FORUMS: list search recent posts

last rant

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
last rant
on Mar 20, 2016 at 11:38:30 pm

on the cc numbers - one last rant on this forum too.

I made a post ages ago around how 2-3 days of paid work pay for a year of the CC tool suite. Shantanyu Narayen, that terrible devil with a trendy beard lately, did an interview recently on the ARR - he referenced adobe primetime and the push they're making.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/marketing-cloud/primetime-tv-platform.html

My own trepidation with CC was the subscriber bills, and how far north they could go. In hindsight that feels a little simplistic. This is starting to look a bit Netflix.
Our carefully manageable bills feel a piece of a broader push. Given if we're present at scale - their production content eco-system is present at scale.

I'm half inclined to think we are not due radical price increases any time soon at all. (Prove me wrong mad Narayen.)
And if we're reliably not, this is cheap as chips in terms of software transparency to future clients.

In the end, I would very much like adobe to succeed in their endeavours, because then we're maybe sitting pretty here at the core. Two days work for complete interchange transparency across the entire business gamut of CC isn't the worst thing I've ever heard of.

the vergecast on the 360 VR Michelle Obama piece is really worth listening to. Three members of the panel spend the entire time talking about adobe software add-ons across premiere and after effects. It's compelling. In terms of temperament, neither Avid or X are applicable to that scenario. Listen to the podcast. They reference adobe interchange workflow all over the place.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11179572/first-lady-michelle-obama-vr-int...

Avid is great, fcpx isn't going away, but neither is a burgeoning software content tool system exploding in all directions. That Michelle Obama piece, with the people working it, and lord they sounded so solidly smart - that happened with adobe tools. If it's at scale, the price likely stays low. And then we're left with this consistent common creation market platform Netflix style thing operating front to back at a global scale. That sounds terrible.

http://ogallchoir.prosite.com/
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Re: last rant
on Mar 21, 2016 at 12:26:23 am

That sounds great. But the issue to most is no tool after no subscription. Just a bunch of content that you cant rework or just experiment on.

Ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 22, 2016 at 3:08:45 am

[Ricardo Marty] "Just a bunch of content that you cant rework or just experiment on."

If so, then you're doing it wrong.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 21, 2016 at 3:45:11 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] " This is starting to look a bit Netflix. "

Netflix is the PERFECT example.

Remember in 2011 when they changed the pricing model? They broke out the physical disks and streaming separately, effectively causing a 66% price increase for anyone who wanted to keep doing both, all because their man was convinced that streaming was the future. They lost 800,000 customers in a single quarter, the stock tanked, and people wondered if the company would survive.

Nifty article about it here, Netflix's lost year: The inside story of the price-hike train wreck.

Although you can actually skip it. LOL It was written in 2012, a year after Netflix's move, and whaddya know? By then, the ship had more than righted itself. The general conclusion was, welp, maybe they'll do okay if they don't shoot themselves in the weiner again.

That's really the only reason to read it, to see how ridiculous it sounds NOW to have been so adamant that Netflix was wrong to bet so heavily on streaming, and to be certain that customers might never get over it. Wrong, and wrong.

TODAY, even the conclusion that "maybe they'll be okay after all" looks so timid and tepid as to be laughable. Although, in fairness, I'm not sure that even the giddiest Netflix booster had any idea just how successful Netflix would become.

There's one big difference with Adobe, though. Some customers left Adobe, yes, but gloomy prognostications to the contrary, never in anything like Netflix-like numbers. As of the most recent report, digital media revenue jumped 33% to the highest levels in company history. And not only did the stock never tank, it has multiplied more quickly than all but a handful of companies anywhere in tech.

And indeed, like Netflix, Adobe's price has shown no signs of shooting up. Adobe seems to have found a level that's not only sustainable, but again like Netflix, enough money for the company to grow on as they continue to add customers, month after month.

Another classically trenchant observation, Aindreas. I hope we see you again soon. :-)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 21, 2016 at 3:48:50 am

Heavens, I just read that Michelle Obama VR/Adobe technology article -- amaaaaazing. One of the best things I've seen in ages. Thanks for pointing that out!

Here's the link again for anyone who missed it. Don't. http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11179572/first-lady-michelle-obama-vr-int...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 21, 2016 at 7:31:45 pm

interesting isn't it? the vergecast on how they researched current 360 recording tech and put it all together comes off like a caper movie.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/17/11254390/vergecast-197-live-stream-podcas...

