FORUMS: list search recent posts

McAfee forced on me by Adobe

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Pettit
McAfee forced on me by Adobe
on Apr 11, 2016 at 1:08:48 am

The limit to how low Adobe is willing to drop keeps descending lower. Every time I think I'm finished cursing this company, in the interest of my own sanity, they sink lower.

Apparently there is yet ANOTHER serious security threat posed by the Flash player, nothing new. Having this brought to my attention by well interventioned individuals, I installed the update, and before I could stop it the installer forced McAfee and something called "true key" on my system with NO OPTION to choose not to. I have spent YEARS avoiding the McAfee plague every time I update that damn Flash player for very good reasons.

Now Adobe has apparently decided that I no longer need any choices regarding security as well as subscriptions.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: McAfee forced on me by Adobe
on Apr 11, 2016 at 2:19:18 am

There's a pretty strong argument going on here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/985413?tstart=0

The Adobe Rep is insisting that with the proper install webpage, an opt-out option is blatently displayed, although many are arguing that there was no such thing. I have no opinion on it, since I haven't run across it (yet). I am virulently anti McAfee. The last PC I purchased came with a free install of McAfee. I decided to try it, and within the first half hour of using the computer, a virus got through. Luckily, I had just made the Windows backup discs, and was able to get my system back, but I will never use McAfee software again.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Apr 11, 2016 at 2:55:53 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "There's a pretty strong argument going on here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/985413?tstart=0"

Thanks Joseph for posting, but that appears to be from 2012, am I wrong?

[Joseph W. Bourke] "
The Adobe Rep is insisting that with the proper install webpage, an opt-out option is blatantly displayed, although many are arguing that there was no such thing."

Let me state this without any equivocation: Adobe's Flash installer just installed McAfee on my system, without my permission and without warning, making my entire system vulnerable to poor performance, slowing response and invasion of core functions from browser and beyond.

I've been avoiding this infection for years, in spite of Adobe's flagrant attempts to trick people into installing it, I know what I'm doing. I didn't "accidentally" click on the wrong button or accidentally NOT UN-click a McAfee button.

Adobe used its failure to address security risks as a backdoor to force unwanted, invasive software on unsuspecting users.

I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Apr 11, 2016 at 3:13:01 am

Here is a snapshot of the current Adobe Flash update page. This is where the option to avoid the McAfee nightmare has been offered by Adobe for years (btw with the option defaulted to "yes" for those not paying attention.

Where is the option to avoid McAfee?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 11, 2016 at 12:31:27 pm

No, Chris - you are right. I should have double-checked the date. I didn't even look at it, assuming this sort of thing couldn't happen twice. Whoops!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 11, 2016 at 1:47:53 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Apr 11, 2016 at 2:37:00 pm

[Chris Pettit] "The limit to how low Adobe is willing to drop keeps descending lower. Every time I think I'm finished cursing this company, in the interest of my own sanity, they sink lower."

This has been tied to the Flash player download for AGES, and is absolutely nothing new. So how do you sink lower on something you've been doing for decades? It makes no sense and, instead, makes it seem like you're having a slow morning and just needed something to complain about.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:59:15 am

[Gary Huff] "
This has been tied to the Flash player download for AGES, and is absolutely nothing new. So how do you sink lower on something you've been doing for decades? It makes no sense and, instead, makes it seem like you're having a slow morning and just needed something to complain about."

So what, are you saying I photoshoped the screen shot I posted? Where do you think I got that screen shot if not from the Adobe download page? I take it your theory is that I and all the other people that keep saying this are all delusional?

BTW I have never been as busy as I am right now. I haven't had a real day off in almost 3 months, but thanks for the condescension about slow mornings.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 13, 2016 at 3:14:05 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Apr 13, 2016 at 3:15:14 pm

[Chris Pettit] "So what, are you saying I photoshoped the screen shot I posted?

Nope.

Where do you think I got that screen shot if not from the Adobe download page?

From the Adobe download page.

I take it your theory is that I and all the other people that keep saying this are all delusional?

Nope.

Clearly you want Adobe to reach in and disable your ad blocking software. The benefit being that it would give you something else to complain about Adobe stepping down to a "new low", right? Win win!

