FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beware of Adobe Stock Service

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud Debate

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Beware of Adobe Stock Service
on Jan 3, 2016 at 9:47:10 pm
Last Edited By Morten Ranmar on Jan 5, 2016 at 7:07:59 am

Thought I might explore this new offering, since I needed some stock images, and there was a promise of discount - so I signed up for the minimum of 10 images. Or so I thought. Works out that according to the small print (that I should have scrutinized somewhat better), I have signed up for a year of monthly payments - and not just a singe transaction. Also, such a "contract" can only be broken by paying 50% of the totalling payments, but of course without getting access to even a single stock image. THIEVERY THIS IS.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: Beware of Adobe Stock Service
on Jan 7, 2016 at 5:41:31 am

Do you get to keep the images after your subscription expires or do they go poof?

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2016 at 12:24:17 am

I'm sorry it happened to you. That stinks.

But think about this -- when you're renting your software, can you REALLY expect more than the level of service you got?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 18, 2016 at 12:15:01 am

[Dave LaRonde] "can you REALLY expect more than the level of service you got?"

What service? He didn't even mention contacting Adobe.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jan 18, 2016 at 9:25:40 pm

I did actually contact Adobe to quit the "forced" subscription - but only to learn that I would have to pay a penalty for half a year of their services - but without getting any pictures : (

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:01:52 am

Despite claims otherwise - seems like software rental is not so much a customer service model - as it is a corporate revenue model.

And in your case it appears to have worked really well.

Six months of contractual payments for the company - triggered by a system where the impulsive decision to click a few buttons - without scrupulously reading ALL the fine print - transfers the transactional power from you to them.

Rejoice that it's just a small hit every month and will end in a year - unless of course, you're busy at the end of the term and it auto-renews without your noticing it!

Maybe just pay the penalty now and learn the lesson? At least then you don't have to worry about keeping the necessary timing to STOP the contract in your head for a whole year.

And remember, if you'd linked the subscription to a one-time purchase Visa gift card, at least they couldn't auto-renew it. I keep a few in my desk nowadays for just this type of thing.

Something to keep in mind.

Welcome to the new jungle.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:33:56 pm

I had Norton auto renew a product, never saw the e-mail notice until I looked in the junk folder. Lesson learned. I now write down when my subscription started, the approximate date for it to show up on my bank account and when it starts over again.

Going to read the fine print (not fine by me) just to make sure there are no additional surprises.

I was going to sign up for Red Giant Universe until I noticed they doubled the monthly subscription price but the annual membership remains the same.

As they say, never dive in to a lake without knowing how the deep water is or what could be lurking just below the surface!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 20, 2016 at 12:11:08 am

David -

I also discovered, to my chagrin, that Norton auto-renewed and billed their anti virus service. I also discovered, in the preferences online, that you can shut off the auto-renew. Of course I discovered it one round too late. But I also discovered that once you turn off the auto-renew, once you're close to your re-up date, Norton sends you an offer for about half the price of the regular annual fee...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 19, 2016 at 12:50:51 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "I did actually contact Adobe to quit the "forced" subscription - but only to learn that I would have to pay a penalty for half a year of their services"

And how long did you let it go before you contacted Adobe? Did you download any photos to use during this period?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]