 7:12:30 pm

Certainly sounds like a headache, Bill. Companies should make Opting-out as easy as Opting-in.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 11, 2016 at 4:15:16 pm

Oh fudge only I didn't say fudge . . .

I believe you can purchase a 1 year plan at your local Best Buy store. The downside is you have to pay for the entire subscription upfront but at least you don't have to worry about any potential billing issues as you would with a credit card. Not sure how secure this is but probably less risky then handing out your bank information online though with the security breaches at retailers in the past few years you never know. In the event I might choose to subscribe again I will buy the plan at my local Best Buy store.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 11, 2016 at 6:02:12 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Companies should make Opting-out as easy as Opting-in."

Yes, they sure should.

Autodesk does this pretty well. I've started and stopped monthly seats of Maya a few times without any issue. Knowing that I can turn it off so easily makes it a lot easier to decide to turn it on in the first place. Adobe should learn from this.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]