BTW I have never been as busy as I am right now. I haven't had a real day off in almost 3 months, but thanks for the condescension about slow mornings.

Uh huh, that's why you felt like I so needed to know about that. You must have some extremely thin-skin. How in the world do you deal with clients on a day-to-day basis?

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Apr 13, 2016 at 9:13:28 pm

I tested the Flash download page in five (5) different browsers: Chrome, Opera, IE11, Firefox, and Firefox Developer.

In all five I am presented with different options.

In IE11 the optional offer is to install Google Chrome and make it my default browser. And install the Google Toolbar.

In Opera the optional offer is to install Google Chrome, and make it my default browser.

In Firefox I am presented by the offer to install Intel True Key (a password manager).

In Firefox Developer the optional offer is to install BOTH McAffee AND Intel Truekey.

In Chrome I have no option to download Flash, because it is part of Chrome, and Google took control of the Flash installation.

In my opinion it is shameful for a large corporation to automatically check these options in the first place. I expect this kind of behaviour from small companies which rely on third-party revenue to keep developing costs down. Not from Adobe.

Moral of the story: turn off the automatic update of Flash, and have it notify you when an update becomes available. And pay attention to the "optional offers". Turn those off.

@Chris: as far as I can tell, once you have opted out or in, Adobe will not offer you the option again. I always download the latest Flash player with Firefox, and I am also logged into my Adobe account. I suspect Adobe's servers keep track of what you have opted for in the past, and adjusts this download screen accordingly.

On the other hand, it seems the installer automatically installed that junk on your machine, which would be very, very wrong. But I have a feeling you might have opted in somehow. Perhaps not, though.

Anyway, it is a reprehensible method of doing business. These opt-ins should just be removed altogether, or AT THE VERY LEAST be turned off by default.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Apr 14, 2016 at 12:21:56 am

[Herbert van der wegen] "
@Chris: as far as I can tell, once you have opted out or in, Adobe will not offer you the option again. I always download the latest Flash player with Firefox, and I am also logged into my Adobe account. I suspect Adobe's servers keep track of what you have opted for in the past, and adjusts this download screen accordingly."

I never opted in, in fact while I find it beyone annoying every time I'm forced to un-click those installs just to get a security update, I still do it religiously. So I've never given any indication whatsoever to Adobe or anyone esle that I wanted the McAfee virus (yes, in my opinion its a virus)

That said, you may be right that somewhere along the way, the website (cookies??) may have lost its mind and decided that I am a loyal Mcafee user, and then removed the option to un-click it. But that would require trust in Adobe, and I have none.

Either way, the only thing I can tell you is that I didnt ask for McAfee or True-Key, I dont want them, its sleazy for Adobe to keep pushing them, and it has absolutely nothing to do with "ad blocking software"

Thanks for your input Herbert

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2016 at 12:38:02 am

I believe there should be some way of uninstalling the unwelcome "guest" in the control panel. I have not been on Windows lately so just a guess.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Apr 14, 2016 at 1:25:27 am

[David Mathis] "I believe there should be some way of uninstalling the unwelcome "guest" in the control panel. I have not been on Windows lately so just a guess."

That's not the issue David. Uninstalling software is something I've been doing since 1994. On all machines, but especially Windows, uninstalling software is easy, but your registry begins to fill up over time with miscellaneous crap from these kinds of unwanted apps, particularly invasive apps like McAfee. Eventually you need to a complete cleaning of the registry which can brings its own risk and challenges.

On numerous occasions I've been forced to simply re-install the entire OS and then re-install all the apps and all the plug-ins etc. simply because crap software slowly (over time) found its way onto my system.

I work very hard to avoid software that is not wanted. When it sneaks in anyway I get a little testy.

So should you.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2016 at 1:56:12 am

Understood. I did run AVG at least once a month to clean oudated files in addition to cleaning the registery. It is that constant Winows update cycle that can junk up your computer.

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Apr 14, 2016 at 2:26:02 am

Sigh.

FYI: I have fairly expensive IT advisors who have told me that AVG is a huge risk, particularly the free version. I had to uninstall it from several systems on their advice.

Just sayin'.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Apr 14, 2016 at 6:17:36 am

I agree - I avoid AVG myself.

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]