FORUMS: list search recent posts

the stupidity of adobe.

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
the stupidity of adobe.
on Jul 31, 2016 at 1:48:36 am

say there is a london client you are trying to beg to update their version of AE - not for personal preference - because a major release can't play footage in real time.

The After Effects CC 2015 primary release can't play in real time with audio. The .3 release does. Ok - that's an entertaining thing, but still. The problem is my client is a subset of an American parent. They don't have a clear route to fix it - it's involved. They can't patch it. There's no CC cloud install app locally by design.

This is funny three different ways - adobe produced a version of after effects that can't operate in real time, they barely acknowledged the issue, and there is no local CC app available in the menu bar depending on what company you're working for.

I actually asked them if they were running a bootleg because there was no local route to update. It's a dead local install. They begged to differ because they are massive. It's a legal version of the suite that looks a lot like a bootleg version.

http://ogallchoir.prosite.com/
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: the stupidity of adobe.
on Jul 31, 2016 at 12:23:38 pm

They are most likely on an Adobe enterprise license. In that case, an IT person within the company (or someone else authorized to do this) must create a custom installer build for their own machines. That person has access to the full Adobe apps, but then they create a customized installer with only the apps that department wants to use. It does not work the same way as an individual or team account. The local manager needs to contact that person within the company and get the build they want. However, it's possible that since this recent update is still within "2015", you might be able to use the standard "update" menu item within AE and get the current patch without going through all the internal politics.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 1, 2016 at 5:55:44 am

[Oliver Peters] "
They are most likely on an Adobe enterprise license. In that case, an IT person within the company (or someone else authorized to do this) must create a custom installer build for their own machines. That person has access to the full Adobe apps, but then they create a customized installer with only the apps that department wants to use. It does not work the same way as an individual or team account. The local manager needs to contact that person within the company and get the build they want. However, it's possible that since this recent update is still within "2015", you might be able to use the standard "update" menu item within AE and get the current patch without going through all the internal politics."

Ran into this recently. I'm working for a large company and everything is locked down by IT, but someone managed to update their PPro to 2015.3. Which, of course, meant that when I came in 3hrs early to get a jump start on a big project with a looming deadline the project file that was handed off to me wouldn't open on my machine (which was running 2015.2 like it was supposed to). Luckily I had my personal laptop with me so I downloaded 2015.3, opened the project, exported and XML and opened that up on the work machine.

I didn't lose a lot of time, but it's irritating that it happened at all. To keep everyone compatible is one reason why IT locks down the machines. It's not Adobe's fault that large companies don't give all their employees admin rights. Have your client talk to their IT and get it done properly is my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 5, 2016 at 6:49:59 pm

Sounds like multiple incompatible versions of the software being constantly released. That is, a basic problem with the CC model of distribution. Moving to Resolve and some FCPX. Use Photoshop CS6 maybe a few times a month.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, Resolve 12.3.1, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15": 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 5, 2016 at 9:12:06 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "That is, a basic problem with the CC model of distribution. "

How so? If you have a project in the current version of X AFAIK you can't open it in an older version of X. I know for sure you couldn't do it with FCP Legend. Not sure if Resolve 11 will a Resolve 12.5 project file or not. Off the top of my head Avid MC is the only one that is really good at letting you create projects in the latest version and have them still be readable by older versions.

It's not a distribution model problem, it's a working someplace where IT has the computers on lockdown problem (which is common at bigger companies). I ran into this problem all the time when I worked for a very large conglomerate about 10yrs ago. Our computers were always running older versions of software so when an outside vender would send us an AE project file from the latest version (this was all during the CS days mind you) we'd have to bang on IT's door to come upgrade our machines. And of course it wasn't just 'our' machines that would have to be upgraded but everyones' to avoid in-office compatibility problems. Not a painless task which is one reason we were always slow to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 7, 2016 at 7:47:50 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Aug 7, 2016 at 7:48:07 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "How so? If you have a project in the current version of X AFAIK you can't open it in an older version of X. I know for sure you couldn't do it with FCP Legend. Not sure if Resolve 11 will a Resolve 12.5 project file or not. "

Now Andrew, don't let the facts get in the way of an Adobe snark!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]