I have a lot of time for the verge. lots of smart young peeps.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 21, 2016 at 8:33:55 pm

Holy (creative) cow, another gobsmacking presentation.

Y'know, I think of myself as very much on top of tech, but the 360 vs. VR conversation never would have crossed my mind.

My two big takeaways are:

a) Wow, VR and 360 have completely blown past the "annoying gimmick/it'll never catch on" phase, and are well into the "that's amazing/I can't wait to see what's next" phase.

b) Wow, I have a lot of catching up to do. Turns out that there's more to the production world than software business models. LOL

Thanks for the tips. I remember giving up on The Verge in the early days when it seemed like little more than a tepid mix of c|net and Tech Crunch leftovers. When I see things like this, they're now looking more compelling than those other two combined.

Not that any of these three is trying to replace the others, but The Verge now goes straight to the top of the list.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 21, 2016 at 9:24:19 pm

Indeed sure. If you haven't already - order google cardboard and stick your smartphone into it. It works great with the 6 iphone.
It's lo res fidelity but the NYT VR app I found slightly mind blowing. The walking New York film has some utterly crazy moments.

A facebook friend who cuts documentaries well enough that the last thing she did got cinema runs with a famous actor sponsor bought google cardboard off a back and forth - and then she posted pictures of herself and her friend holding google cardboard up to their eyes and losing their minds. She is a stone cold minted factual editor. But the thing is, a lot of what is in the NYT VR app is effectively forms of documentary. But Lord it's a transformatively different experience.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 21, 2016 at 10:44:09 pm

I just now went to Amazon and ordered a pair for $13.99, including strap and noseguard. Good ol' Amazon Prime: it'll be here Wednesday. I'll definitely let you know how it goes!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2016 at 5:10:38 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Wow, VR and 360 have completely blown past the "annoying gimmick/it'll never catch on" phase, and are well into the "that's amazing/I can't wait to see what's next" phase."

We've completed a couple of Oculus Rift VR projects in the last year, using the Unity game engine to render our stereo 3D world, all in real time. It's fun to see our standard tools adding VR support, but I'm really intrigued by the production possibilities with non-traditional production tools like Unity.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 24, 2016 at 12:07:53 am

[Walter Soyka] "We've completed a couple of Oculus Rift VR projects in the last year, using the Unity game engine to render our stereo 3D world, all in real time. "

Wait, what? What does this MEAN? LOL

Can I see it myself somehow? My Google cardboard just arrived today, and I'm itching for content.

Of course, I have to fold 'em up first. But I'm hopeful that once I figure that out, I'll find some cool stuff to watch.

But I'm especially intrigued by how this worked on the creative side. What did you?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 24, 2016 at 7:23:22 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Wait, what? What does this MEAN? LOL"

We didn't shoot anything or use any video. The experience was modeled and animated in a 3D app, then textured, lit and rendered in a game engine in stereoscopic, head-tracking 3D, on a PC driving an Oculus headset. We don't have a mobile version, yet.

[Tim Wilson] "But I'm especially intrigued by how this worked on the creative side. What did you?"

A lot of experimentation. VR requires a different headspace as a designer, because you do not strictly control the audience's POV. A lot of our tried and true production techniques for guiding the eye within a frame no longer apply and a new visual language is necessary.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 25, 2016 at 9:31:32 pm

[Walter Soyka] "A lot of experimentation. VR requires a different headspace as a designer, because you do not strictly control the audience's POV. A lot of our tried and true production techniques for guiding the eye within a frame no longer apply and a new visual language is necessary."

So true. Everyone's making it up as they go along. It's not often we get a chance to participate in the invention of a completely new medium. Whether it lives up to the hype or not, it's still an exciting time to be playing with this stuff.

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 23, 2016 at 4:59:40 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Avid is great, fcpx isn't going away, but neither is a burgeoning software content tool system exploding in all directions. That Michelle Obama piece, with the people working it, and lord they sounded so solidly smart - that happened with adobe tools. If it's at scale, the price likely stays low. And then we're left with this consistent common creation market platform Netflix style thing operating front to back at a global scale. That sounds terrible.
"

Nice to see you posting again Aindreas thanks for the link to the 360 video piece, please stop by the FCPX forum soon :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]