FORUMS: list search recent posts

Competition

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainer Schubert
Competition
on Mar 15, 2016 at 1:27:10 pm

Affinity just announced, that it´s software products will soon run on Windows also.
Affinity Designer is already running as Alpha-Version.
They wrote, the Applications (Affinity photo , designer) will become available within the next 3 month.
Glad to hear.
For all of you, looking for a fair licensed replacement of Photoshop and Illustrator - have a look!
(These Apps are not that over-pimped as their matured Adobe-Archetypes. The one or other function may be missing.
But therefor they also don´t have that matured sourcecode. Realy fast)
They are also planning a replacement for InDesign in the near future (Affinity Publisher).

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Competition
on Mar 15, 2016 at 2:05:15 pm

And don't forget. CorelDraw just released X8 as well:

http://www.coreldraw.com/us/product/graphic-design-software/?sourceid=cdgsx...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 15, 2016 at 4:20:22 pm

Profoundly happy when I saw this news this AM! Now if we could just get an alternative to AE I could get off the Adobe rental merry-go-round

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 16, 2016 at 2:00:35 am

If by chance BMD were to make something familiar to Nuke Studio I would jump on board. Still hanging on to Final Cut for now. I really enjoy publishing Motion templates, a nice time saver.

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Mar 15, 2016 at 9:50:00 pm

And don't forget that Photoline v19.5 was just released for Mac and Windows as well. Vastly improved PSD import (now supports Smart Objects).

http://www.pl32.com/pages/rnote.php

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

Florian Sepp
on Mar 16, 2016 at 12:20:09 pm

I am looking forward to affinity on PC. If it is good I wouldn't have a problem If they charged more. 50 bugs is a bargain.

Florian Sepp visual arts
http://www.floriansepp.com

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 16, 2016 at 11:29:46 pm

[Florian Sepp] " If it is good I wouldn't have a problem If they charged more. 50 bugs is a bargain."

They SHOULD charge more. More money, more resources. More resources, the more likely they might be to eventually create something thats motion or animation oriented. Imagine the Affinity Photo interface and speed with animation capabilities?

I asked them a while back if they were thinking about it, they were non-committal. But they made clear that MANY people had asked the same question.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Mar 17, 2016 at 6:05:43 am

[Chris Pettit] " Imagine the Affinity Photo interface and speed with animation capabilities?"

Not that you've specifically said as much but I often see people complaining about the speed of Photoshop and listing that as one reason a competitor is necessary. What exactly are people refering to here? Everything happens pretty instantly on my sysytem. When I use the Portraiture plug in there's a half second delay in applying the changes but that's it. Complex adjustments in the likes of Liquify are applied instantaneously and I can't think of any lag anywhere else.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 17, 2016 at 1:05:52 pm

I feel the same way about PS, Domenic. I've never had any speed problems of any sort. My guess is that people are trying to run it on an anemic system.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Rainer Schubert
on Mar 17, 2016 at 3:41:52 pm
Last Edited By Rainer Schubert on Mar 17, 2016 at 3:40:13 pm

If you only use PS to manipulate photos (with a regular resolution) a bit, it´s fast enough.
Changing color, correcting a bit there and a bit there… Only a few layers...
The trouble comes with bigger files, many layers (espec. text) & masks, alphas and so on.
(I often use single files > 500 MB)
Also PS isn´t really good in handling multicore-systems.
So even on my 12 core mac I often have to wait when I use PS
(OK, PS CS - But as far as I heard there has nothing changed with that since CC)
Affinity photo is noticeable faster - without any question.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 17, 2016 at 1:46:34 pm

Really? I find even on high-powered workstations that Photoshop often lacks the fluidity I'd like. Is easy to forget once you're used to them, but Ps is full of little speed bumps. Look at all the modal dialogs and separate, walled-off UIs throughout Ps. Consider how destructive masking workflows are (in terms of modifying the masks themselves). Try transforming a group with a bunch of layers, smart objects, and smart filters.

Take a look at the Affinity Photo video. It's all sped up here, of course, but focus your attention on the feature set, UI and workflow and I think you might be impressed:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

I think Ps is an amazing tool, but I think that there's also a lot of room for improvement. I'm really excited to see Affinity coming to Windows -- both to use it and to put a little pressure on the Ps team for future releases. You can sign up for the beta here:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/windows/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Mar 17, 2016 at 1:58:01 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "What exactly are people refering to here?"

Exporting hi-res PNGs with Alpha channels alone is absurdly slow, just one example.

The interface is antiquated, the color management system is confusing and unnecessarily clunky. Photoshop is really old software that Adobe seems to have had trouble bringing up to date on a series of different levels. Watch the tutorials for Affinity photo. It's elegant, fast, well thought out and built on all new code by comparison.

I'm not a still designer or web UX guy. But I use photoshop every day for the editing and prep of imagery for use in other apps, usually AE. Really looking forward to leaving PS in my rear view mirror.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 17, 2016 at 2:03:59 pm

[Chris Pettit] "Photoshop is really old software that Adobe seems to have had trouble bringing up to date on a series of different levels. Watch the tutorials for Affinity photo. It's elegant, fast, well thought out and built on all new code by comparison."

Photoshop's maturity is both a blessing and a curse.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Mar 24, 2016 at 5:40:06 pm

That's interesting, I thought they probably would come out with Windows versions of the products. On the Mac side, I am still using Adobe CS5 Creative Suite (Standard) but have also purchased Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. And it has been actually one of those things that although I've been happy with both PS & AI CS5, Adobe hasn't been able to entice into the whole CC sphere of influence. Actually of course, it's because PS and AI CS5 can do everything I want them to do that I haven't felt the slightest need to jump on the bandwagon/drink the kook-aid/etc.

But you're right, Affinity's pricing is right, and I assume that their upgrades will be a straight $50, or whatever. Actually for me, Illustrator is sort of in the crosshairs since I've always thought it was a bit clunky. Just recently I bought the Astute Graphics Vectorscribe plugin to overcome some of its shortcomings. And Joseph, that's another good point. In the past I had used CorelDRAW and someone I was even teaching some AE stuff to remarked that "you're the only Mac person I've ever seen using CorelDRAW" and at the time, I definitely found it to be much easier and intuitive to use than AI.

PS on the other hand is something I honestly don't think I'll really replace with Photo and I'll admit I bought it 'cause they had it on sale for $40. People are complaining about Photoshop's "tool and menu bloat", but I think that it's really because it is just a high-powered graphics beast. In the main interface you can do all your basic stuff and if you need to get more involved, sure you have to dig deeper into it, but I think that is just part of the territory.

Rainer, have you done enough already with Designer to do an honest comparison between it and AI? The problem is, I've only played around a little bit with it and haven't yet been able to wean myself away from AI to truly get a feel for it. Right away the paradigm seems very similar, and aside from some fancy shapes I haven't come upon anything that totally blows me away. (Sometimes I'm wary of some reviews on the web where some people almost seem to be experiencing a "placebo effect," i.e., it's different so it's "better".)

Return to posts index

Herbert van der wegen
on Mar 26, 2016 at 7:57:38 am

Toonz as used by Studio Ghibli is now open source!

https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html

Today Toonz Ghibli version enters the open source arena. Download it for free, and enjoy production-proven 2d animation tools used in every Ghibli feature since Princess Mononoke and by the creators of Futurama.

I have been playing around with it for a couple of hours, and it is quite impressive for a 31mb download:
- x-sheet based timeline
- curves
- keyframe based tweening for transformations, graph editor
- paricle systems
- node-based Compositing and FX
- tracking
- vector based drawing tools
- Bones and IK based animation 2d vector-based animation
- automatic colour fill tools
- scanning tools and cleanup
- 2.5d/3d camera view
- team tools and revisioning tools
...and more!

This could serve as a rather overkill replacement for 2d animators looking for a Flash replacement.

Word of warning to the uninitiated: This is some serious in-depth 2d animation software. And it is definitely NOT for everyone - it is too much of a "work (war) horse" for that. I suggest anyone interested in using OpenToonz will need knowledge about classical 2d animation production workflows before you even open the application.

But it is absolutely AMAZING this is now open sourced. I have been looking for more traditional animation software with X-sheet functionality - THIS IS IT!

----------------
Blurb:

Toonz was first released in 1993 and has gone on to become a powerful tool for 2D animation. Besides Studio Ghibli's more recent works -- first used on 1999's Princess Mononoke -- it's also been used to produce the likes of Futurama, Asterix, and even video games such as Discworld 2. It's flexible too, able to work with old-school hand drawn animation or entirely digital productions. OpenToonz has the potential to expand the relatively insular creative world of animation, making a professional-level suite available to amateur or independent animators and bigger, established studios alike.
Don't miss
Studio Ghibli's Isao Takahata on animating his final film Studio Ghibli's Isao Takahata on animating his final film

"It is a great honour for us to be able to release OpenToonz as open source software," said Dwango chairman Nobuo Kawakami. "We'd like to express our deepest appreciation to Digital Video and Studio Ghibli for their help and support. We hope the high-quality software that meets the demands of animation professionals will contribute to revitalising the animation industry. Dwango will also utilize OpenToonz in order to present its research and development results."

The move could have big implications for Japan's anime and gaming sectors. Dwango is a major player in the country's entertainment world -- it owns game developer Spike Chunsoft, streaming video site NicoNico Douga, and merged with media giant Kadokawa in 2014 giving it influence on dozens of smaller animation houses.

While OpenToonz will be available to the masses, Digital Video will continue to develop its own Toonz Premium software fork, aimed at professionals and sold "at a very competitive price". It will also offer implementation and training in the kit.

"The contract with Dwango, which offers the Toonz open source platform to the animation community, has enabled Digital Video to realize one of its strategies: to make of Toonz a world standard for 2D animation," said Claudio Mattei, managing director at Digital Video. "This deal will also be the starting point of a new exciting plan to endorse the Open Source business model, by supporting training and customising Toonz for the old and new users. We are proud to share this path with Dwango and with Studio Ghibli, the renowned Toonz user since 1995."

/*----------------------------------------------------*/
System: Win7 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]